Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How do I use the cut command to only print the directories? Post 302983168 by Juha Nurmela on Friday 7th of October 2016 07:48:58 AM
Old 10-07-2016
It would be worth a new thread, how to tidy up filenames after unpacking an archive with funny characters. Everyone probably has their own quick fix Smilie

Juha

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Cut command

Hi I am using 'find' on a particular directory which has some subdirectories too,so when I search for .txt files from the parent directory, it gives all files that matches the pattern in the parent aswellas in the sub directories . eg: Iam at /a/b/c where c has many other directories in it ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut and print part of a string

I have a file that contains: yahoo.com.23456 web.log.common.us.gov.8675 192.168.1.55.34443 john-doe.about.com.22233 64.222.3.4.120 sunny.ca.4442 how can i remove the strings after the last dot (.) and reprint the file? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the whole line which contains the result of the command cut

Hey everyone I have a file 'agenda' which contains: Object Day Month Year Birthday 09 02 2012 i want to extract from a script the line which contains the day the user typed. for example if he type 09 the line is showed using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldstein
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print path files in different directories

Hi guys :) First of all Happy New Year :) so i dont know if my doubt its already here posted by other person ... i need to print to one file the path of few files that are in different directories, like this: directory muscle ATP6.aa.muscle.fasta COX1.aa.muscle.fasta . . . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreia
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print/cut/grep/sed/ date yyyymmdd on the filename only.

I have this filename "RBD_EXTRACT_a3468_d20131118.tar.gz" and I would like print out the "yyyymmdd" only. I use this command below, but if different command like cut or print....etc. Thanks ls RBD_EXTRACT* | sed 's/.*\(........\).tar.gz$/\1/' > test.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
TIDY.GETOPTDOC(3)							 1							 TIDY.GETOPTDOC(3)

tidy::getOptDoc - Returns the documentation for the given option name

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
string tidy::getOptDoc (string $optname) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style string tidy_get_opt_doc (tidy $object, string $optname) tidy_get_opt_doc(3) returns the documentation for the given option name. Note You need at least libtidy from 25 April, 2005 for this function be available. PARAMETERS
o $object - The Tidy object. o $optname - The option name RETURN VALUES
Returns a string if the option exists and has documentation available, or FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Print all options along with their documentation and default value <?php $tidy = new tidy; $config = $tidy->getConfig(); ksort($config); foreach ($config as $opt => $val) { if (!$doc = $tidy->getOptDoc($opt)) $doc = 'no documentation available!'; $val = ($tidy->getOpt($opt) === true) ? 'true' : $val; $val = ($tidy->getOpt($opt) === false) ? 'false' : $val; echo "<p><b>$opt</b> (default: '$val')<br />". "$doc</p><hr /> "; } ?> SEE ALSO
tidy.getconfig(3), tidy.getopt(3). PHP Documentation Group TIDY.GETOPTDOC(3)