Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A $(( expression )) bug?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users A $(( expression )) bug? Post 302982691 by wisecracker on Sunday 2nd of October 2016 07:25:00 AM
Old 10-02-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
Just had a first look at shellcheck.
It looks like it makes suggestions in addition to the real faults that are found by sh -nx
Well here is the code that shellcheck checked:-
Code:
Last login: Sun Oct  2 11:18:10 on ttys000
AMIGA:barrywalker~> cd Desktop/Code/Shell
AMIGA:barrywalker~/Desktop/Code/Shell> cat BUG1.sh
#!/bin/sh
txt="12345"
echo "$(( # == txt ))"
echo "$(( $# == txt ))"
echo "$(( $# == $txt ))"
echo "$(( # == $txt ))"
echo "$(( # = txt ))"
echo "$(( $# = txt ))"
echo "$(( $# = $txt ))"
echo "$(( # = $txt ))"
AMIGA:barrywalker~/Desktop/Code/Shell> sh -n BUG1.sh
AMIGA:barrywalker~/Desktop/Code/Shell> bash -n BUG1.sh
AMIGA:barrywalker~/Desktop/Code/Shell> _

And I decided to [ba]sh -n BUG1.sh and it says it is syntactically correct.
Again /Me shrugs...
Have I discovered a general SHELL bug, although esoteric is STILL a bug?
Are these arithmetic related ERRORs capable of being hacked from the outside?
(I have no idea as I am a mere amateur.)
Why in fact does bash -n NOT pick it up on at least my OSX 10.11.6 version of 'bash'?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Programming

error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

I had seen this error for the first time ..... error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
12 Replies

3. AIX

bug in 43 ???

xxxxserver# lsattr -El inet0 | grep 255.240.0.0,32.224.0.0,32.78.120.254 | grep '.40' route net,-hopcount,1,-netmask,255.240.0.0,32.224.0.0,32.78.120.254 How this is possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where's the bug?

#!/bin/bash if then #echo "infinite loop" exit 0 fi when I run this file I get the following error: ./test_infinite_loop: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `fi' ./test_infinite_loop: line 5: `fi' :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon80
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why Relational Expression is Writing to a Expression?

Hello All, Not sure why this is happening... When the following If Statement is evaluated for some reason it is creating a file in the CWD called '0'. I've seen this happen before, just not in an If Statement... CODE: if then DIR_NAME="$1" DIR_SIZE=0 STATUS="" else... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies
WORDEXP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							WORDEXP(3)

NAME
wordexp, wordfree - perform word expansion like a posix-shell SYNOPSIS
#include <wordexp.h> int wordexp(const char *s, wordexp_t *p, int flags); void wordfree(wordexp_t *p); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): wordexp(), wordfree(): _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The function wordexp() performs a shell-like expansion of the string s and returns the result in the structure pointed to by p. The data type wordexp_t is a structure that at least has the fields we_wordc, we_wordv, and we_offs. The field we_wordc is a size_t that gives the number of words in the expansion of s. The field we_wordv is a char ** that points to the array of words found. The field we_offs of type size_t is sometimes (depending on flags, see below) used to indicate the number of initial elements in the we_wordv array that should be filled with NULLs. The function wordfree() frees the allocated memory again. More precisely, it does not free its argument, but it frees the array we_wordv and the strings that points to. The string argument Since the expansion is the same as the expansion by the shell (see sh(1)) of the parameters to a command, the string s must not contain characters that would be illegal in shell command parameters. In particular, there must not be any unescaped newline or |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, } characters outside a command substitution or parameter substitution context. If the argument s contains a word that starts with an unquoted comment character #, then it is unspecified whether that word and all fol- lowing words are ignored, or the # is treated as a non-comment character. The expansion The expansion done consists of the following stages: tilde expansion (replacing ~user by user's home directory), variable substitution (replacing $FOO by the value of the environment variable FOO), command substitution (replacing $(command) or `command` by the output of command), arithmetic expansion, field splitting, wildcard expansion, quote removal. The result of expansion of special parameters ($@, $*, $#, $?, $-, $$, $!, $0) is unspecified. Field splitting is done using the environment variable $IFS. If it is not set, the field separators are space, tab and newline. The output array The array we_wordv contains the words found, followed by a NULL. The flags argument The flag argument is a bitwise inclusive OR of the following values: WRDE_APPEND Append the words found to the array resulting from a previous call. WRDE_DOOFFS Insert we_offs initial NULLs in the array we_wordv. (These are not counted in the returned we_wordc.) WRDE_NOCMD Don't do command substitution. WRDE_REUSE The argument p resulted from a previous call to wordexp(), and wordfree() was not called. Reuse the allocated storage. WRDE_SHOWERR Normally during command substitution stderr is redirected to /dev/null. This flag specifies that stderr is not to be redirected. WRDE_UNDEF Consider it an error if an undefined shell variable is expanded. RETURN VALUE
In case of success 0 is returned. In case of error one of the following five values is returned. WRDE_BADCHAR Illegal occurrence of newline or one of |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, }. WRDE_BADVAL An undefined shell variable was referenced, and the WRDE_UNDEF flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_CMDSUB Command substitution occurred, and the WRDE_NOCMD flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_NOSPACE Out of memory. WRDE_SYNTAX Shell syntax error, such as unbalanced parentheses or unmatched quotes. VERSIONS
wordexp() and wordfree() are provided in glibc since version 2.1. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. EXAMPLE
The output of the following example program is approximately that of "ls [a-c]*.c". #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <wordexp.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { wordexp_t p; char **w; int i; wordexp("[a-c]*.c", &p, 0); w = p.we_wordv; for (i = 0; i < p.we_wordc; i++) printf("%s ", w[i]); wordfree(&p); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), glob(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2008-07-14 WORDEXP(3)