Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Concatenate column values when header is Matching from multiple files Post 302982170 by Don Cragun on Sunday 25th of September 2016 11:33:54 PM
Old 09-26-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina2910
@Don ...it worked perfectly and thank you so for sparing time for me and explaining it for me. I am so sorry could not replied on it earlier. I was looking for a function or one liner so that I can use it in my script.

---------- Post updated at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:06 PM ----------

@Rudi ...Thank you so much but it changes the header columns order

---------- Post updated at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:30 PM ----------

@Ravinder thank you however the latest code didn't work Smilie
You asked Ravinder for an explanation of his code, so I assumed you would want comments on how my code worked as well.

Sorry, but I don't do one-liners; I try to write code that can be read and understood. You can convert my code to an unreadable 1-liner if you want to; but if you ever need to modify it in the future and can't figure out how to do it, don't expect me to try to help you modify my code after you have made it unreadable!

I'm sorry that my code did not meet your needs either. If you needed a function instead of a complete script, you should have explained what inputs your function would be given and what the function is supposed to return to the invoking script. I guess I don't see what a function would do for you that isn't done by the script I suggested in post #5 in this thread.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a header column by adding another column entry to the header column name URGENT!!

Hi All, I have a file example.csv which looks like this GrpID,TargetID,Signal,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256 CSCH74_1_1,212007,647,679 CSCH74_1_1,12007,3,32 CSCH74_1_1,207,299,777 I want the output as GrpID,TragetID,Signal-CSCH74_1_1,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vavad
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename a header column by adding another column entry to the header column name

Hi All, I have a file example.csv which looks like this GrpID,TargetID,Signal,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256 CSCH74_1_1,212007,647,679 CSCH74_1_1,12007,3,32 CSCH74_1_1,207,299,777 I want the output as GrpID,TragetID,Signal-CSCH74_1_1,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vavad
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift values in one column as header for values in another column

Hi Gurus, I have a tab separated text file with two columns. I would like to make the first column values as headings for the second column values. Ex. >value1 subjects >value2 priorities >value3 requirements ...etc and I want to have a file >value1 subjects >value2 priorities... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum values of specific column in multiple files, considering ranges defined in another file

I have a file (let say file B) like this: File B: A1 3 5 A1 7 9 A2 2 5 A3 1 3 The first column defines a filename and the other two define a range in that specific file. In the same directory, I have also three more files (File A1, A2 and A3). Here is 10 sample lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum column values matching other field

this is part of a KT i am going thru. i am writing a script in bash shell, linux where i have 2 columns where 1st signifies the nth hour like 00, 01, 02...23 and 2nd the file size. sample data attached. Desired output is 3 columns which will give the nth hour, number of entries in nth hour and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting values based on line-column numbers from multiple text files

Dear All, I have to solve the following problems with multiple tab-separated text file but I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have access to Linux mint (but not as a professional). I have multiple tab-delimited files with the following structure: file1: 1 44 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate values in the first column based on the second column.

I have a file (myfile.txt) with contents like this: 1.txt apple is 3.txt apple is 5.txt apple is 2.txt apple is a 7.txt apple is a 8.txt apple is a fruit 4.txt orange not a fruit 6.txt zero isThe above file is already sorted using this command: sort -k2 myfile.txtMy objective is to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing same column from two files, printing whole row with matching values

First I'd like to apologize if I opened a thread which is already open somewhere. I did a bit of searching but could quite find what I was looking for, so I will try to explaing what I need. I'm writing a script on our server, got to a point where I have two files with results. Example: File1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitabrev83
6 Replies
JED(1)								   User Manuals 							    JED(1)

NAME
Jed - programmers editor SYNOPSIS
jed --version jed-script --version xjed --version jed [--secure] [--batch|--script|--help] [options] file ... jed-script [--secure] script file [script options] ... xjed [--secure] [X options] [--batch|--script|--help] [options] file ... DESCRIPTION
Jed - programmers editor Features: Color syntax highlighting. Emulation of Emacs, EDT, Wordstar, and Brief editors. Extensible in a language resembling C. Completely cus- tomizable. Editing TeX files with AUC-TeX style editing (BiBTeX support too). Folding support, and much more... For complete documentation, see GNU info files, this manual only provides brief tutorial. OPTIONS
major options --version prints the version and compiletime variables. --help prints usage information. --secure runs Jed in secure mode, e.g. you can't run any external commands with system() or run_shell_cmd(). --batch run Jed in batch mode. This is a non-interactive mode. --script this is a mode like --batch but jed does not eval the startup files. It behaves like slsh. You must give the file that should be evaluated as second argument. It's the same as calling jed-script. minor options -n do not load .jedrc file. -a 'file' load file as user configuration file instead of .jedrc. + 'n' goto line n in buffer (notice that in order to this option to take effect, if must appear before the file name in the command line, like 'jed +3 file') -g 'n' goto line n in buffer (notice that in order to this option to take effect, if must appear after the file name in the command line, like 'jed file -g 3') -l 'file' load file as S-Lang code. -f 'function' execute S-Lang function named function -s 'string' search forward for string -2 split window -i 'file' insert file into current buffer. X options xjed accapts the common options like -display, -name, -fn and -geometry. Additionaly it accepts -facesize SIZE, -fs SIZE if build with XRENDERFONT support, selects the font size SIZE. Use it with the option -fn to select a scalable font. -foreground COLOR, -fg COLOR sets the foreground color. -background COLOR, -bg COLOR sets the background color. -fgMouse COLOR, -mfg COLOR sets the foreground color of the mouse pointer. -bgMouse COLOR, -mbg COLOR sets the background color of the mouse pointer. -Iconic, -ic start iconified. -title NAME sets the window title to NAME. For more options look at xterm.c. CONFIGURATION
Emulating Other Editors JED's ability to create new functions using the S-Lang programming language as well as allowing the user to choose key bindings, makes the emulation of other editors possible. Currently, JED provides reasonable emulation of the Emacs, EDT, and Wordstar editors. Emacs Emulation Emacs Emulation is provided by the S-Lang code in emacs.sl. The basic functionality of Emacs is emulated; most Emacs users should have no problem with JED. To enable Emacs emulation in JED, make sure that the line: () = evalfile ("emacs"); is in your jed.rc (.jedrc) startup file. JED is distributed with this line already present in the default jed.rc file. EDT Emulation For EDT emulation, edt.sl must be loaded. This is accomplished by ensuring that the line: () = evalfile ("edt"); is in present in the jed.rc (.jedrc) Startup File. Wordstar Emulation wordstar.sl contains the S-Lang code for JED's Wordstar emulation. Adding the line () = evalfile ("wordstar"); to your jed.rc (.jedrc) startup file will enable JED's Wordstar emulation. RUN TIME
Status line and Windows JED supports multiple windows. Each window may contain the same buffer or different buffers. A status line is displayed immediately below each window. The status line contains information such as the JED version number, the buffer name, mode, etc. Please beware of the fol- lowing indicators: ** buffer has been modified since last save. %% buffer is read only. m Mark set indicator. This means a region is being defined. d File changed on disk indicator. This indicates that the file associated with the buffer is newer than the buffer itself. s spot pushed indicator. + Undo is enabled for the buffer. [Narrow] Buffer is narrowed to a region of LINES. [Macro] A macro is being defined. Mini-Buffer. The Mini-Buffer consists of a single line located at the bottom of the screen. Much of the dialog between the user and JED takes place in this buffer. For example, when you search for a string, JED will prompt you for the string in the Mini-Buffer. The Mini-Buffer also provides a direct link to the S-Lang interpreter. To access the interpreter, press Ctrl-X Esc and the S-Lang> prompt will appear in the Mini-Buffer. Enter any valid S-Lang expression for evaluation by the interpreter. It is possible to recall data previously entered into the Mini-Buffer by using the up and down arrow keys. This makes it possible to use and edit previous expressions in a convenient and efficient manner. Basic Editing Editing with JED is pretty easy - most keys simply insert themselves. Movement around the buffer is usually done using the arrow keys or page up and page down keys. If edt.sl is loaded, the keypads on VTxxx terminals function as well. Here, only the highlights are touched upon (cut/paste operations are not considered `highlights'). In the following, any character prefixed by the ^ character denotes a Control character. On keyboards without an explicit Escape key, Ctrl-[ will most likely generate and Escape character. A prefix argument to a command may be generated by first hitting the Esc key, then entering the number followed by pressing the desired key. Normally, the prefix argument is used simply for repetition. For example, to move to the right 40 characters, one would press Esc 4 0 followed immediately by the right arrow key. This illustrates the use of the repeat argument for repetition. However, the prefix argu- ment may be used in other ways as well. For example, to begin defining a region, one would press the Ctrl-@ key. This sets the mark and begins highlighting. Pressing the Ctrl-@ key with a prefix argument will abort the act of defining the region and to pop the mark. The following list of useful keybindings assumes that emacs.sl has been loaded. Ctrl-L Redraw screen. Ctrl-_ Undo (Control-underscore, also Ctrl-X u'). Esc q Reformat paragraph (wrap mode). Used with a prefix argument. will justify the paragraph as well. Esc n narrow paragraph (wrap mode). Used with a prefix argument will justify the paragraph as well. Esc ; Make Language comment (Fortran and C) Esc Trim whitespace around point Esc ! Execute shell command Esc $ Ispell word Ctrl-X ? Show line/column information. ` quoted_insert --- insert next char as is (backquote key) Esc s Center line. Esc u Upcase word. Esc d Downcase word. Esc c Capitalize word. Esc x Get M-x minibuffer prompt with command completion Ctrl-X Ctrl-B pop up a list of buffers Ctrl-X Ctrl-C exit JED Ctrl-X 0 Delete Current Window Ctrl-X 1 One Window. Ctrl-X 2 Split Window. Ctrl-X o Other window. Ctrl-X b switch to buffer Ctrl-X k kill buffer Ctrl-X s save some buffers Ctrl-X Esc Get "S-Lang>" prompt for interface to the S-Lang interpreter. Esc . Find tag Ctrl-@ Set Mark (Begin defining a region). Used with a prefix argument aborts the act of defining the region and pops the Mark. FILES
JED_ROOT/lib/*.sl these are the default runtime jed slang files (packages like jed-extra can define additional slang library directories) JED_ROOT/lib/site.sl This is the default startup file. /etc/jed.d/*.sl The system wide configuration files (this is a special Debian feature). ~/.jedrc Per user configuration file, or ~/.jed/jed.rc per user configuration file if the Jed_Home_Directory ~/.jed/ exists. AUTHOR
John E. Davis <davis@space.mit.edu> Jed's Author --- This document was translated to nroff by "Boris D. Beletsky" <borik@isracom.co.il> Debian OCT 1996 JED(1)