Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Interpretation of UNIX command Post 302982080 by RudiC on Friday 23rd of September 2016 05:40:48 AM
Old 09-23-2016
The first pipe is an expensive (and error prone) way to mimic the behaviour of ls *; not sure what it should be good for.
wc -l yields the count of lines, not words.
Please note that options to any command are introduced by a - (minus sign), NOT a (Unicode U+2014, "EM DASH") character which leads to a syntax error.

Last edited by RudiC; 09-23-2016 at 08:39 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell interpretation

I executed the following command in the korn shell: $ variable1="qwerty" ls | sort and the shell executed the 'ls | sort' command. I would have expected an error message from the shell, but instead of that the shell ran the 'ls | sort' command and didn't realize the variable assignement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhilippeCrokaer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prevent bash from interpretation :

I am using bash shell; my requirement is to run a long command. Now I have split this long command into a number of shell variables. Some of these shell variables contain special character ':' At the end, when the intended long command is executed as a series of small shell variables the ':'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpretation of the uptime command

Hi there, do someone have detailed information how to interpret the uptime command or rather which values can be called normal? (i know what the information means, but i have no idea if these values are ok or to high: 3:02pm an 13:53, 2 Benutzer, Durchschnittslast: 10,06, 12,05, 13,00) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: odin1999
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

5. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

6. AIX

methods of command interpretation in AIX

what are the various methods through which a command is interpreted in AIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpretation needed for gawk command

Hi All I am running a insatll script in linux which installs the project. Could you please help in interpreting this command gawk '{ if (substr($1,0,1) == "\047") gsub("^\047+|\047+$", "", $1); print }' where $1 = BBME Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

8. AIX

lspath output interpretation

On my VIo I see the following for my disks: $ lspath | grep hdisk6 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200600a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200700a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi2 200600a0b82193f8,4000000000000 Failed hdisk6 fscsi2 200700a0b82193f8,4000000000000 $ lspath |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Truss output interpretation

hi, anyone can help on this piece of truss output? 8094: 0.7028 write(4, 0x0043BE90, 236) = 236 8094: T S H \0\0\0EC020101\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0 "02\0\0 303\0\0 I D 8094: \f %\0\0\0\0 2\0F67F\0\0\0\0 @06FFC99A ; 8094: L D6\0 303 8094: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostdog74
6 Replies
od(1)							      General Commands Manual							     od(1)

Name
       od - create file octal dump

Syntax
       od [options] [file] [offset] [label]

Description
       The  command displays file, or its standard input, in one or more dump formats as selected by the first argument.  If the first argument is
       missing, -o is the default.  Dumping continues until end-of-file.

Options
       -a[p|P] Interprets bytes as characters and display them with their ACSII names.	If the p character is given also,  then  bytes	with  even
	       parity are underlined.  The P character causes bytes with odd parity to be underlined.  Otherwise the parity bit is ignored.

-b      Displays bytes as unsigned octal.

-c      Displays  bytes	as ASCII characters.  Certain non-graphic characters appear as C escapes: null=, backspace=, formfeed=f, new-
	       line=
, return=
, tab=	; others appear as 3-digit octal numbers.  Bytes with the parity bit set are displayed in octal.

-d      Displays short words as unsigned decimal.

-f      Displays long words as floating point.

-h      Displays short words as unsigned hexadecimal.

-i      Displays short words as signed decimal.

-l      Displays long words as signed decimal.

-o      Displays short words as unsigned octal.

-s[n]   Looks for strings of ASCII characters of n minimum length.  By default, the minimum length is 3 characters.

-v      Displays all data and indicates lines identical to the last line shown with an * in column 1.

-w[n]   Specifies the number of input bytes to be interpreted and displayed on each output line. If w is not specified, 16 bytes  are  read
	       for each display line.  If n is not specified, it defaults to 32.

-x      Displays short words as hexadecimal.

An upper case format character implies the long or double precision form of the object.

The  offset  argument  specifies  the  byte  offset into the file where dumping is to commence.	By default this argument is interpreted in
       octal.  A different radix can be specified; If ``.'' is appended to the argument, then offset is interpreted in decimal.  If offset  begins
       with  ``x'' or ``0x'', it is interpreted in hexadecimal.  If ``b'' (``B'') is appended, the offset is interpreted as a block count, where a
       block is 512 (1024) bytes.  If the file argument is omitted, an offset argument must be preceded by ``+''.

The radix of the displayed address is the same as the radix of the offset, if specified; otherwise it is octal.

The label is interpreted as a pseudo-address for the first byte displayed.  It is shown	in  ``()''  following  the  file  offset.   It	is
       intended to be used with core images to indicate the real memory address.  The syntax for label is identical to that for offset.

Restrictions
       A file name argument can't start with ``+''.  A hexadecimal offset can't be a block count.  Only one file name argument can be given.

It is an historical botch to require specification of object, radix, and sign representation in a single character argument.

See Also
       adb(1) - VAX only, dbx(1)

od(1)