Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compare Values between column in the same file Post 302982518 by Don Cragun on Thursday 29th of September 2016 01:30:03 PM
Old 09-29-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina2910
@Don ..Yes you and Rudi were right about P and N . Your code is working fine only one issue when I am running it, it is giving me list of files in that directory and gives the output.

doing something like below

Code:
> }
> {# For all other input lines, check fields 7-13 inclusive:
> for(i = 7; i <= 13; i++)
>
.csv                          20160405_StarData/            BCSreplay/                    archive/                      neha.txt                      sync_query_results_26668.txt
20140327_ISP_AAID_migrations/ 25049_CT_DELIVERY2.txt        DSLOrderWTN/                  data_for_demos/               neha2.txt                     sync_query_results_29460.txt
20150818_AppleCreate/         32706_CT_DELIVERY2.txt        MIGRATION_DATA_DIRECTORIES/   dp332j/                       neha3.txt                     sync_query_results_6635.txt
20151008_OMSIssue_DeTitanize/ ActivateHSIA/                 OldProjectDirs/               igate_data/                   other_logs/                   text.txt
20151014_DetitanizeMobility/  AdHoc_Requests/               ProcessEDDFiles/              junk/                         replays/                      tmpUniqAsMob.out
20160314_FULCRUM/             AddOrder_data/                ProjectDirs/                  kr9850/                       sh2818/                       tmpUniqAsMob.sql
> # If the character corresponding to the field is not prsent in
>
.csv                          20160405_StarData/            BCSreplay/                    archive/                      neha.txt                      sync_query_results_26668.txt
20140327_ISP_AAID_migrations/ 25049_CT_DELIVERY2.txt        DSLOrderWTN/                  data_for_demos/               neha2.txt                     sync_query_results_29460.txt
20150818_AppleCreate/         32706_CT_DELIVERY2.txt        MIGRATION_DATA_DIRECTORIES/   dp332j/                       neha3.txt                     sync_query_results_6635.txt
20151008_OMSIssue_DeTitanize/ ActivateHSIA/                 OldProjectDirs/               igate_data/                   other_logs/                   text.txt
20151014_DetitanizeMobility/  AdHoc_Requests/               ProcessEDDFiles/              junk/                         replays/                      tmpUniqAsMob.out
20160314_FULCRUM/             AddOrder_data/                ProjectDirs/                  kr9850/                       sh2818/                       tmpUniqAsMob.sql
> # field #3 AND the field contains a non-zero value...
>
> if($3 !~ S[i] && $i)
>

Pasting a script that contains tabs into a shell that uses tabs to trigger command completion is not going to work. As Ravinder suggested, copy my script into a file and execute the file.

You haven't told us what operating system or shell you're using, but I test it out with the following in a file named tester:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
awk '
BEGIN {	# Initialize skip array: S[fn] = char
	# If field #3 contains the character specified by char, do NOT check
	# the contents of field #fn.
	S[7] = "S"
	S[8] = "E"
	S[9] = "A"
	S[10] = "M"
	S[11] = "P"
	S[12] = "N"
	S[13] = "C"
}
NR < 2 {# Add the requested heading field to the header line...
	print $0, "Newcolumn"
	# and skip to the next input line.
	next
}
{	# For all other input lines, check fields 7-13 inclusive:
	for(i = 7; i <= 13; i++)
		# If the character corresponding to the field is not prsent in
		# field #3 AND the field contains a non-zero value...
		if($3 !~ S[i] && $i) 
			# break out of the loop.
			break
	# Print the input line followed by "WARNING" if a non-zero value was
	# found in a field to be checked; otherwise, print the input line
	# followed by "GOOD".
	print $0, (i <= 13) ? "WARNING" : "GOOD"
}' "${1:-file}"

make it executable with:
Code:
chmod +x tester

and then executing it with:
Code:
./tester

produces the output I showed you in post #15 in this thread. If you invoke it with an operand that is the pathname of a different file to be processed:
Code:
./tester otherfile

it will process the data in otherfile instead of the data in a file named file.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to extract last column of a file and compare the values

Hi, I am new to unix and I need help in solving below mentioned issue, really appreciate ur help. I have a file sam, john, 2324, 07142007 tom, thomson, 2343, 07142007 john, scott, 2478, 07142007 its a comma delimited file, I need to extract the last column from each line and this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vukkusila
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the values of a column in awk in a same file and consecutive lines..

I would like to compare the values of 2nd column of consecutive lines of same file in such a way so that if the difference between first value and second value is more than 100 it should print complete line else ignore line. Input File ========== PDB 2500 RTDB 123 RTDB-EAGLE 122 VSCCP 2565... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manuswami
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take values from a column and put it in a variable and compare

Hi, I have a table in unix from which i want to read the contents line by line, then filter out the values from 6th column one by one and compare it a fixed value. How to do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare values of fields from same column with awk

Hi all ! If there is only one single value in a column (e.g. column 1 below), then return this value in the same output column. If there are several values in the same column (e.g. column 2 below), then return the different values separated by "," in the output. pipe-separated input: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the values of a column in a same file using awk?

Dear Unix experts, I have got a file where I would like to compare the values of second column if first column is same in such a way that the difference between the values is >50. If not, I would like to discard both values. For example, my input file looks like - comp275_c0_seq2 73... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: utritala
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files column values using awk

Judi # cat File1 judi /export/home 76 judi /usr 83 judi # judi # cat File2 judi /export/home 79 judi /usr 82 judi # if COLUMN3 of File2 is greater that COLUMN3 of File1, then print File2's lines juid /export/home 79 Code tags please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare values in multiple rows in one column using awk

I would like to compare values in column 8, and grep the ones where the different is > 1, columns 1 and 2 are the key for array. Every 4 rows the records values in columns 1 and 2 changed. Then, the comparison in the column 8 need to be done for the 4 rows everytime columns 1 and 2 changed ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies