Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use of flock command for whole script Post 302982536 by Don Cragun on Thursday 29th of September 2016 03:47:37 PM
Old 09-29-2016
As long as you just have a single script that wants to be sure that only one copy of it is running at a time, you can use the shell's no clobber option to create a lock file something like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
IAm=${0##*/}
LockFile="/tmp/$IAm.lock"

# Set lock and verify that no other copy of this code is already running...
set -C	# set no clobber option

# Create the lock file...  This will fail if the lock file already exists.
if ! echo "PID $$ holds the lock." > "$LockFile"
then	echo "$IAm: Another $IAm is already running." >&2
	cat "$LockFile" >&2
	echo "$IAm: Aborting!" >&2
	exit 1
fi

# We now hold an exclusive lock to the lock file (as long as other processes
# wanting to create this lock file also use set -C when trying to create this
# lock file).
set +C	# clear no clobber option

# Set up to remove the lock file when we're done.
trap 'rm -f "$LockFile"' EXIT

echo "$IAm: $$ running."
sleep 60
echo "$IAm: $$ quitting."

This should work with any POSIX conforming shell.

Just be aware that if you use kill -9 to kill this script, you'll have to manually remove the lock file before you can start another instance of this script.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Semaphore - lockfile/flock

Hi, I have a process which can run one instance at a time. Currently we have multiple scripts trying to kickoff this process. I wanted to implement the semaphore mechanism to achieve this. I was going through few examples. The below code seems to be reasonable solution. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using Flock (file lock)

Hello, I have been working on using "flock"/file lock to prevent two instances of a bash script from being executed. Below is a simplified version of what I have to illustrate the flock part. It works as it is set up there below however the piece I am trying to figure out is how to get it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infrared013
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flock preventing function to work

Hi i have a script that check pings and i use flock to so the script wont run multipul times : its not the whole script but this is the idea : ( flock -x -w 3 200 || exit 1 /usr/sbin/fping -c$count -i$interval -a $hosts > $FILE1 2>&1 ) 200>/var/lock/.myscript.exclusivelock now i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock - create lock files for use in shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock -p pid -f name [ -b ] [ -u ] [ -c ] DESCRIPTION
Shlock tries to create a lock file named name and write the process ID pid into it. If the file already exists, shlock will read the process ID from the file and test to see if the process is currently running. If the process exists, then the file will not be created. Shlock exits with a zero status if it was able to create the lock file, or non-zero if the file refers to currently-active process. OPTIONS
-b Process IDs are normally read and written in ASCII. If the ``-b'' flag is used, then they will be written as a binary int. For compatibility with other systems, the ``-u'' flag is accepted as a synonym for ``-b'' since binary locks are used by many UUCP pack- ages. -c If the ``-c'' flag is used, then shlock will not create a lock file, but will instead use the file to see if the lock is held by another program. If the lock is valid, the program will exit with a non-zero status; if the lock is not valid (i.e., invoking shlock without the flag would have succeeded), then the program will exit with a zero status. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how shlock would be used within a shell script: LOCK=/var/run/innd/LOCK.send trap 'rm -f ${LOCK} ; exit 1' 1 2 3 15 if shlock -p $$ -f ${LOCK} ; then # Do appropriate work else echo Locked by `cat ${LOCK}` fi HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> after a description of HDB UUCP locking given by Peter Honeyman. This is revision 1.9, dated 1996/10/29. SHLOCK(1)