Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Profiling Processes while shutdown Post 302982146 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 25th of September 2016 07:54:20 AM
Old 09-25-2016
With regard to gdb: it will not have the problem, but if the process it controls does have issues, what then? Why are you shutting down with processes running under gdb? Sounds like a bad plan to me.

Shutdown works by sending signals to processes to go through orderly shutdown. If a process cannot or is in a deadlock because a another process locked a mutex then got killed off, SIGTERM will not shut the process down. There are so-called robust mutexes that can help.

pthread_mutexattr_getrobust

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Profiling..entry for a function in pthread_create

Hello, i am try to write a profiler for a multithreaded applciation. When i creat e a thread for "function f2()" the profiling information for this function does not get captured in the struct profileManager. i;e i get the exit information for "function f2()" in that thread, but the entry... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikky Panchal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel Profiling

I compiled my device driver with the profiling option -p but while linking I am getting undefined reference to _mcount. LD /vobs/femto_drivers/DspBiosLink/dsplinkk/src/dsplinkk.o Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST *** Warning: "_mcount" undefined! Architechture: ppc32 From... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok V
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

profiling execution of a process

question goes like this : Explain how users can profile execution of a process with help of an example? can some one pls give me the answer?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakesh1988
1 Replies

5. Programming

Profiling results and SMP

The SCO OSR 5.7 system was migrated from older HP DL360 to new DL380 G7. The SMP feature was not activated on older box, it is activated now on this 4 core Xeon. A s/w we maintain has been copied without any change over to the new box. I noticed that the application profiling does not show any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies

6. AIX

C profiling tool for AIX

Hello everybody, Please let me know if there are any free C profiling tool for AIX environment Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteAlma
0 Replies
DRACUT-SHUTDOWN.S(8)						      dracut						      DRACUT-SHUTDOWN.S(8)

NAME
dracut-shutdown.service - unpack the initramfs to /run/initramfs SYNOPSIS
dracut-shutdown.service DESCRIPTION
This service unpacks the initramfs image to /run/initramfs. systemd pivots into /run/initramfs at shutdown, so the root filesytem can be safely unmounted. The following steps are executed during a shutdown: o systemd switches to the shutdown.target o systemd starts /lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target.wants/dracut-shutdown.service o dracut-shutdown.service executes /usr/lib/dracut/dracut-initramfs-restore which unpacks the initramfs to /run/initramfs o systemd finishes shutdown.target o systemd kills all processes o systemd tries to unmount everything and mounts the remaining read-only o systemd checks, if there is a /run/initramfs/shutdown executable o if yes, it does a pivot_root to /run/initramfs and executes ./shutdown. The old root is then mounted on /oldroot. /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/99shutdown/shutdown.sh is the shutdown executable. o shutdown will try to umount every /oldroot mount and calls the various shutdown hooks from the dracut modules This ensures, that all devices are disassembled and unmounted cleanly. To debug the shutdown process, you can get a shell in the shutdown procedure by injecting "rd.break=pre-shutdown rd.shell" or "rd.break=shutdown rd.shell". # mkdir -p /run/initramfs/etc/cmdline.d # echo "rd.break=pre-shutdown rd.shell" > /run/initramfs/etc/cmdline.d/debug.conf # touch /run/initramfs/.need_shutdown AUTHORS
Harald Hoyer SEE ALSO
dracut(8) dracut 09/12/2013 DRACUT-SHUTDOWN.S(8)