Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do you compare two folders and copy the difference to a third folder in a remote server? Post 302982258 by rovf on Tuesday 27th of September 2016 08:53:57 AM
Old 09-27-2016
It's rsync, not Rsync.

The comparing is done implicitly, so you don't need a separate comparision step. You basically just do a rsync source destination, and rsync figures out by itself, what it needs to copy. To specify, what are the exact conditions, under which a file should be copied, is defined by the options which can be passed to rsync.

Last edited by rbatte1; 09-27-2016 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Converted CODE tags to ICODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare the difference between a file and a folder??

Hi, I have a .txt file which has to be compared with a folder and print the difference to some other .txt file. I did try with the diff command..i mean diff /tmp/aaa/bbb.txt /space/aaa/bbb/ /***bbb.txt contains all the files names which may or may not exist in the folder bbb..so i need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote compare of folders

Hi, Is there a way (either commands/tools/scripts/logic) to compare two given folders on different unix boxes. I want to compare folder a in Unix box 'A' with folder 'b' in Unix box 'B'. I can run the script in Unix box 'A'. I am looking. for following results: files/sub folders only in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilav
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy some files from users home folders to my folder

i have users home directories in /home all the users have some files starting with character e and i want to copy all these files in a folder in my (root) home using a script i tried the script for i in m5 do cd m5 cp e1* /home/pc/exam cd .. done but get these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcrana
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy folder from one server to remote one using SSH

ok guys. I have a Centos server running a large website I own. Its is severely struggling under the load and I am having to move to a new load balanced setup. The servers are both remote (to me) and although I can do most things admin wise in nix, I am struggling a bit to come up with a way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anderow
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files of type within folder copy multiple results to different folders

Ok question number two: I'd like to search a directory for multiple file types (rar, txt, deb) and depending on what's found, copy those files to folders named Rar, TextFiles, and Debs. I'm looking for speed here so the faster the script the better. I want it to be a function that I pass 1 argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Need to compare 2 folders on 2 different systems, and copy unmatched filenames to other folder

This has been tearing my hair out. I need to: 1: compare server1:/data/archive/ to server2:/data/archive/ (through rsync, ssh, etc) 2: filenames that don't match, get copied (scp) to server2:/data/ server1 and server2 have ssh, scp, rsync access between eachother. Is there any option in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy folder and files from unix server to linux server

We would be migrating unix solaries to Linux redhat. Basically source is unix and target is linux. i would like to copy entire file system unix/source/* to target linux/souce/* but target linux has only folder setup so what ever files copied need to be placed in the linux server with same... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files

Hi, I need help in shell scripting. If someone can help me, that would be great! Problem. I want Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files. Description. I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to copy all distinct/new/unique/missing files from /dir1 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Praveen Kumar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Directories and folders on two remote lpar

Hello, i'm trying to script to compare the same directory on the lpar. The problem is i'm using the command : find /etc -type d -ls but i cannot reach the remote lpar. I have another solution to put that command in a text file and compare with Excel. but i could be fine to have the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy local files to single remote host but multiple folders using rsync

I'm trying to copy a file myfile.scr from my local Linux server to multiple folders on remote AiX server using single rsync command. Below command helps me copy the file "myfile.scr" from my localhost to a remote host folder "/app/deployment/tmpfiles" rsync --delay-updates -F --compress... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)