Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Determine PCI Endpoint for a Serial Interface. Post 302982724 by Peasant on Monday 3rd of October 2016 09:02:12 AM
Old 10-03-2016
Have you checked in /etc/path_to_inst for reference returned by ls ?
Perhaps there will be more information there ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

determine if a ethernet interface is up

Howto check if a ethernet interface is up? It's impossible to determine via the ipaddress i have learned, or? Can someone please give me a hint on howto do? Environment == Linux x86 GNU GCC. :D regards Esaia (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to determine the interface?

Given the interfaces on a firewall: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:40:67:34:F5:47 inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 86:23:98:45:35:56 inet addr:123.45.240.69 Bcast:255.255.255.255 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine Solaris box network interface?

Given a new Solaris box, with a fresh, unconfigured install on it, how does one figure out what kind of network interface it has (bge,le, hme, etc)? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to determine network interface that will be used to send a packet for an IP

Hello, I'm writing to you because I encountered the following problem. My program displayes all network interfaces that are available in the system, but I would like to add a functionality in which a user can enter a destination address IP (ex. the IP address of the Google search engine) and will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxrafi
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Need a bridge from an ethernet interface to a serial interface

This is my situation DOS pc serial cable (sl0) Linux Pc eth1 192.168.0.10 <-------------------->192.168.0.2 <------------>192.168.0.1 (router) I connected the linux pc and the dos pc with a SLIP (serial line internet protocol), so they can communicate in the sl0 interface. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Find out which eth or device belongs to interface "port 1 PCI 4"

Hi, I´ve given only this info to configure a network interface : "port 1 PCI 4" I´ve been searching for any kind of relationship in the system which allow me to find the etc that must be configured... Please, could anybody help me? rhxx:#/root# lspci |grep -i "PCI BRIDGE" 00:01.0 PCI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
0 Replies

7. Hardware

Oki ML590 Serial Interface Board Issue

Hi Had an old ML590 with RS232 serial card that stopped working (spindle that advance ribbon broke) so I purchased a working used on ebay. Printer powers up and seems fine. Put serial board from old printer in working ebay unit but no printing happens. Does anyone know if there are any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
0 Replies

8. SCO

Oki ML590 Serial Interface Board Issue

Hi Had an old ML590 with RS232 serial card that stopped working (spindle that advance ribbon broke) so I purchased a working used on ebay. Printer powers up and seems fine. Put serial board from old printer in working ebay unit but no printing happens. Does anyone know if there are any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash- Determine what interface is online

Hey guys, I want to use a a quick bash script/command to determine what network interface is connected to the internet so I can pipe it out to become a variable, in order so the user does not have to manually type it in each time or have to 'hardcode' the variable into the script. I know about... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Looking for driver for SunSAI/P 3.0 (Serial Asynchronous Interface) card X2156A

I'm looking for driver for SunSAI/P 3.0 (Serial Asynchronous Interface) card X2156A for Solaris. It used to be on sun-solve, but I fail to find it on the Oracle site. Any help would be very appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ira28
1 Replies
path_to_inst(4)                                                    File Formats                                                    path_to_inst(4)

NAME
path_to_inst - device instance number file SYNOPSIS
/etc/path_to_inst DESCRIPTION
/etc/path_to_inst records mappings of physical device names to instance numbers. The instance number of a device is encoded in its minor number, and is the way that a device driver determines which of the possible devices that it may drive is referred to by a given special file. In order to keep instance numbers persistent across reboots, the system records them in /etc/path_to_inst. This file is read only at boot time, and is updated by add_drv(1M) and drvconfig(1M). Note that it is generally not necessary for the system administrator to change this file, as the system will maintain it. The system administrator can change the assignment of instance numbers by editing this file and doing a reconfiguration reboot. However, any changes made in this file will be lost if add_drv(1M) or drvconfig(1M) is run before the system is rebooted. Each instance entry is a single line of the form: "physical name" instance number "driver binding name" where physical name is the absolute physical pathname of a device. This pathname must be enclosed in double quotes. instance number is a decimal or hexadecimal number. driver binding name is the name used to determine the driver for the device. This name may be a driver alias or a driver name. The driver binding name must be enclosed in double quotes. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample path_to_inst Entries Here are some sample path_to_inst entries: "/iommu@f,e0000000" 0 "iommu" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000" 0 "sbus" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@e,0" 14 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@f,0" 15 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010" 0 "ledma" "/obio/serial@0,100000" 0 "zs" "/SUNW,sx@f,80000000" 0 "SUNW,sx" FILES
/etc/path_to_inst SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), boot(1M), drvconfig(1M), mknod(1M) WARNINGS
If the file is removed the system may not be bootable (as it may rely on information found in this file to find the root, usr or swap device). If it does successfully boot, it will regenerate the file, but after rebooting devices may end up having different minor numbers than they did before, and special files created via mknod(1M) may refer to different devices than expected. For the same reasons, changes should not be made to this file without careful consideration. NOTES
This document does not constitute an API. path_to_inst may not exist or may have a different content or interpretation in a future release. The existence of this notice does not imply that any other documentation that lacks this notice constitutes an API. SunOS 5.10 2 Nov 1995 path_to_inst(4)