Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C, UNIX: How to redirect 'stdout' to a file from a C code? Post 302983597 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 13th of October 2016 03:52:41 PM
Old 10-13-2016
Here is sample code using dup() and dup2()- I copied this from somewhere years ago:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
    int out = open("cout.log", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_APPEND, 0600);
    if (-1 == out) { perror("opening cout.log"); return 255; }

int err = open("cerr.log", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_APPEND, 0600);
    if (-1 == err) { perror("opening cerr.log"); return 255; }

int save_out = dup(fileno(stdout));
    int save_err = dup(fileno(stderr));

if (-1 == dup2(out, fileno(stdout))) { perror("cannot redirect stdout"); return 255; }
    if (-1 == dup2(err, fileno(stderr))) { perror("cannot redirect stderr"); return 255; }

puts("doing an ls or something now");

fflush(stdout); close(out);
    fflush(stderr); close(err);

dup2(save_out, fileno(stdout));
    dup2(save_err, fileno(stderr));

close(save_out);
    close(save_err);

puts("back to normal output");

return 0;
}

From your description it does not sound like this will help you.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

STDOUT redirect to a FILE, when fuser command is used !!

Hi all, I have the following script: ------------------------------------------------- #SCRIPT TO CHECK WHO HAS ACCESSED THE LOG/FILE IN PAST 'N' MINUTES, AND MAIL ACCORDINGLY. MYPATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="vg517@dcx.com" Subject="File accessed in last... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDOUT redirect to file and format problems

Hi All, I am using centOS. When I try to redirect STDOUT to a file, it ends up in getting some funny characters. For example ... STDOUT of the command as follows. $ ls H3k27me3 H3k36me3 H3k4me1 H3k4me2 H3k4me3 H3k9ac H4k20me1 $ ls >test $ cat test ^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chulamakuri
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
NOHUP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)