Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash to move specific files from folders in find file Post 302981648 by greet_sed on Friday 16th of September 2016 12:31:44 PM
Old 09-16-2016
Hi,

Code:
NEWEST=`ls -tr1d "${MY_DIR}/"*.${FILEEXT} 2>/dev/null | tail -1`

Above code is not doing what you explained in your post.

You need to read line by line in out.txt file then find / list the files with *.bam extension , copy etc.

It may be done in oneliner , if you can add more description about structure of Folder1,Folder2 and /home/cmccabe/nfs/exportedReports with clear example.

if not, try like this:
Code:
cat out.txt
DIR1
DIR2
$ ls -a DIR1/
.  ..  123.bam  abc.bam  xyz.log
$ ls -a DIR2/
.  ..  cool.txt  me.bam

Sample code written here to update your script.

Code:
a=/home/cmccabe/nfs/exportedReports;DEST="/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/$DATE";
while read line; do find $a/$line -name "*.bam" -exec cp {} $DEST \;
done < out.txt 
$ ls -a $DEST
.  ..  123.bam  abc.bam  me.bam

Last edited by greet_sed; 09-16-2016 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Add sample code
This User Gave Thanks to greet_sed For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move folders containing certain files

Hello, How can I move just the folders that contains files modified n days ago? Source tree: |-- SourceFolder | |-- Subfolder1 | | |-- file1.dat | | `-- file2.dat | |-- Subfolder2 | | |-- filea.dat | | `-- fileb.dat Destination tree: |-- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files to Folders

Hi Friends, Below is my requirement and i am not clear how to approach this issue in unix programming. I have a folder with 2500 files. The files are in below format. 1234_name1.txt 1234_name123.txt 4567_name1.txt 4567_name123.txt and i need a program which will read each file from this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file that matches today's date in filename and move to /tmp in bash

I'm having problems with my bash script. I would like to find a file matching today's date in the filename, i.e. my_file_20120902.txt and then move it to a different directory, i.e. /tmp. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a word and move it a specific location in xml file using perl?

Hi friends, I have one XML file having below structure :- INput XML file :- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <START> <A=value1> <attr name1="a1"> </A> <B=value2> <attr name2="b1"> <attr name3="c1"> </B> </START> output xml file should be === (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to download specific files and save in two folders

I am trying to download all files from a user authentication, password protected https site, with a particular extension (.bam). The files are ~20GB each and I am not sure if the below is the best way to do it. I am also not sure how to direct the downloaded files to a folder as well as external... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move specific folders and subfolders in a directory

I am trying to move specific folders and subfolders within a directory using the below. I can see the folders to move and they are at the location, but I am getting an error. Thank you :). mv -v /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/6-10-2016{bam/{validation,coverage},bedtools /media/cmccabe/"My... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move multiple files 4rm Source to different target folders based on a series num in the file content

Dear Experts my scenario is as follows... I have one source folder "Source" and 2 target folders "Target_123456" & "Target_789101". I have 2 series of files. 123456 series and 789101 series. Each series has got 3 types of fiels "Debit", "Refund", "Claims". All files are getting... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i move folders and its content if folder is older than 1,5 days and keep subdirs in bash?

Hello all, do you know any way i can i move folders and its content if folder is older than 1,5 days in bash? I tried: find /home/xyz/DATA/* -type d -ctime +1.5 -exec mv "{}" /home/xyz/move_data_here/ \;All i got was that Files from DATA /home/xyz/DATA/* ended messed up in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find files in specific folders

Hi Team, I am new to the linux commands and I really need help . I would be really thankful if I can get some inputs. I have below folders in the path "/home/temp" 20170428 20170427 20170429 changes tempI need to get the files generated in the last 15 mins in all the above folders... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackJinu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to move specific files to directory based on match to file

I am trying to mv each of the .vcf files in the variants folder to the folder in /home/cmccabe/f2 that the .vcf id is found in file. $2 in file will always have the id of a .vcf in the variants folder. The line in blue staring with R_2019 in file up to the -v5.6 will always be an exact match to a... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux