Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic question on "echo"
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Basic question on "echo" Post 302983508 by ithenr00 on Wednesday 12th of October 2016 01:09:26 PM
Old 10-12-2016
Basic question on "echo"

what happens when I echo asterisk?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please don't hijack other peoples' thread; post our own new one as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 10-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Moved the post to new thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

question for "echo"

what is the mean: echo -n "^0;!*^G" thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris_chang
3 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Basic Question regarding "while" loop

Hi, I have a loop like this - while read item do // fire insert query done < itemList.txt The itemList.txt has say, 1000 records. Now what I do is that rhough another program, I make the itemList.txt EMPTY, but still the INSERT query keeps firing the sequence of records. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Simple" echo/reading variable question...

Hello, I have a simple(I think) question! Although simple, I have been unable to resolve it, so I hope someone can help! OK, here it is: 1)I have an awk script that prints something, such as: awk '{print $2}' a > x so x might hold the value of say '10' 2)Now, I just want to check to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
4 Replies

9. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies
PZLARZ(l)					      LAPACK auxiliary routine (version 1.5)						 PZLARZ(l)

NAME
PZLARZ - applie a complex elementary reflector Q to a complex M-by-N distributed matrix sub( C ) = C(IC:IC+M-1,JC:JC+N-1), from either the left or the right SYNOPSIS
SUBROUTINE PZLARZ( SIDE, M, N, L, V, IV, JV, DESCV, INCV, TAU, C, IC, JC, DESCC, WORK ) CHARACTER SIDE INTEGER IC, INCV, IV, JC, JV, L, M, N INTEGER DESCC( * ), DESCV( * ) COMPLEX*16 C( * ), TAU( * ), V( * ), WORK( * ) PURPOSE
PZLARZ applies a complex elementary reflector Q to a complex M-by-N distributed matrix sub( C ) = C(IC:IC+M-1,JC:JC+N-1), from either the left or the right. Q is represented in the form Q = I - tau * v * v' where tau is a complex scalar and v is a complex vector. If tau = 0, then Q is taken to be the unit matrix. Q is a product of k elementary reflectors as returned by PZTZRZF. Notes ===== Each global data object is described by an associated description vector. This vector stores the information required to establish the mapping between an object element and its corresponding process and memory location. Let A be a generic term for any 2D block cyclicly distributed array. Such a global array has an associated description vector DESCA. In the following comments, the character _ should be read as "of the global array". NOTATION STORED IN EXPLANATION --------------- -------------- -------------------------------------- DTYPE_A(global) DESCA( DTYPE_ )The descriptor type. In this case, DTYPE_A = 1. CTXT_A (global) DESCA( CTXT_ ) The BLACS context handle, indicating the BLACS process grid A is distribu- ted over. The context itself is glo- bal, but the handle (the integer value) may vary. M_A (global) DESCA( M_ ) The number of rows in the global array A. N_A (global) DESCA( N_ ) The number of columns in the global array A. MB_A (global) DESCA( MB_ ) The blocking factor used to distribute the rows of the array. NB_A (global) DESCA( NB_ ) The blocking factor used to distribute the columns of the array. RSRC_A (global) DESCA( RSRC_ ) The process row over which the first row of the array A is distributed. CSRC_A (global) DESCA( CSRC_ ) The process column over which the first column of the array A is distributed. LLD_A (local) DESCA( LLD_ ) The leading dimension of the local array. LLD_A >= MAX(1,LOCr(M_A)). Let K be the number of rows or columns of a distributed matrix, and assume that its process grid has dimension p x q. LOCr( K ) denotes the number of elements of K that a process would receive if K were distributed over the p processes of its process col- umn. Similarly, LOCc( K ) denotes the number of elements of K that a process would receive if K were distributed over the q processes of its process row. The values of LOCr() and LOCc() may be determined via a call to the ScaLAPACK tool function, NUMROC: LOCr( M ) = NUMROC( M, MB_A, MYROW, RSRC_A, NPROW ), LOCc( N ) = NUMROC( N, NB_A, MYCOL, CSRC_A, NPCOL ). An upper bound for these quantities may be computed by: LOCr( M ) <= ceil( ceil(M/MB_A)/NPROW )*MB_A LOCc( N ) <= ceil( ceil(N/NB_A)/NPCOL )*NB_A Because vectors may be viewed as a subclass of matrices, a distributed vector is considered to be a distributed matrix. Restrictions ============ If SIDE = 'Left' and INCV = 1, then the row process having the first entry V(IV,JV) must also own C(IC+M-L,JC:JC+N-1). Moreover, MOD(IV-1,MB_V) must be equal to MOD(IC+N-L-1,MB_C), if INCV=M_V, only the last equality must be satisfied. If SIDE = 'Right' and INCV = M_V then the column process having the first entry V(IV,JV) must also own C(IC:IC+M-1,JC+N-L) and MOD(JV-1,NB_V) must be equal to MOD(JC+N-L-1,NB_C), if INCV = 1 only the last equality must be satisfied. ARGUMENTS
SIDE (global input) CHARACTER = 'L': form Q * sub( C ), = 'R': form sub( C ) * Q. M (global input) INTEGER The number of rows to be operated on i.e the number of rows of the distributed submatrix sub( C ). M >= 0. N (global input) INTEGER The number of columns to be operated on i.e the number of columns of the distributed submatrix sub( C ). N >= 0. L (global input) INTEGER The columns of the distributed submatrix sub( A ) containing the meaningful part of the Householder reflectors. If SIDE = 'L', M >= L >= 0, if SIDE = 'R', N >= L >= 0. V (local input) COMPLEX*16 pointer into the local memory to an array of dimension (LLD_V,*) containing the local pieces of the distributed vectors V representing the Householder transfor- mation Q, V(IV:IV+L-1,JV) if SIDE = 'L' and INCV = 1, V(IV,JV:JV+L-1) if SIDE = 'L' and INCV = M_V, V(IV:IV+L-1,JV) if SIDE = 'R' and INCV = 1, V(IV,JV:JV+L-1) if SIDE = 'R' and INCV = M_V, The vector v in the representation of Q. V is not used if TAU = 0. IV (global input) INTEGER The row index in the global array V indicating the first row of sub( V ). JV (global input) INTEGER The column index in the global array V indicating the first column of sub( V ). DESCV (global and local input) INTEGER array of dimension DLEN_. The array descriptor for the distributed matrix V. INCV (global input) INTEGER The global increment for the elements of V. Only two values of INCV are supported in this version, namely 1 and M_V. INCV must not be zero. TAU (local input) COMPLEX*16, array, dimension LOCc(JV) if INCV = 1, and LOCr(IV) otherwise. This array contains the Householder scalars related to the Householder vectors. TAU is tied to the distributed matrix V. C (local input/local output) COMPLEX*16 pointer into the local memory to an array of dimension (LLD_C, LOCc(JC+N-1) ), containing the local pieces of sub( C ). On exit, sub( C ) is over- written by the Q * sub( C ) if SIDE = 'L', or sub( C ) * Q if SIDE = 'R'. IC (global input) INTEGER The row index in the global array C indicating the first row of sub( C ). JC (global input) INTEGER The column index in the global array C indicating the first column of sub( C ). DESCC (global and local input) INTEGER array of dimension DLEN_. The array descriptor for the distributed matrix C. WORK (local workspace) COMPLEX*16 array, dimension (LWORK) If INCV = 1, if SIDE = 'L', if IVCOL = ICCOL, LWORK >= NqC0 else LWORK >= MpC0 + MAX( 1, NqC0 ) end if else if SIDE = 'R', LWORK >= NqC0 + MAX( MAX( 1, MpC0 ), NUMROC( NUMROC( N+ICOFFC,NB_V,0,0,NPCOL ),NB_V,0,0,LCMQ ) ) end if else if INCV = M_V, if SIDE = 'L', LWORK >= MpC0 + MAX( MAX( 1, NqC0 ), NUMROC( NUMROC( M+IROFFC,MB_V,0,0,NPROW ),MB_V,0,0,LCMP ) ) else if SIDE = 'R', if IVROW = ICROW, LWORK >= MpC0 else LWORK >= NqC0 + MAX( 1, MpC0 ) end if end if end if where LCM is the least common multiple of NPROW and NPCOL and LCM = ILCM( NPROW, NPCOL ), LCMP = LCM / NPROW, LCMQ = LCM / NPCOL, IROFFC = MOD( IC-1, MB_C ), ICOFFC = MOD( JC-1, NB_C ), ICROW = INDXG2P( IC, MB_C, MYROW, RSRC_C, NPROW ), ICCOL = INDXG2P( JC, NB_C, MYCOL, CSRC_C, NPCOL ), MpC0 = NUMROC( M+IROFFC, MB_C, MYROW, ICROW, NPROW ), NqC0 = NUMROC( N+ICOFFC, NB_C, MYCOL, ICCOL, NPCOL ), ILCM, INDXG2P and NUMROC are ScaLAPACK tool functions; MYROW, MYCOL, NPROW and NPCOL can be determined by calling the subroutine BLACS_GRIDINFO. Alignment requirements ====================== The distributed submatrices V(IV:*, JV:*) and C(IC:IC+M-1,JC:JC+N-1) must verify some alignment properties, namely the following expressions should be true: MB_V = NB_V, If INCV = 1, If SIDE = 'Left', ( MB_V.EQ.MB_C .AND. IROFFV.EQ.IROFFC .AND. IVROW.EQ.ICROW ) If SIDE = 'Right', ( MB_V.EQ.NB_A .AND. MB_V.EQ.NB_C .AND. IROFFV.EQ.ICOFFC ) else if INCV = M_V, If SIDE = 'Left', ( MB_V.EQ.NB_V .AND. MB_V.EQ.MB_C .AND. ICOFFV.EQ.IROFFC ) If SIDE = 'Right', ( NB_V.EQ.NB_C .AND. ICOFFV.EQ.ICOFFC .AND. IVCOL.EQ.ICCOL ) end if LAPACK version 1.5 12 May 1997 PZLARZ(l)