Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to select lines randomly without replacement in UNIX? Post 302981466 by Corona688 on Tuesday 13th of September 2016 12:50:12 PM
Old 09-13-2016
The linux shuf utility can select random lines without repeats. Run it once and read three lines at a time from it in a loop.

Code:
shuf < inputfile | while read LINE1 && read LINE2 && read LINE3
do
done

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to select a value randomly

on my desktop i am using the kde rotating desktop image option. this rotates images randomly every half hour. now, i would like to write an html file which will have an inline frame with some text, maybe system messages, or my friends live journal thati read alot, or unix.com! however, i dont want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to select lines in unix matches a pattern at a particular position

I have huge file. I want to copy the lines which have first character as 2 or 7, and also which has fist two characters as 90. I need only these records from file. How I can acheive this. Can somebody help me..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_banda
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines in which column have value greater than some percent of total file lines

i have a file in following format 1 32 3 4 6 4 4 45 1 45 4 61 54 66 4 5 65 51 56 65 1 12 32 85 now here the total number of lines are 8(they vary each time) Now i want to select only those lines in which the values... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select/delete some lines in shell?

I need to delete half(approx) the file or select half the file by existence of some character My file looks like 1 2 3 4 . . . 50 . . 100I need to select only 50 to rest of the file or needs to delete the file upto 50. Please help me out.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SujeethP
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

select the lines in between some time span

Hi Everyone ! i want to take all the lines from a file that falls in between some date... and every line in a file has a time stamp.. ---some text---- 01/Jan/2010 ---- some other text ---- ---some text---- 10/Jan/2010 ---- some other text ---- ---some text---- 20/Dec/2010 ---- some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_newbie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get 20% of lines in File randomly

Hello, This is my code: nb_lignes=`wc -l $1 | cut -d " " -f1` for i in $(seq $nb_lignes) do m=`head $1 -n $i | tail -1` //command done Please how can i change it to get Get 20% of lines in File randomly to apply "command" on each line ? 20% or 40% or 60 % (it's a parameter) Thank you. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to randomly select lines from a text file

I have a text file with 1000 lines, I want to randomly select 200 lines from it and print them as output. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines where at least x columns above threshold value

I have a file with 20 columns. I'd like to retain only the lines for which the values in at least x columns, looking only at columns 6-20, are above a threshold. For example, I'd like to retain only the lines in the file below that have at least 8 columns (again, looking only at columns 6-20)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate select lines from multiple files

I have about 6000 files of the following format (three simplified examples shown; actual files have variable numbers of columns, but the same number of lines). I would like to concatenate the ID (*Loc*) and data lines, but not the others, as shown below. The result would be one large file (or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomly create time in UNIX

Hey, How can i create randomly create time N times. Suppose i want to create data for a particualr date 5 times... Mon Jan 19 11:42:50 Mon Jan 19 19:16:40 Mon Jan 19 12:12:33 Mon Jan 19 14:26:27 Mon Jan 19 12:29:53 Mon Jan 19 13:30:31 I want the script to create N times randome... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
2 Replies
SHUF(1) 							   User Commands							   SHUF(1)

NAME
shuf - generate random permutations SYNOPSIS
shuf [OPTION]... [FILE] shuf -e [OPTION]... [ARG]... shuf -i LO-HI [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Write a random permutation of the input lines to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -e, --echo treat each ARG as an input line -i, --input-range=LO-HI treat each number LO through HI as an input line -n, --head-count=COUNT output at most COUNT lines -o, --output=FILE write result to FILE instead of standard output --random-source=FILE get random bytes from FILE -r, --repeat output lines can be repeated -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report shuf translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/shuf> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) shuf invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 SHUF(1)