Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Issue with tracking successful completion of Child process running in background Post 302981819 by dmukherjee on Tuesday 20th of September 2016 03:57:35 AM
Old 09-20-2016
Code Issue with tracking successful completion of Child process running in background

Hello All,

I am using Linux. I have two scripts:
  1. inner_script.ksh
  2. main_wrapper_calling_inner.ksh

Below is the code snippet of the main_wrapper_calling_inner.ksh:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

ppids=() ---> Main array for process ids.
fppids=() ---> array to capture failed process ids.
pcnt=0 ---> success count
fpcnt=0 ---> fail count

echo ""
start_time=`date '+%Y/%m/%d:%H:%M:%S'`

for file in `cat ${CONFIG_DIR}/abc.txt`
do
        table_name=`echo ${file}`

nohup ksh ${BIN_DIR}/inner_script.ksh ${table_name}>${LOG_DIR}/${table_name}_inner_script_${curr_date}.log &
        ppids+=($!)
        echo "Process ID:       $!."
        echo ""
        echo "Log File for ${table_name} is: ${LOG_DIR}/${table_name}_inner_script_${curr_date}.log"
done

echo ""
echo ""
echo "Starting Checking the process completion of all tables:"

export tot_table_cnt=`wc -l ${CONFIG_DIR}/abc.txt|awk '{ print $1 }'`
echo ""
echo "Total Number of tables: ${tot_table_cnt}."

while [ ${pcnt} -lt ${tot_table_cnt} ]; do
ptmp=()
   for p in ${ppids[@]}
   do
        if [[ ! -d /proc/${p} ]]; then
                wait ${p}
                sts=$?
                if [[ $sts -eq 0 || $sts -eq 127 ]]; then
                        echo "Process completed with Process ID ${p}; exit code: $sts; at `date '+%Y/%m/%d:%H:%M:%S'`"
                        pcnt=`expr $pcnt + 1`
                else
                        echo "Process failed for Process ID: ${p}"
                        index=`echo ${ppids[@]/$p//}|cut -d/ -f1 |wc -w |tr -d ' '`
                        unset ppids[$index]
                        pcnt=`expr $pcnt + 1`
                        fpcnt=`expr $fpcnt + 1`
                        fppids+=(${p})
                fi

else
                zombie_lst=$(ps axo pid=,stat= | awk '$2~/^Z/ { print $1 }'|grep "$p")
                if [[ -z ${zombie_lst} ]]; then
                         ptmp+=(${p})
                else
                        wait ${p}
                        sts=$?
                        if [[ $sts -eq 0 || $sts -eq 127 ]]; then
                                echo "Process completed with Process ID ${p}; exit code: $sts; at `date '+%Y/%m/%d:%H:%M:%S'`"
                                pcnt=`expr $pcnt + 1`
                        elif [[ $sts -ne 0 || $sts -ne 127 ]]; then
                                echo "Process failed for Process ID: ${p}"
                                unset ppids[$index]
                                pcnt=`expr $pcnt + 1`
                                fpcnt=`expr $fpcnt + 1`
                                fppids+=(${p})
                        else
                                kill -TERM ${p}
                                unset ppids[$index]
                                pcnt=`expr $pcnt + 1`
                        fi
                fi

fi

done
   ppids=(${ptmp[@]})

done

if [[ $pcnt -eq ${tot_table_cnt} ]]; then
        echo "process for all tables is complete for ${curr_date}."

if [[ $fpcnt -eq 0 ]]; then
                echo ""
                echo "process is successfully completed for all Tables."
                echo "DONE file is touched."
                touch ${TEMP_DIR}/inner_script_completion.done
                echo ""
        else
                echo ""
                echo "process failed for ${fpcnt} tables."
                echo "Failed Process IDs are ${fppids[@]}."
                echo "DONE File is not touched in ${TEMP_DIR} path. Need to verify or re-run the process manually."
        fi
fi

Config File abc.txt has newline separated values like:
Code:
a
b
c
d

Below is the code snippet for inner_script.ksh:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
nohup hive -S -e "do something;" &
pid=$!
wait $pid
status=$?
if [[ $status -eq 0 ]]; then
   echo "Success"
   exit 0
else
   echo "failure"
   exit 1
fi

Scenario:
I am trying to execute the inner_script in parallel for each of the value in config file abc.txt and to track the completion of each child process. I want the entire execution time to be the maximum execution time of any child process.

Problem:
  1. Parent is unable to track the successful completion of some of the child process. Atleast one child process becomes Zombie or defunct.
  2. I am using zombie_lst=$(ps axo pid=,stat= | awk '$2~/^Z/ { print $1 }'|grep "$p") to identify if a child has become zombie and then trying to WAIT on that. Does WAIT works with a Zombie process?
  3. At the end...I am doing a KILL -TERM ${p} if the child has become a Zombie. Is this KILL -TERM ${p} actually killing the entire process?

Kindly suggest.

Last edited by rbatte1; 09-20-2016 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags for files and formatted lists rather than text lists

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running process in background

I'm trying to install a solaris 9 patch cluster and when I try to use & to run in background it won't allow me to enter in my sudo password so it fails the install and sudo auth. Does Solaris not have screen like linux? If & will work what am I doing wrong? sudo ./install_cluster -q & is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle library issue in child process

Hi, I am using a daemon from which I am forking 3 processes P1,P2,P3 out of which P3 is compiled with oracle lib32/libclntsh.so and P1,P2 are non database process. The Logic of daemon is that if any one goes down simply clean the other and refork all the 3 again. P3 is getting forked first time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unisuraj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a child process running in background to the parent

Hi All, I have a script which calls a child script with a parameter to be run in the background . childscript.ksh $a & Can any one suggest me how do i export a variable from the child script to parent script? Note that the child script is in background If the child script is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background Process Completion

I have my unix machine configured to run locate.updatedb on login in the background and after it completes, when I run a command such as ls-- the console returns the results of ls and + Done sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedbIs there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prodiga1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to determine the completion of a background process to trigger something else?

I've been thinking about a peculiar problem, and so far haven't been able to find out a convincing solution to that. To put it simply, I have a shell script (assume it to be parent_script.sh), calling another shell script (child_script.sh) 5 times, in nohup mode to be executed in the background.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviktheory11
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies