Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Determine PCI Endpoint for a Serial Interface. Post 302982724 by Peasant on Monday 3rd of October 2016 09:02:12 AM
Old 10-03-2016
Have you checked in /etc/path_to_inst for reference returned by ls ?
Perhaps there will be more information there ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

determine if a ethernet interface is up

Howto check if a ethernet interface is up? It's impossible to determine via the ipaddress i have learned, or? Can someone please give me a hint on howto do? Environment == Linux x86 GNU GCC. :D regards Esaia (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to determine the interface?

Given the interfaces on a firewall: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:40:67:34:F5:47 inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 86:23:98:45:35:56 inet addr:123.45.240.69 Bcast:255.255.255.255 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine Solaris box network interface?

Given a new Solaris box, with a fresh, unconfigured install on it, how does one figure out what kind of network interface it has (bge,le, hme, etc)? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to determine network interface that will be used to send a packet for an IP

Hello, I'm writing to you because I encountered the following problem. My program displayes all network interfaces that are available in the system, but I would like to add a functionality in which a user can enter a destination address IP (ex. the IP address of the Google search engine) and will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxrafi
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Need a bridge from an ethernet interface to a serial interface

This is my situation DOS pc serial cable (sl0) Linux Pc eth1 192.168.0.10 <-------------------->192.168.0.2 <------------>192.168.0.1 (router) I connected the linux pc and the dos pc with a SLIP (serial line internet protocol), so they can communicate in the sl0 interface. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Find out which eth or device belongs to interface "port 1 PCI 4"

Hi, I´ve given only this info to configure a network interface : "port 1 PCI 4" I´ve been searching for any kind of relationship in the system which allow me to find the etc that must be configured... Please, could anybody help me? rhxx:#/root# lspci |grep -i "PCI BRIDGE" 00:01.0 PCI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
0 Replies

7. Hardware

Oki ML590 Serial Interface Board Issue

Hi Had an old ML590 with RS232 serial card that stopped working (spindle that advance ribbon broke) so I purchased a working used on ebay. Printer powers up and seems fine. Put serial board from old printer in working ebay unit but no printing happens. Does anyone know if there are any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
0 Replies

8. SCO

Oki ML590 Serial Interface Board Issue

Hi Had an old ML590 with RS232 serial card that stopped working (spindle that advance ribbon broke) so I purchased a working used on ebay. Printer powers up and seems fine. Put serial board from old printer in working ebay unit but no printing happens. Does anyone know if there are any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash- Determine what interface is online

Hey guys, I want to use a a quick bash script/command to determine what network interface is connected to the internet so I can pipe it out to become a variable, in order so the user does not have to manually type it in each time or have to 'hardcode' the variable into the script. I know about... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Looking for driver for SunSAI/P 3.0 (Serial Asynchronous Interface) card X2156A

I'm looking for driver for SunSAI/P 3.0 (Serial Asynchronous Interface) card X2156A for Solaris. It used to be on sun-solve, but I fail to find it on the Oracle site. Any help would be very appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ira28
1 Replies
ports(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 ports(1M)

NAME
ports - creates /dev entries and inittab entries for serial lines SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ports [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
devfsadm(1M) is now the preferred command for /dev and /devices and should be used instead of ports. The ports command creates symbolic links in the /dev/term and /dev/cua directories to the serial-port character device files in /devices and adds new entries in /etc/inittab for non-system ports found. System-board ports are given single lower-case letters for names (such as a and b) while other ports are named numerically. ports searches the kernel device tree to find the serial devices attached to the system. It also checks /dev/term and /dev/cua to see what symbolic links to serial devices already exist. ports then performs the following: 1. Assigns new numbers (or letters for system-board ports) to ports that are attached to the system but do not have /dev/term and /dev/cua entries. The numbers or letters assigned are the lowest-unused numbers or letters. 2. Removes dangling links: links from /dev/term and /dev/cua pointing to no-longer-existing ports. 3. Creates new /dev/term and /dev/cua links for new serial devices. 4. Invokes sacadm(1M) to make new port monitor entries for the new devices. This is not done automatically for on-board ports; on worksta- tions these ports are often not used for dial-in sessions, so a port-monitor for one of these ports must be created explicitly. If the configuration has not changed, ports exits without doing anything. Notice to Driver Writers ports considers devices with a node type of DDI_NT_SERIAL, DDI_NT_SERIAL_MB, DDI_NT_SERIAL_DO, or DDI_NT_SERIAL_MB_DO to be serial port devices. Devices with one of these node types must create minor device names that obey the following conventions when calling ddi_cre- ate_minor_node(9F). o The minor name for non-system port devices (DDI_NT_SERIAL) consists of an ASCII numeric string, where the first port on the device is named 0, the second named 1, the third named 2, up to the number of ports provided by the device. o The minor name for non-system dialout devices (DDI_NT_SERIAL_DO) is the ASCII numeric port name, concatenated with ,cu. For example, the minor name for the first dialout port on the serial board is 0,cu. o The minor name for system-board port devices (DDI_NT_SERIAL_MB) consists of a string containing a single ASCII lowercase character, where the first port on the device is named a, the second is named b, the third is named c, for all ports on the device (or up through port z). o The minor name for system-board dialout devices (DDI_NT_SERIAL_MB_DO) consists of the lowercase character port name, concatenated with ,cu. For example, the minor name for the first dialout port on the on-board serial device is a,cu. To prevent disks from attempting to automatically generate links for a device, drivers must specify a private node type and refrain from using one of the above node types when calling ddi_create_minor_node(9F). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -r rootdir Causes ports to presume that the /dev/term, /dev/cua, and /devices directories are found under rootdir, not directly under /. If this argument is specified, sacadm(1M) is not invoked, since it would update terminal administration files under /etc without regard to the rootdir. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Creating the Serial and Dialout Minor Device Nodes The following example creates the serial and dialout minor device nodes from the xkserial driver's attach(9E) function: /* * Create the minor number by combining the instance number * with the port number. */ #define XKNUMPORTS 8 #define XKMINORNUM(i, p) ((i) << 4 | (p)) #define XKMINORNUM_DO(i, p) ((i) << 4 | (p) | 0x80) int xkserialattach(dev_info_t *dip, ddi_attach_cmd_t cmd) { int instance, portnum; char name[8]; /* other stuff in attach... */ instance = ddi_get_instance(dip); for (portnum = 0; portnum < XKNUMPORTS; portnum++) { /* * create the serial port device */ sprintf(name, "%d", portnum); ddi_create_minor_node(dip, name, S_IFCHR, XKMINORNUM(instance, portnum), DDI_NT_SERIAL, 0); /* * create the dialout device */ sprintf(name,"%d,cu", portnum); ddi_create_minor_node(dip, name, S_IFCHR, XKMINORNUM_DO(instance, portnum), DDI_NT_SERIAL_DO, 0); } } Example 2: Installing the xkserial Port Driver on a Sun Fire 4800 The following example installs the xkserial port driver on a Sun Fire 4800 (with the driver controlling the fictional XKSerial 8 port serial board), with these special files in /devices: # ls -l /devices/ssm@0,0/pci@18,700000/pci@1/xkserial@f,800000/ crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 16 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:0 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 144 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:0,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 17 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:1 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 145 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:1,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 18 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:2 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 146 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:2,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 19 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:3 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 147 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:3,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 20 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:4 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 148 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:4,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 21 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:5 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 149 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:5,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 22 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:6 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 150 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:6,cu crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 23 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:7 crw-r----- 1 root sys 32, 151 Aug 29 00:02 xkserial@2000:7,cu /dev/term contain symbolic links to the serial port device nodes in /devices # ls -l /dev/term /dev/term/0 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:0 /dev/term/1 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:1 /dev/term/2 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:2 /dev/term/3 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:3 /dev/term/4 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:4 /dev/term/5 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:5 /dev/term/6 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:6 /dev/term/7 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:7 and /dev/cua contain symbolic links to the dialout port device nodes in /devices # ls -l /dev/cua /dev/cua/0 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:0,cu /dev/cua/1 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:1,cu /dev/cua/2 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:2,cu /dev/cua/3 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:3,cu /dev/cua/4 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:4,cu /dev/cua/5 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:5,cu /dev/cua/6 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:6,cu /dev/cua/7 -> ../../devices/[....]/xkserial@2000:7,cu FILES
/dev/term/n Logical serial port devices /dev/cua/n Logical dialout port devices /etc/inittab /etc/saf/* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), devfsadm(1M), drvconfig(1M), pmadm(1M), sacadm(1M), attributes(5), devfs(7FS), attach(9E), ddi_create_minor_node(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 2002 ports(1M)