Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX shells scripting
Top Forums Programming UNIX shells scripting Post 302983450 by migurus on Tuesday 11th of October 2016 03:44:50 PM
Old 10-11-2016
I have to mention excellent books by Chris Johnson, you can see great posts by the author in the Shell Scripting forum here. His site have huge number of very useful scripts:
Date functions by Chris F.A. Johnson
This User Gave Thanks to migurus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl as lanuage of shells in unix

hi, do shells in unix understand the language of perl? learning perl will make u a ultimate shell programmer? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good Unix Shells ?

Hey Guys i am new to Unix and i have downlaoded Cygwin for Windows and deleted it. I was just wondering is there any good shells like that for windows that just as good thanks for your time ][ce (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IceCold
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I know what type of shells are available in my Unix system?

How do I know what type of shells are available in my Unix system? Are there a single command or environment variable that can let me find that out? Best regards, John Chan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuhang2
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing shells in unix (im using putty)

hi. im new here. im taking a UNIX OS class and im in need of some help how do i change my shell in UNIX? for homework i need to edit the tcshrc file (to include aliases) in my home directory but its not there. so i think switching shells will create the file. am i correct? I'm using PuTTy.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alpha_centauri
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"UNIX Shells By Example" CD Files

hello All, I just purchased a used copy of "UNIX Shells by Example" by Ellie Quigley. The CD is not in the back. I googled the world but the files dont seem to be available for download anywhere. Does anyone out there have them. It would be much appreciated if someone can email them to me. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tag0519
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Scripting

Hi Guys, I need your help. I have a file with around 10,000 lines in which i need to get the machine and owner name and paste in the seperate file. I have multiple entries fr machine and owner i need to fetch the data accordingly. File example: command: /data/esb/etl/bods_exported_script... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth Kumar G
20 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX shells script to echo out the date value

I appreciate if someone answer this question for my learning purpose: Given a filename structure of a COUNTRY CODE, file type, date (YYYYMMDD) and two digit attempt number with an extension of ".dat", write a UNIX shells script to echo out the date value. Example: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shumail
1 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusive for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o Some mksh specific extensions are missing; specifically, the -T command-line option. o lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. o lksh parses leading-zero numbers as octal (base 8). o Integers use the host C environment's long type, not int32_t. Unsigned arithmetic is done using unsigned long, not uint32_t. Neither value limits nor wraparound is guaranteed. Dividing the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour (but might work on 32-bit and 64-bit long types). o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. Parsing numbers with leading zero digits or ``0x'' is relatively recent in all pdksh derivates, but supported here for completeness. It might make sense to make this a run-time option, but that might also be overkill. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD February 11, 2013 MirBSD