Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use of flock command for whole script Post 302982475 by Juha Nurmela on Thursday 29th of September 2016 09:55:18 AM
Old 09-29-2016
Surely the shell also uses those system calls.

There are oddities in file locking, see the manpages if you care. One oddity is that if you open a file, lock it, open it again and close that latter fd, the lock is lost.

I got flock and lockf mixed up above, sorry. Here on FreeBSD, and the "scriptable" locker is called lockf.

Juha

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Semaphore - lockfile/flock

Hi, I have a process which can run one instance at a time. Currently we have multiple scripts trying to kickoff this process. I wanted to implement the semaphore mechanism to achieve this. I was going through few examples. The below code seems to be reasonable solution. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using Flock (file lock)

Hello, I have been working on using "flock"/file lock to prevent two instances of a bash script from being executed. Below is a simplified version of what I have to illustrate the flock part. It works as it is set up there below however the piece I am trying to figure out is how to get it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infrared013
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flock preventing function to work

Hi i have a script that check pings and i use flock to so the script wont run multipul times : its not the whole script but this is the idea : ( flock -x -w 3 200 || exit 1 /usr/sbin/fping -c$count -i$interval -a $hosts > $FILE1 2>&1 ) 200>/var/lock/.myscript.exclusivelock now i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies
LOCKF(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  LOCKF(3)

NAME
lockf - apply, test or remove a POSIX lock on an open file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int lockf(int fd, int cmd, off_t len); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): lockf(): _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || /* Glibc since 2.19: */ _DEFAULT_SOURCE || /* Glibc versions <= 2.19: */ _BSD_SOURCE || _SVID_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
Apply, test or remove a POSIX lock on a section of an open file. The file is specified by fd, a file descriptor open for writing, the action by cmd, and the section consists of byte positions pos..pos+len-1 if len is positive, and pos-len..pos-1 if len is negative, where pos is the current file position, and if len is zero, the section extends from the current file position to infinity, encompassing the present and future end-of-file positions. In all cases, the section may extend past current end-of-file. On Linux, lockf() is just an interface on top of fcntl(2) locking. Many other systems implement lockf() in this way, but note that POSIX.1 leaves the relationship between lockf() and fcntl(2) locks unspecified. A portable application should probably avoid mixing calls to these interfaces. Valid operations are given below: F_LOCK Set an exclusive lock on the specified section of the file. If (part of) this section is already locked, the call blocks until the previous lock is released. If this section overlaps an earlier locked section, both are merged. File locks are released as soon as the process holding the locks closes some file descriptor for the file. A child process does not inherit these locks. F_TLOCK Same as F_LOCK but the call never blocks and returns an error instead if the file is already locked. F_ULOCK Unlock the indicated section of the file. This may cause a locked section to be split into two locked sections. F_TEST Test the lock: return 0 if the specified section is unlocked or locked by this process; return -1, set errno to EAGAIN (EACCES on some other systems), if another process holds a lock. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EACCES or EAGAIN The file is locked and F_TLOCK or F_TEST was specified, or the operation is prohibited because the file has been memory-mapped by another process. EBADF fd is not an open file descriptor; or cmd is F_LOCK or F_TLOCK and fd is not a writable file descriptor. EDEADLK The command was F_LOCK and this lock operation would cause a deadlock. EINVAL An invalid operation was specified in cmd. ENOLCK Too many segment locks open, lock table is full. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |lockf() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, SVr4. SEE ALSO
fcntl(2), flock(2) locks.txt and mandatory-locking.txt in the Linux kernel source directory Documentation/filesystems (on older kernels, these files are directly under the Documentation directory, and mandatory-locking.txt is called mandatory.txt) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 LOCKF(3)