Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Terminating a process - is this code best practice? Post 302982729 by SIMMS7400 on Monday 3rd of October 2016 10:27:43 AM
Old 10-03-2016
Terminating a process - is this code best practice?

Hi Folks -

I am building a process to kill a list of services. Sometimes, there's a service that hangs therefore I need to add an additionla peice of code to kill all instances of a service if it exists.

Here is that portion of code:

Code:
echo ---------------------------------------------------------
echo "Terminate Hung Services"                               
echo ---------------------------------------------------------
_SERVICE=ESSSVR

ps -ef | grep ${_SERVICE} | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -9

My goal with the above piece of code is to kill any instances of ESSSVR.

Is that a correct way of going about it?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating myself

just like what the subject said but the ip is different example if now my IP is 192.168.0.50 and my name is seed if i wanna terminate 192.168.0.55 with the same nick of mine, seed can i do that ?? and what is the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeeD
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminating script with CTRL+D

Hi, I'm trying to make a script that reads the console input and terminates with CTRL+D. It's absolutely basic but I don't know how to "read" the CTRL+D. I've tried a bunch of things like EOT=^D while //with & without quotations do read input echo $input done while while ] ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating child script with terminating the parent script

Hi I was working on a shell script with randomly shows a page of text from a randomly selected topic .As soon as the page is displayed it callers a timer script which keeps on running indefinitely until the timer script is killed by the user. This is where I have the problem,if I press... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Terminating Processes by Name

Hi! Just want to know if there is one command that I can use to kill processes by its name. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: love833
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script unexpectedly terminating

I now that this isnt the greatest code around. Im a network guy by trade not a programer .. but needed something to compare config files ... Anyway ... intermittently, the program terminates. Ive been looking at the code for a week trying to figure it out and Im stumped. Can anyone provide... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup terminating

hi all, i m running few batch process through shell script using nohup command but when session get terminated(due to network, reboot of desktop and closing session directly) all processes terminating abnormally and core file is generating. application batch process is connecting oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i terminating expect script without terminating SSH connection.

Hi all , i know i ask a lot of question but these are really hard to solve and important question. I send two scripts: expect.sh: #!/usr/local/bin/expect spawn ssh root@172.30.64.163 expect "login:" send "root\n" expect "password:" send "root\n^M" interact and son.sh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best practice triggering a process?

Hi, Since I staterd working as Unix sysadmin (about 3 years ago) I always used to trigger a process evaluating the conditions needed to this process to be executed. Recently I've change the company where I work, and they usually create a trigger file to start a process or to stop a process while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nefeli
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cd error terminating loop

Hi All, I am trying to make a small shell script.In this it will got directory as per variable & run the find command on that directory.There are 120 + directories & not sure all of them are mounted.So the issue is if the directory doesent exists my loops gets terminated. so is there any was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Close file descriptor without terminating process

Can any help me in finding the way to close opened file descriptor in Solaris ,without killing process. As accidently a file was removed which was opened by a process. Much thanks in advance :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitj
11 Replies
Test::Synopsis(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Synopsis(3)

NAME
Test::Synopsis - Test your SYNOPSIS code SYNOPSIS
# xt/synopsis.t (with Module::Install::AuthorTests) use Test::Synopsis; all_synopsis_ok(); # Or, run safe without Test::Synopsis use Test::More; eval "use Test::Synopsis"; plan skip_all => "Test::Synopsis required for testing" if $@; all_synopsis_ok(); DESCRIPTION
Test::Synopsis is an (author) test module to find .pm or .pod files under your lib directory and then make sure the example snippet code in your SYNOPSIS section passes the perl compile check. Note that this module only checks the perl syntax (by wrapping the code with "sub") and doesn't actually run the code. Suppose you have the following POD in your module. =head1 NAME Awesome::Template - My awesome template =head1 SYNOPSIS use Awesome::Template; my $template = Awesome::Template->new; $tempalte->render("template.at"); =head1 DESCRIPTION An user of your module would try copy-paste this synopsis code and find that this code doesn't compile because there's a typo in your variable name $tempalte. Test::Synopsis will catch that error before you ship it. VARIABLE DECLARATIONS
Sometimes you might want to put some undeclared variables in your synopsis, like: =head1 SYNOPSIS use Data::Dumper::Names; print Dumper($scalar, @array, \%hash); This assumes these variables like $scalar are defined elsewhere in module user's code, but Test::Synopsis, by default, will complain that these variables are not declared: Global symbol "$scalar" requires explicit package name at ... In this case, you can add the following POD sequence elsewhere in your POD: =for test_synopsis no strict 'vars' Or more explicitly, =for test_synopsis my($scalar, @array, %hash); Test::Synopsis will find these "=for" blocks and these statements are prepended before your SYNOPSIS code when being evaluated, so those variable name errors will go away, without adding unnecessary bits in SYNOPSIS which might confuse users. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> Goro Fuji blogged about the original idea at <http://d.hatena.ne.jp/gfx/20090224/1235449381> based on the testing code taken from Test::Weaken. LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Test::Pod, Test::UseAllModules, Test::Inline, Test::Snippet perl v5.16.3 2009-07-06 Test::Synopsis(3)