Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file Post 302983134 by bharath561989 on Thursday 6th of October 2016 05:18:20 PM
Old 10-06-2016
Oracle Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file

Hi All,

I am trying to write a shell script where it should insert character 'I' in 180th position of each line(except first and last line) of the file. Below is the script

Code:
for file in /home/test/bharat/*.RET
do
 # Process file
 echo "File Name=" $file
 #l_fileName="${file##*/}"
 l_fileName=`basename ${file}`_P
 mv $file $l_fileName
 echo "New File Name= " $l_fileName
 #Remove special chracters from the file
 sed 's/[!@#\$%^&*()]//g' $l_fileName>$file

mv -f $l_fileName /home/test/bharat/archive

#Loop throguh all the lines in the file and insert I in 180 position 
COUNT=0
while read -r line; do
    COUNT=$(( $COUNT + 1 ))
	echo "line " $line
    echo "Inside the file line count: " $COUNT
	sed 's/./I/180' $line
done < $file

done

Somehow sed 's/./I/180' $line is not working properly. Please help to achieve this. and also i need to do this starting line 2 and should exclude last line.

Please help.

Thanks
Bharat
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags, as required by forum rules, when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-06-2016 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines at specific location in file

Hi There I have this file that I would like to add entries to, however, there is a "}" as the last line that I need to keep. Basically i would like to know how I can write a script that will add new lines at the second to last line position (ie always add new line above the close bracket) ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert 2 lines in a file at a specific location

Hi, I need to insert two new lines in a file: The file: "..... ...... ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`" .... .... " I need to add the lines: LD_LIBRARY_PATH='$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$APACHE_HOME/modules' DOWNLOADMODULE_CONF_PATHNAME='$APACHE_HOME/conf/DWLModule.cfg' right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace, insert n times a specific character

How can using Vim, replace one character with another repeating it 10 times? Ex.: Transforming this: 125A986 That: 125##########986 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: IJNeves
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace character based on specific location

Hi, I got long list of reference file (column one is refer to the header in input file; column 2 is info of start position in input file; column 3 is info of end position in input file;) shown as below: read_2 10 15 read_3 5 8 read_1 4 10 . . . Input file (huge file with total... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text line to specific location CSV

In Perl. ***edited question below*** Hey all, I am teaching myself some simple CSV file manipulation and have become a little stuck. Say I have the following layout in the CSV file: age,name,locationIs it possible to INSERT data into the CSV into the correct age order. For example, if I had... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Insert a file at specific line

Hi, Anyone can help me in Solaris command on how to insert a file at specific line. I want file1.sql content to be inserted on file2.sh after "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel". # file1.sql /archivelogs/927_822338133.arc /archivelogs/671_822338107.arc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert new line after a specific character in scripts?

Hi, I'm trying to add a new line after finding a specific String. That is my string: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html and I want to change that file to: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html extra_hosts: -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siamak
4 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)