Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search and replace in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace in file Post 302982877 by RudiC on Tuesday 4th of October 2016 10:28:11 AM
Old 10-04-2016
Any attempts/ideas/thoughts from your side?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace in file

Hi guys, I have one file with duplicate string. I want to replace all the occurance of that string with some other string. How can I do that in vi editor? Malay Maru (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace in file..

Hi All, As I'm working on a Unix script... and the requirement is like, I need to search a word and replace it with the another word... for that i'm using SED command.... can anybody give any other alternate for this...? Thanks Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amits
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace in a file

Hi I have to search & replace column in the file.For example ..below iam having File1. in which 3rd column ...if it is A it should be 'ACT' if P it should be 'PAD' and if it ils D it should be 'DEC' I have to pass column no ,value and to be converted value as variables in to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

search and replace in a file

I have a file (say file1.txt) and I have to search for a line which has a text replace it and replace another string too in the same line. Eg: file1.txt -------- x='hai' y='world' z='unix' x='hai' y='world' x='hai' z='perl' y='world' z="world" k="junk" b="world" z='perl' x='hai'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on search and replace in a file

Hi all, The operating system is Solaris 10 I have example line here below I need to change the stat1 to stat2 using a shell script. search for space(" ") and replace with "\ " Stat1 --- /data/Sat Night Stay.txt Stat2 --- /data/Sat\ Night\ Stay.txt Thanks Firestar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimised way for search & replace a value on one line in a very huge file (File Size is 24 GB).

Hi Experts, I had to edit (a particular value) in header line of a very huge file so for that i wanted to search & replace a particular value on a file which was of 24 GB in Size. I managed to do it but it took long time to complete. Can anyone please tell me how can we do it in a optimised... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishkomar007
7 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Search and replace in text file

Hi, I have gigabytes of text files that I need to search for "&" and replace with "&amp". Is there a way to do this efficiently (like sed command)? Hope you could help. Thanks. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string in a file and replace

I have file t1.log Contents of t1.log file Number of records processed: Number of records rejected: Error : xyz .......... abc .......... aaa _] start time : end time : Please let me know how i can remove the contents highlighted in red in the t1.log file. Thanks Sam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam777
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace in a new FILE.

Hi, more data.txt more srstring.sh input="data.txt" while IFS= read -r var do startdirectory=$loc search=$(echo $var | awk -F'=' '{print $1}') replace=$(echo $var | awk -F'=' '{print $2}') find "/tmp/config" -type f -exec grep -l "$search" {} + | while read file do if sed -e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
update-motd(5)							File Formats Manual						    update-motd(5)

NAME
update-motd - dynamic MOTD generation SYNOPSIS
/etc/update-motd.d/* DESCRIPTION
UNIX/Linux system adminstrators often communicate important information to console and remote users by maintaining text in the file /etc/motd, which is displayed by the pam_motd(8) module on interactive shell logins. Traditionally, this file is static text, typically installed by the distribution and only updated on release upgrades, or overwritten by the local administrator with pertinent information. Ubuntu introduced the update-motd framework, by which the motd(5) is dynamically assembled from a collection of scripts at login. Executable scripts in /etc/update-motd.d/* are executed by pam_motd(8) as the root user at each login, and this information is concatenated in /var/run/motd. The order of script execution is determined by the run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit option (basically alphabetical order, with a few caveats). On Ubuntu systems, /etc/motd is typically a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. BEST PRACTICES
MOTD fragments must be scripts in /etc/update-motd.d, must be executable, and must emit information on standard out. Scripts should be named named NN-xxxxxx where NN is a two digit number indicating their position in the MOTD, and xxxxxx is an appropriate name for the script. Scripts must not have filename extensions, per run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit instructions. Packages should add scripts directly into /etc/update-motd.d, rather than symlinks to other scripts, such that administrators can modify or remove these scripts and upgrades will not wipe the local changes. Consider using a simple shell script that simply calls exec on the external utility. Long running operations (such as network calls) or resource intensive scripts should cache output, and only update that output if it is deemed expired. For instance: /etc/update-motd.d/50-news #!/bin/sh out=/var/run/foo script="w3m -dump http://news.google.com/" if [ -f "$out" ]; then # Output exists, print it echo cat "$out" # See if it's expired, and background update lastrun=$(stat -c %Y "$out") || lastrun=0 expiration=$(expr $lastrun + 86400) if [ $(date +%s) -ge $expiration ]; then $script > "$out" & fi else # No cache at all, so update in the background $script > "$out" & fi Scripts should emit a blank line before output, and end with a newline character. For instance: /etc/update-motd/05-lsb-release #!/bin/sh echo lsb-release -a FILES
/etc/motd, /var/run/motd, /etc/update-motd.d SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam_motd(8), run-parts(8) AUTHOR
This manpage and the update-motd framework was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. update-motd 13 April 2010 update-motd(5)