Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split "-n" unknown option
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Split "-n" unknown option Post 302982549 by otheus on Thursday 29th of September 2016 08:00:08 PM
Old 09-29-2016
So, just upgrade to latest coreutils version.

What -n r/K/N does is print every K/Nth line. If K = 1 and N =2, you the first line, then every 2nd line after to the end of the stream. With K = 1 and N = 4, you get the first line, then every 4th line after. This is easy enough to replicate with any of the other tools. I think sed would be the best, but my sed-foo is weak, so I'll use awk.
Code:
split() { 
 if [ "$1" = "-n" -a "${2:0:1}" = "r" ]; then
   local k="${2:2:1}"
   local n="${2##*/}"
   shift; shift;
   if [ "${1#-}" != "$1" ] ; then
     echo >&2 "Warning: additional options to split need to be handled by this function"
   fi
   awk -v k=$k -v n=$n '(NR%n)==(k%n)' "$@"
 else
   command split "$@"
 fi
}

I tested the above code using a 3-way split against a large input file and compared it to GNU split v 8.21.

If they pass other options to split, you'll have to implement those or work around them.
This User Gave Thanks to otheus For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unknown error message "sh: No: not found"

I am getting this error message (sh: No: not found) and I have no idea what line in my unix script its coming from or what it means. Can anyone help? thanks, Cindy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cindytucci
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if returns "unknown test operator"

Greetings, using ksh on Solaris, I am trying to identify the current version of a package installed on multiple servers using if statement in a precursor to upgrading. I have searched the forums and have found many hits, reviewed 3 pages and have tried the different variations noted there. Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the meaning of "-s" option in "if" statement?

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I can't find answer for this, what is the meaning of -s option in "if" statement on unix scipting. Please see sample below: opath=/home/output for i in N1 N2 N3 N4 do echo $i if then grep $i $opath/N5_CRAI > $opath/N5_$i.crai chmod 777 $opath/N5_$i.crai ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sendmail saying "user unknown" after setting up MX

Hi Friends, I set up the sendmail in my perosnal home lab. I am using mutt to send the email in between the machines. Everything is working fine if i send email like <username>@<hostname>. Now i set up the MX record for my domain "home.com" and then i was trying to send the email to like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Unknown Disks "offline or reservation conflict"

Hi All, I am a RH Linux admin that recently started working at a company with a number of SUN Servers so it's been an interesting transition. Considering the last person left with very little documentation left behind so I have been picking up most issues half complete, or troubleshot. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileGSP
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
flow-split(1)						      General Commands Manual						     flow-split(1)

NAME
flow-split -- Split flow files into smaller files. SYNOPSIS
flow-split [-gGhn] [-b big|little] [-C comment] [-d debug_level] [-N nflows] [-o outfile_basename] [-T nseconds] [-z z_level] DESCRIPTION
The flow-split utility will split a flow file into smaller files based on the the number of flows or the ammount of time that has passed. OPTIONS
-b big|little Byte order of output. -C Comment Add a comment. -d debug_level Enable debugging. -g Split on source tag. -G Split on destination tag. -h Display help. -n Use symbols for tag field in filename. -N nflows Split after processing nflows. -o outfile_basename The basename of the resulting files. -T nsecond Split after processing an interval of nseconds flows. -z z_level Configure compression level to z_level. 0 is disabled (no compression), 9 is highest compression. EXAMPLES
Create 1 minute flow files from the flow archive in /flows/krc4. Store the results in /flows/krc4.split flow-cat /flows/krc4 | flow-split -T60 -o /flows/krc4.split/1min. BUGS
None known. AUTHOR
Mark Fullmer maf@splintered.net SEE ALSO
flow-tools(1) flow-split(1)