Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Montioring Script Tomcat catalina.out Post 302981690 by Don Cragun on Saturday 17th of September 2016 02:31:05 PM
Old 09-17-2016
What have you tried to do so solve this problem on your own?

What is the format of the data placed in Catalina.out by tomcat for:
  • an out of memory error,
  • a JDBC exception,
  • a broken pipe,
  • any other errors you want to catch, and
  • any other exceptions you want to catch?

In what directory is Catalina.out located?

Who is the owner and what is the group ID of Cataline.out?

What are the permissions on Cataline.out?

What are the effective and real user and group IDs of the script that will be processing Catalina.out?

Is any data written by tomcat into Catalina.out that you do not want to trigger immediate e-mail?

To whom should this e-mail be sent?

What mail sending utility should be used to send e-mail? (Maybe mail, mailx, or sendmail?)

What text to you want to be included in these e-mails?

What shell are you using?

Is Catalina.out kept open by tomcat on your system during time periods when it is not actively composing a message to be logged?

What is the name of the text file(s) that should be created day to day?

What exactly should be written into the day to day text file(s)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Catalina Analysis

How can I make analysis for catalina.out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Unix script to start remote Tomcat

I have Tomcat installed on a Unix box and I need to start it remotely from another Unix box. Tomcat is started using a script. When this script is run locally everything is fine. When I run the same script from remote box, tomcat starts but the command running the script does not terminate.:( ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrgh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help to fingure out what wrong with my tomcat restarting bash script

Hi, I am a nbee to Unix, I have used following script to check my tomcat is running or not and restart if it down. but actually it restart my tomcat each time running even my tomcat still running fine: Script that can run a check and perform an action if the check fails ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quyennd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for and start the Tomcat using a script

Hello Everyone,. I am a novice with shell scripting and have written some minor shell scripts to copy files and such that. Now I have a requirement to write a shell script to go check if Tomcat running in the same server is up or not, if not then run the Tomcat startup script. Then put this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaire
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring Tomcat Instance using shell script

Hello Forum, I have prepared script to monitor the tomcat status. Following is the script which will monitor tomcat instance.I need little modifcation in the script. My script will grep for java,the output of grep command will analyze by if condition under for loop and will send following echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to debug an expect script running on a tomcat server

Hello everyone, I have a small expect script as follows; #!/usr/bin/expect -f set force_conservative 0 ;# set to 1 to force conservative mode even if ;# script wasn't run conservatively originally if {$force_conservative} { set send_slow {1 .1} proc send {ignore arg}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: randeel
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tomcat automaticaly stop in menu script

i have a problem with the code I created (see below). a. when I logged in as root and su to tomcat, i can execute all options. when I press X, it will exit properly. b. when I logged in directly as user1, I can execute also all options. if I press X i will logout automatically to putty.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Tomcat..Unable to deploy application remotely in tomcat

Hi, We have upgrade tomcat from 5.0.20 to 7.0.33 and made changes to server.xml file according to newer version.. how ever the upgrade went fine and now i am unable to deploy application remotely.. it is giving 403 access denied error.. we have seperate appbase directory mentioned in server.xml..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani4u
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring Tomcat Service with shell script

Hello Forum, I have prepared script to monitor the tomcat status. Following is the script which will monitor tomcat instance. I need little modifcation in the script. My script will grep for process, the output of grep command will analyze by if condition under for loop and will send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script monitor website wth default tomcat script

Hi all, on our application server we have the following script that monitor the status of the website, my problem here is that i have edite the retries from 3 to 5, and the timewait to 120 second, so the script should check 5 times every 2 minutes, and if the fifth check fails it must restart... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)