Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What does this shell script do? Need in depth explanation please Post 302982164 by shadowknight777 on Sunday 25th of September 2016 07:43:25 PM
Old 09-25-2016
What does this shell script do? Need in depth explanation please

Hi

My friend wrote this particular script and won't tell me what it does, and when I run it I don't understand it.

What does the entire script do with specifics please.

Thanks
Bob

Code:
#!/bin/bash
current=0
while [ $SECONDS -le 10 ]; do
if [ $SECONDS -eq ${current} ]; then
echo ${current}
current=$((${current}+1))
fi
done

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-25-2016 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any explanation for thsi shell script behaviour

hello whats the difference between excuting a shell script as a)sh myscript.sh b). ./myscript.sh i noticed that my shell script works fine when i run it as . ./myscript .sh but fails when i run it as sh myscript.sh could anybody explain why. the shell script is very simple ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script explanation

I have the following script awk '$1 ~ /^*+/ { s += $NF; m++ } END { print NR, m, s } and I use it to get results from the following file A4792 4 COMP9021 5 K9 7 ABC 8 924 1 R2D2 3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation of script

Hi All, Can anybody explain what this script is doing? #!/bin/sh who | cut -d " " -f1 | sort -u > userlist1 while true ; do sleep 60 who | cut -d" " -f1 | sort -u >userlist2 for username in `cat userlist1` ; do if ! grep "^$username$" userlist2 > /dev/null ; then echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation for a script

Guys, was wondering what the meaning of the below bit is ? awk -F ' ' '{print $1 " " $2 ;}' $TEMPFILE | (rm -f $TEMPFILE; sed 's/$/ '"$box"'/g' > $TEMPFILE) Can anyone explain this in detail? what is the significance of rm -f $TEMPFILE here? What all IO/buffering happens here ?How the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hashin_p
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Explanation

Hello, I have seen this script on this site. I understand most of it. However I am a bit stuck on the part in red. It appears to be expanding for file in *.zip do zipdir=${file%.*} mkdir $zipdir || echo "unable to create $zipdir" cp $file $zipdir || echo "unable to copy $file"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script explanation

#script fileused=test.txt hostname=test.dis.com ftp $hostname <<-! > $fileused.err 2>&1 put file.txt /usr/text.txt bye ! kindly the above script the one marked as Bold and underlined as the above i am declaring the new variable as filename ,But when i used i had used as $fileused.err... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajar_r
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need an explanation on this script...

The following script will create a directory in a directory and will go on as many times as the number you will give in. I am trying to find out how it works ... can someone please help me with that? #!/bin/sh #create a variable and set it to 1 n=1 #start a loop as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Explanation of script

Hello Guys, can someone help explain the script below for me? I will really appreciate it. vi db_script #!/bin/sh echo .cron job run on.`date`> cronjob.txt df -h >> cronjob.txt echo welcome to home (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write Perl Script to Get MQ Queue Depth?

Hi , I got the following script from internet to display queue depth using Perl Script. However, when I execute it , im getting following error. Can anyone shed light on what is going wrong? #!/usr/bin/perl ## 07/23/01 ## Depth Inquiry sample program. ## Arguments: ## Connects to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script explanation

Hey, can someone explain me this script? i=0 while read WORT do echo $WORT|grep a>/dev/null || echo$WORT|grep B>dev/null || let i=$i+1 done echo $i The first lane initializie the variable i with the value of 0. The loop line has 3 different options because of ||. The only option I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser21
10 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)