Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding file to compressed tarfile Post 302983403 by RavinderSingh13 on Tuesday 11th of October 2016 06:31:10 AM
Old 10-11-2016
Hello API,

Could you please try following steps(not tested though) and let me know if this helps you.
1st: Extract .tar file from .tar.gz file:
Code:
gunzip filename.tar.gz

2nd: Update uncompressed .tar file with tar -u command as follows:
Code:
tar -uf filename.tar new_file

3rd: Compress the updated .tar file:
Code:
gzip filename.tar

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming a compressed file to filename without .Z

In a shell script I would like to use a compressed file name, i.e. with suffix of .Z, as a file input $1. After the file in uncompressed, I would like to use the file name without the .Z . How do I do this? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruceps
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file compressed or not

Is there a way I can check if a file is comppressed or not? (Be it tar/gzip or compress). trying to write a generic housekeeping scrit that will delete files over 6 months old and compress any uncompressed files if less than 6 months old. But not sure if there is a clever way to check except for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is it possible to see the content of the compressed file?

How we can view the content of the file,if it compressed (or) Zipped ,without uncompress ? I have one file ,i compressed it,without uncompressing the file.Is it possible to see the content of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check to see if a file is compressed before trying to compress

I simply need to compress all files in a directory that are not already compressed and that are older than 10 days? I have this so far. I need to add to this so I don't try and compress file that are already compressed. Or if you think this can be simplified let me know. Thx. find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstone
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressed file

I compressed a file by using gzip command gzip <<xx>> filename changed to xx.gz How to view this xx.gz file. Any idea. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process a compressed file

Hi i have a filename.tar.bz2 and i have to parse it with a tool that doesn't support compressed files. I have to do it for many big files, so i can't decompress and then process. I'd like to do something like: tar -jxvf namefile.tar.bz2 | parsing_tool i mean analyze it directly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compressed file

i have a file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 when i do file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 the ouput is below 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292: gzip compressed data - deflate method and i run this command gunzip -c 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 | awk '{gsub("\"","")}/I_ACCOUNT_ID/{print $2}' RS=":|;" FS="," i get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Compressed byte offset from .gz file

Hi , I have a .gz file whose contents look like below. data1^filename1 data2^filename2. .. . . Is it possible to find out the byte offset of each record from the .gz file. Like in an uncompressed file. grep -nb "Filename" give the byte offset of the record in this case. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Command in Solaris 10 to exlude more than one directory while creatinga tarfile

Hi, I am using solaris 10.Could anyone please help me on command to create a tar file by excluding more than one directory.I have tried below command but it did not work. tar -pcvf orderm_setup.tar . --exclude=/orderm/common/7.0/logs001 Advance thanks for your reply. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of compressed file

Hi All, Is there is any way to find the size of compressed file without doing decompression. The size should give the original uncompressed data size Thanks Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)