Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 to 11.1 update help Post 302981806 by fly3rs on Monday 19th of September 2016 06:51:30 PM
Old 09-19-2016
thanks - yes it did update the zone automatically but only after I had trouble configuring the global zone IPS repo. I started out with a fresh 11.0 install and was able to create a zone with 11.0 repo... that zone took a pkg publisher of localhost as the global zone was using file:///export/repo11-0 which is where I copied the download. This is all being done on test system and I'm creating zones as I update - the system I will be working on is 11.0 and has zones on it with no pkg publisher - well they have the default which using oracle web site - there is no internet connection for these systems so I'm having to do it with local IPS repos. This forum won't let me put links in it until I have 5 posts but the pkg publisher on both my zones now are h t t p localhost 1008 solaris. My concern is when I attempt this on production system the update to the zones will not connect to the repo configured on the global zone. The repo on my zones was I guess automatically created when I built them from the corresponding repos... I built one zone at 11.0 it updated to 11.1 when I updated the global zone.. i created another zone with 11.1 repo. Right now I believe both my zones see the 11.1 repo via http connection but not sure what will happen when I change the repo to 11.2 - more so I'm concerned that none of this will work on production system as I belive the 11.0 zones on it where created with .flar file not a IPS repo... any guidance is appreciated.. thanks a lot - Steve

---------- Post updated at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:36 PM ----------

PS - I belive with Solaris 11 and above the zones are called Kernel zones and take the properties of global zone properties..

Here is global zone pkg publisher..

root@suntest:~# pkg publisher
PUBLISHER TYPE STATUS P LOCATION
solaris origin online F file:///export/11-1repo/
root@suntest:~#

Here are both zones publishers

root@testzone:~# pkg publisher
solaris (syspub) origin online F <system-repository>
root@testzone:~#

The original pkg publisher on teszone after it was created with 11.0repo and pre-update repo was

PUBLISHER TYPE STATUS URI
solaris (syspub) origin online localhost:1008/solaris/33282b6a4e23725e2f8bed226e001415c59822cd/
solaris (syspub) origin online localhost:1008/solaris/85de7030275d53794b9da3089aafe72436621f1f/

then it changed to

PUBLISHER TYPE STATUS URI
solaris (syspub) origin online localhost:1008/solaris/64d778c23faf291c05547397679007c683a7d502/

excuse the 2 above results as I can't post URL's yet until I have 5 posts... but there was an h t t p in front of localhost...

and now it's

root@testzone11-1:~# pkg publisher
solaris (syspub) origin online F <system-repository>
root@testzone11-1:~#

I guess after the update to 11.1 it no longer points to http connection

Now you see why it's so confusing... I made none of these changes to the zones - it was all done either during initial build or while updating global zone...

Last edited by fly3rs; 09-19-2016 at 08:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to update patches to Solaris 10?

I am seeking help to add patches to Solaris 10 on 64 bit Sparc server. This is to prepare the server for the installation of Oracle 10g. Please list command and specific directory that patches should be added to. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How update Solaris ?

I have Solaris 10 01/06 version on my server, but i wanna update her from my DVD-Disc to 08/07. How i can do it ? I has try boot from disc, but don't find Upgrade function =( Please help me anyone! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
1 Replies

3. Solaris

update openshh on solaris 10

Hi All, I've downloaded and extracted openssh4.1 on solaris 10. When I run the install-sh, it replied with "./install-sh: no input file specified". The file is executable and been move to owner root or the rest of the files. Why is that? Please help. Thanks in advance, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Undo the Veritas mirroring and update from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10

Hi all I wish to undo the mirroring for root and update the Solaris version from 8 to 10. Since i am lack of knowledge and experience on this, hope you all can help me double check the step and correct me. Existing disk groups details root@leo # vxdg list NAME STATE ID... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Update Solaris patch

Hi All I had update the solaris version, and now wish to update the patch. but when i check my patch version, i cant find any version for that. any idea? root@leo # showrev Hostname: leo Hostid: 839b58a3 Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Update Solaris from 8 to 10

Hi all, i am facing a problem. i cant update the 8 to 10. It show me the error cannot mount the root, swap, and other filesystem. when i run # format in the normal situation, it give me the below result # format 0. c1t0d0 <SUN146G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 848> ... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Update 2 to 7

I need to get from Solaris 10 update 2 to update 7, whats the quickest way just apply kernel patch or live upgrade? If it is just kernel patching can i go straight from update 2 to 7 or do I have to apply each revision level patch i.e. go from update 2 to 3 to 4 etc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Install update 6 on solaris with update 3

I want to update my solaris 10 server which is currently on update 3 stage. A new application require it to be on update 6. What is the best way to make it update 6. should i just install the patch or should i go for the liveupgrade?? thanks for you help in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxravi
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Repo Update

Hi Folks, Just a quick question on this, I've tried to run this a couple of times now - first time it failed I increased the swap. I'm not sure that increasing the physical memory will do any good, but will try later today - has anyone seen this or anything similar? SunOS fvssphsun01 5.11... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
8 Replies

10. Solaris

How to update Solaris 10 Update 3 to Update 11?

Hi friends, We have a Solaris machine running 10 update 3 -bash-3.2# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
brands(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 brands(5)

NAME
brands - alternate operating environments for non-global zones DESCRIPTION
The branded zone (BrandZ) framework extends the Solaris Zones infrastructure described in zones(5) to include the creation of brands, which provide non-global zones that contain non-native operating environments. The term "brand" can refer to a wide range of operating environments. All brand management is performed as extensions to the current zones structure. Every zone is configured with an associated brand. The brand type is used to determine which scripts are executed when a zone is installed and booted. In addition, a zone's brand is used to properly identify the correct application type at application launch time. The default is the native brand. A branded zone will support exactly one brand of non-native binary, which means that a branded zone provides a single operating environ- ment. Once a zone has been assigned a brand, that brand cannot be changed or removed. BrandZ extends the zones tools in the following ways: o A brand is an attribute of a zone, set at zone create time. o The zonecfg tool (see zonecfg(1M)) is used to set a zone's brand type and configure the zone. o The zoneadm tool (see zoneadm(1M)) is used to report a zone's brand type and administer the zone. Device Support The devices supported by each zone are documented in the man pages and other documentation for that brand. The zones infrastructure detects any attempt to add an unsupported device and issues a warning to the administrator. If the administrator chooses to add an unsupported device despite that warning, that device might or might not work as expected. The configuration will be untested and unsupported. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWzoneu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), zlogin(1), zonename(1), dtrace(1M), in.rlogind(1M), sshd(1M), zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), kill(2), priocntl(2), getzoneid(3C), ucred_get(3C), getzoneid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5), lx(5), native(5), privileges(5), zones(5), lx_systrace(7D), crgetzoneid(9F) SunOS 5.11 13 Feb 2009 brands(5)