Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk to escape space in name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to escape space in name Post 302982021 by shamrock on Thursday 22nd of September 2016 01:00:31 PM
Old 09-22-2016
I get the desired output by tweaking the FS in your "first awk"...
Code:
awk -F"\"[,:]* *\"*" '{
    for (i=1; i<NF; i++) {
        if ($i ~ "path") print $(i+1)
        else if ($i ~ "Sample Name") print $(i+1)
    }
}' file

This User Gave Thanks to shamrock For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / escape character

Hi I'm trying to split a dir listing eg /home/foo1/foo2 I'm using ksh I've tried dir=/home/foo1/foo2 splitit=`echo $dir | awk -F '\/' '{print $1}'` echo $splitit nothing is output! I have checked the escape character. The only one I have found is \ BTW `pwd` | awk -F \/... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape space in for loop

I have a file with the following contents # more hello.txt man hello man whereru The shell script i have tries to echo the contents of the file hello.txt for i in `cat hello.txt` do echo $i done but the output i am getting is taking the space as a new line.. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Space in a ssh command

The following statement does work. But the second command does not work as expected. ssh root@123.123.123.123 \\"mysqldump -h localhost -u root -pPassWord dbName -d | gzip -cf\\" | gunzip -c > database1.sql ssh root@123.123.123.123 \\"mysqlbinlog /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.*... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape space characters in loop from file

Hi Everyone! I want to build sql inserts from a list of countries/regions saved in a file. The list looks like this: United Kingdom Czech Republic ... The script I run is: while read i; do var=`expr $var + 1`; echo "INSERT INTO calltypes VALUES($var, '$i','$i');" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuca
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk escape character

ll|awk '{print "INSERT INTO SCHEMA.TABLE_NAME VALUES (`"$9 "`,"$5");" }' INSERT INTO SCHEMA.TABLE_NAME VALUES (``,); INSERT INTO SCHEMA.TABLE_NAME VALUES (`TABLE_PARTITION_Y2010M03D06.dmp`,7923328); INSERT INTO SCHEMA.TABLE_NAME VALUES (`TABLE_PARTITION_Y2010M03D06.log`,1389); But I want ' in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faruque.ahmed
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print $1 escape all special characters

I'm using awk '{print $1}' and it works most of the time to print the contents of a mysql query loop, but occationally I get a field with some special character in it, is there a way to tell awk to ignore all special characters between my FS? I have >186K records, so building a list of ALL special... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk with the date command and escape characters

I have a file that is a log file for web traffic. I would like to convert the timestamp in it to unix time or epoch time. I am using the date command in conjunction with awk to try to do this. Just myfile: 28/Aug/1995:00:00:38 1 /pub/atomicbk/catalog/home.gif 813 28/Aug/1995:00:00:38 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not escape my bash variable

I tried to parse data from switch configuration files vlan 1727 name SQ5506-15 by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/13 ! vlan 2105 name SQ5620-7007(BR2) by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/17 ! interface ethernet 1/13 port-name SQ5506-15.nic0 rate-limit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: winggundamth
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape ' in awk

I am trying to escape single quote in awk, but could not: awk ' BEGIN{ fstr="COMPRESS('Y','N')" } { substr($1,len-3,4)~/_IND/ len=length($1) if(substr($1,len-3,4)~/_IND/) printf("%-32s%-14s%-5s%-14s\n",$1,$2,$3,$fstr,$4,$5,$6,$7) } ' tt.txt > out.log Error: awk: Field... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to remove leading space from awk statement space from calculation

I created a awk state to calculate the number of success however when the query runs it has a leading zero. Any ideas on how to remove the leading zero from the calculation? Here is my query: cat myfile.log | grep | awk '{print $2,$3,$7,$11,$15,$19,$23,$27,$31,$35($19/$15*100)}' 02:00:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bizomb
1 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)