Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards? Post 302983352 by Juha Nurmela on Monday 10th of October 2016 01:50:23 PM
Old 10-10-2016
The script snippet looks garbled. It sounds like the wildcard in the pattern got expanded by the shell at some point. You need more double quotes where it happens Smilie

But aren't you making it too complicated? How about
Code:
while IFS=, read pattern rest
do
  egrep "$pattern" $source_file
done < p

Juha
This User Gave Thanks to Juha Nurmela For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping using multiple wildcards

Is there anyway you can grep using multiple wildcards? When I run the below line the results return fine; grep 12345 /usr/local/production/soccermatchplus/distributor/clients/*/out/fixtures.xml | awk -F/ '{print $8}' However ideally, I need it to grep for; grep 12345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping a variable

I need to pass a parameter that will then be grepped. I need it to grep /paramater and then have a space so if 123 was passed my grep would be grep '/123 ' sample.log this works fine from the command line but when i try and set it searchThis="/$2 " and then run grep $searchThis... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping Date Variable

Hello, I would like for the user to input the date for a particular log file, then have the input sent to a variable, which is then used via grep to extra the logs for the specific date the user request. I did some searching, but I still don't understand why I'm not seeing any result. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using cgi_script to handle form data

Hi, I have an HTML form through which I get some text as input. i need to run a shell script say script.sh inside a perl-cgi script named main_cgi.sh on the form input. I want to write the contents of the form in a file and then perform some command line operations like grep, cat on the text... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush_priya
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grepping data from a text file

Hello, I have a text file which contains a list of strings which I want to grep from another file where these strings occur and print out only these lines. I had earlier used the grep command where File1 was the file containing the strings to be grepped (Source File) and File2 the Target File... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for variable in brackets

I have a script which reads a number out of a log file. The pertinent line is this: cat /tmp/listofnumbers When I run cat /tmp/listofnumbers what I am seeing is on each line. I am trying to make the script read from that file and grep for a variable like the following line should do: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping data using awk

Hello, I have a data in file 1 2000000024776 2000000026979 2000000033355 2000000036309 2000000041291 2000000042679 2000000067221 and in file 2 its like this 2000000024776 16 2000000026979 16 2000000033355 16 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the data between 2 date ranges

Hi There, Good Day !! I have txt file containing data in the below format. There are many lines, here i have mentioned for example. cat remo.txt 2/3/2017 file1 3/4/2016 file2 6/6/2015 file5 1/1/2018 file3 4/3/2014 file4 - - - I need to grep the file names for given date rage... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Expand Variables and Wildcards into another variable.

Dear Forum members, I am having trouble getting the complete filename (and directory path) in a variable. Output directory mentioned in the code have three files: DISPLAY_CITY_DETAILS_15-05-2019-08-29-26_MIGRATE_london.out DISPLAY_CITY_DETAILS_15-05-2019-08-29-26_MIGRATE_paris.out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
ZIPGREP(1L)															       ZIPGREP(1L)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1L) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1L), zip(1L), funzip(1L), zipcloak(1L), zipinfo(1L), zipnote(1L), zipsplit(1L) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1L)