Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file Post 302982546 by blastit.fr on Thursday 29th of September 2016 06:04:18 PM
Old 09-29-2016
R. Singh's answer is great.
You can also write it this way :
Code:
awk '$1=="unix" && !i {i++; system("cat  Input_file2")}1'  Input_file1

Comments :
I don't support the ++ operator in the pattern section of the script . This is why i++ appears in the action section ( i.e between {} )
Parenthesis are useless in the first pattern section.

Last edited by blastit.fr; 09-29-2016 at 07:13 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file after a certain line in another file

Hi, it's my first post to this forum. I just started bash and I'm stuck at one issue. I want to include content of a file in another file after a certain line. I'm using sed for inserting one line but how to insert all content of a file ? For example i have a file list.txt with a few lines and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete lines from a file which starts with a specific pattern

I need to delete those lines from a file, which starts with 45. How to do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new pattern in newline after the nth occurrence of a line pattern - Bash in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am getting crazy after days on looking at it: Bash in Ubuntu 12.04.1 I want to do this: pattern="system /path1/file1 file1" new_pattern=" data /path2/file2 file2" file to edit: data.db - I need to search in the file data.db for the nth occurrence of pattern - pattern must... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert file contents after nth occurrence of a string using sed?

Hi, I would like to know how, using sed, be able to insert contents of file2 in file1 after say the second occurrence of a given string? e.g. > cat file1 banana apple orange apple banana pear tangerine apple > cat file2 I don't like apples What would be the sed command to insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimocn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file into another file before given pattern

I need to insert file x2 into x1 right before first BBB line. $ cat x1 AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 BBB 1 BBB 2 BBB 3 $ cat x2 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 I need to get AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 BBB 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to get file content until 2 occurrence of pattern match

AWK command to get file content until 3 occurrence of pattern match, INPUT FILE: JMS_BODY_FIELD:JMSText = <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <custOptIn xmlns="http://com/walm/ta/cu/ccs/xml2"> <person>Romi</person> <appName>SAP</appName> </custOptIn> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file to another file at a line number which is given by third file

Hi friends, here is my problem. I have three files like this.. cat file1.txt ======= unix is best unix is best linux is best unix is best linux is best linux is best unix is best unix is best cat file2.txt ======== Windows performs better Mac OS performs better Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file right after pattern in another file

suppose i have original file: original.txt: hello how are you you are wonderful what time is it I went to the store last night. and some apple juice then i have another file: anotherfile.txt: with my friends mary, john and harry. We had a great time. We bought food Suppose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert content from file 1 to file 2 in specific criteria meet

Hi , I'm looking for some code that can copy and paste form file1 to file2 with 2 criterial meet. file1: test "sp-j1" test "sp-j2" test "sp-j3" test "sp-j4" file2: sub Pre_Shorts1 (Status_Code, Message$) global Status !if Message$ <> "" then print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kttan
3 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)