Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C, UNIX: How to redirect 'stdout' to a file from a C code? Post 302983598 by alex_5161 on Thursday 13th of October 2016 04:19:09 PM
Old 10-13-2016
Thank you, jim mcnamara, it is perfectly helps!
Sure here is more than I need in my case, but everything is clear and strait forward!
Additionaly, your code keep a way to switch back that not needed right now, but could be a task later on such approach!

Also I've found useful (by another reply) the 'freopen()' C-function and did it in very simple way, too.
(... for anybody else with the same task and for myself later, here is how I did it with freopen() ) :
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <stdio.h>

using namespace std;

void redir(char* fl_nm)
{
  freopen(fl_nm,"a",stdout);
}

int main()
{
   cout << "starting - by cout\n";
   printf(" this written by printf()\n Following messages shoul go to the file '/tmp/tst_redir.log'\n");

redir((char*)"/tmp/tst_redir.log");

cout << ".. By 'cout' after using the redir(): this should be written to the file\n";
   printf(" .. By printf() after 'redir()'...\n");

return 0;
}

But, again, thanks for your solution!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

STDOUT redirect to a FILE, when fuser command is used !!

Hi all, I have the following script: ------------------------------------------------- #SCRIPT TO CHECK WHO HAS ACCESSED THE LOG/FILE IN PAST 'N' MINUTES, AND MAIL ACCORDINGLY. MYPATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="vg517@dcx.com" Subject="File accessed in last... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDOUT redirect to file and format problems

Hi All, I am using centOS. When I try to redirect STDOUT to a file, it ends up in getting some funny characters. For example ... STDOUT of the command as follows. $ ls H3k27me3 H3k36me3 H3k4me1 H3k4me2 H3k4me3 H3k9ac H4k20me1 $ ls >test $ cat test ^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chulamakuri
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
GRC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    GRC(1)

NAME
grc - frontend for generic colouriser grcat(1) SYNOPSIS
grc [options] command [args] DESCRIPTION
grc will execute command command with optional parameters [args] piping its stdout or stderr into grcat, with apropriate configuration file. Configuration file for grc is determined by /etc/grc.conf file. Format of /etc/grc.conf: each entry consists of 2 lines, between entries there can be any number of empty lines or lines beginning with # (comments) First line is regular expression, second line the name of configuration file for grcat. Configuration file after the first regular expression matching command [args] will be passed to grcat as its configuration file OPTIONS
--help Show summary of options. --version Display version. -e --stderr Redirect error output. Unless -s is selected as well, this cancels redirection of standard output via grcat -s --stdout Redirect standard output. Used to redirect standard output together with --stderr option. --colour=x x is one of on off auto --colour=on will colourise (default) --colour=off will just execute command without colourising. --colour=auto will test if standard output is a tty, and colourise only when it is. SEE ALSO
grcat(1) AUTHOR
Written by Radovan Garabik <garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk> GRC(1)