Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Displaying multiple variables in for loop Post 302982303 by reindeermountai on Tuesday 27th of September 2016 07:00:06 PM
Old 09-27-2016
Displaying multiple variables in for loop

Hi!
I've run into a problem where my variables are displayed in the wrong order. Basically I'm supposed to use a file that has information like this username:firstname:lastname:etc:etc.
What I'm interested in doing is reformating it into a something more like this: username lastname, firstname.

This is the code I have so far:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#This script will read a file and then display the important #details: username and full name.
#The list will be sorted by last name.

for i in 29
do

USER_ID=$(sort -t: -k3 studenter.txt | head -$i | cut -c1-8)
 FIRST_NAME=$(sort -t: -k3 studenter.txt | head -$i | cut -f2 -d:)
 LAST_NAME=$(sort -t: -k3 studenter.txt | head -$i | cut -f3 -d:)
 echo "$USER_ID   $LAST_NAME, $FIRST_NAME"

done

When I run it in terminal it just displays all the usernames and then lastnames and then firstnames.

Thank you in advance!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with multiple variables ?

I have a script which selects two 'sets' of system LVM device files from a tabular file 'mapfile' using awk : LIVELV=`awk '{print($1)}' mapfile` BCVLV=`awk '{print($3)}' mapfile` I wanted to pass these 'sets' into an LVM command 'loop' along the lines of : lvmerge $BCVLV $LIVELV ie.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosterian
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with Multiple variables

Hi , I am trying to write a script in kshell with while loop ,its like count=1 count_cmp=1 while ; do tail -$count tempfile | head -1 > tempstring ....... done However i get CIF.sh: line 33: ' I have checked thetrailing spaces , not sure what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple variables in for loop

hi, I want an equivalent for loop for this C code in unix shell script... for(int i,int j;i<5;i++,j++) { } Please reply soon Regards Navjot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting and displaying variables

Hello, I need a little help. 1. Edit /etc/profile so that all users are greeted upon login. 2. For the root account, set the prompt to something like "Danger!! root is doing stuff in \w", preferably in a bright color such as red or pink or in reverse video mode. Thanks for help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use for/while loop with multiple variables?

Hi, I have two variables like below which will always be of the same size a=1:2:3 b=A:B:C I need to use a for/while loop that will have both the variables available. I cannot use an array here and will probably might iterate through the variable as echo $a | tr ':' '\n' and thus iterate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elizabeth H
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple variables to be passed in a loop

Hi, I need to pass the multiple values of src1 to another variable. I managed to print it but not sure how to assign it to a variable in a loop. src1=01,02,03 echo $src1|awk 'BEGIN {FS=","} {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) print $i}' I need to pass the value as src2=01 src2=02 src2=03 Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading multiple variables in a loop

Hi, I managed to read and print variable as shown in the below code. table_name=table1,table2,table3 i=0 IFS="," for i in $table_name do echo $i done Is there a way how I can read more than one variable. For example I need to read 2 variables and populate the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with multiple delimited variables

hi, i need a portion in a audit logging shell script where i have to loop thru multiple variables. I need some help in accomplishing this. i have 3 variables var1=1,23,234 var2=a,ab,xyz var3=0,0,0 the variables will have variables number of values but same length.(3 in this case ) i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock1
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variables using awk and for loop for web form submission

Hi My goal is to fill an HTML form and submit. What I have managed to do: 1. curl command to fill up the form and submit 2. a file which has the input curl command: curl -v -b cookie.txt -d __CSRFToken__=dc23d5da47953b3b390ec68d972af10380908b14 -d do=create -d a=open -d... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies
elmalias(1)						      General Commands Manual						       elmalias(1)

NAME
elmalias - display and verify elm user and system aliases SYNOPSIS
format[alias-name-list] Remarks The former functionality of the command has been taken over by the command (see newalias(1)). DESCRIPTION
The command displays and verifies user and system aliases. The system database must have been created by the command (see newalias(1)). The user database must have been created by either the com- mand or the mail system (see elm(1)). If the same alias is in both databases, the user version is used. Missing database files are silently ignored. Each database entry can have the following fields, which are described in detail in newalias(1): alias-list A list of one or more aliases for the entry. address-list A list of one or more addresses for the entry. An address can be an alias from another entry's alias-list. comment An optional field containing information about the entry. This field is not included in outbound mail. firstname An optional field interpreted as the first name of the person or group. It is used in fullname. lastname An optional field interpreted as the last name of the person or group. It is used in fullname. fullname A combination value made up from the firstname and lastname fields, in the form: firstname lastname. recognizes three types of alias names: A database entry that has one address in address-list. assumes this address is a valid mailing address. A database entry that has two or more addresses in address-list. assumes initially that these addresses are aliases to or entries. An address in a entry or an alias in alias-name-list that is not an alias in the database. In both cases, the item is reported as both the alias name and its address. With no options or operands, displays the address-list field for each alias in the two databases. If an entry has more than one alias, the address-list field is displayed multiple times. With an alias-name-list and no options, displays the address-list field of each alias name in the list. If an alias name is not found in the databases, it is treated as without comment. Options recognizes the following options: Change the display to alias name followed by address-list field. Turn debugging on. Fully expand aliases. This option can be used only when an alias-name-list is given. If an address in a address list is an alias name, it is replaced by that alias entry. The process is recursive until the results are either or types. If a address is not an alias name, it is reported as both the alias name and the address, with type Duplicate alias names are reported only once. entries are not expanded, even if their addresses are actually aliases. Display the format string for each alias name in the file or in the alias-name-list. The following character pairs are replaced in the format by the corresponding value for each alias. The alias name. The comment field. The lastname field. The fullname value. The alias type: or The address-list field. Change the display to address-list followed by fullname, if any, in parentheses. Report an error if a name in alias-name-list does not correspond to an alias in the database. Display a message for each unknown name and exit with a nonzero status. Use the system alias database only, unless is also specified. Use the user alias database only, unless is also specified. Use a verbose output format. Change the display to alias name, followed by address-list, followed by fullname, if any, in parentheses. Use a very verbose, multiline output format with the following titles, corresponding to the format codes of the option. If a field is empty, the title is omitted. EXIT STATUS
sets the following exit status values: Normal completion. An error occurred. You may have specified: o An invalid option. o The option without an alias-name-list. o The option without a format. o The option with an unknown alias name in alias-name-list. EXAMPLES
Consider a user database that contains the following entries: Since and do not refer to alias entries, they are typed as with no options or operands produces the following output. produces the alias names, address, and full name, as follows: To expand a set of aliases and format them with field titles, use the and options, as in the following command: producing: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
User alias database data table User alias database directory table User alias database hash table User alias source text System alias database data table System alias database directory table System alias database hash table System alias source text SEE ALSO
elm(1), newalias(1). elmalias(1)