Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Using grep to select specific patterns in text file? Post 302982618 by steezuschrist96 on Friday 30th of September 2016 04:29:49 PM
Old 09-30-2016
Yes! That worked, thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep patterns - File

Hi I have 3 patterns for example to be searched. These three patterns are available in file1. The patterns to be searched are in file2. I want to search the pattern of file1 to file2. Can any one help with example? Regards Dhana (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to format file based on specific patterns

Please help me out and drag me out the deadlock I am stuck into: I have a file. I want the statements under a if...then condition be listed in a separate file in the manner condition|statement.Following are the different input pattern and corresponding output parameters.any generic code to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a specific format to a specific column in a text file using awk and printf

Hi, I have the following text file: 8 T1mapping_flip02 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000008-000001.dcm 9 T1mapping_flip05 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000009-000001.dcm 10 T1mapping_flip10 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000010-000001.dcm 11 T1mapping_flip15 ok 128 108 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating and Extracting Specific Patterns from a file

Hi all, 1. I have a file that is getting continously refreshed (appended) I want to grep all the strings containing substring of the type abcdf123@aaa.xxx.yyy.zzz:portnumber: where, before @, any letters or numbers combination, after @, IP address then symbol : then port... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoras
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to isolate a text file line and Awk to select a word?

I am looking at using grep to locate the line in the text file and them use awk to select a word or words out of it. I know awk needs -v to allow a variable to be used, but also needs -F to allow the break up of the sentence and allow the location of separate variables. $line = grep "1:" File |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ironguru
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using perl to grep a list of patterns from an input file

I have been struggling to grep a file of NGrams (basically clusters of consonants or Consonant and Vowel) acting as a pattern file from an Input file which contains a long list of words, one word per line. The script would do two things: Firstly read a text pattern from a large file of such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to select data from file

Hello all, Once again I need to call upon the masters for help. I have a file called endpoint_data. IN that file I have groups of endpoints. However all I need from the file is this.... ENDPOINT NAME = SIPWOODSBC SIG PRI FQDN/IP ADDRESS/DOMAIN NAME = 10.xxx.xxx.xxx SIG SEC... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select panel then specific file in directory

I am using bash to prompt a user for a choice using: where a "y" response opens a menu with available panels that can be used. while true; do read -p "Do you want to get coverage of a specific panel?" yn case $yn in * ) menu; break;; * ) exit;; * ) echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
sigdist.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     sigdist.d(1m)

NAME
sigdist.d - signal distribution by process. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
sigdist.d DESCRIPTION
This is a simple DTrace script that prints the number of signals recieved by process and signal number. This script is also available as /usr/demo/dtrace/sig.d, where it originates. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # sigdist.d FIELDS
SENDER process name of sender RECIPIENT process name of target SIG signal number, see signal(3head) COUNT number of signals sent BASED ON
/usr/demo/dtrace/sig.d DOCUMENTATION
DTrace Guide "proc Provider" chapter (docs.sun.com) See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
sigdist.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. SEE ALSO
kill.d(1M), dtrace(1M) version 1.00 Jun 09, 2005 sigdist.d(1m)