Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting SSH Output From Remote to Local Session? Post 302981380 by Don Cragun on Sunday 11th of September 2016 09:12:27 PM
Old 09-11-2016
The single line shell script you have shown us:
Code:
#! /bin/bash  ssh -t -t $tar_host & <<EOF  sleep 2 echo "On host03" EOF  echo "worked?" exit 0

makes absolutely no sense.

I will assume that there are some <newline> characters in that script that have been lost in some copy and paste activities. Please show us the actual script (with the line breaks) AND tell us:
  1. what operating system you're using on host01 and the various VMs,
  2. what is the name of your script,
  3. exactly how your script is invoked, and
  4. how the tar_host variable is assigned a value for use in your script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mac 10.4>terminal>linux remote server>ssh login accepted>session closed-why?

mac 10.4>terminal>linux remote server>ssh login accepted>session closed-why? AHHHH!! I have been connecting to the server with the line: ssh userid@website.com The remote server accepts my password; logs me in with ssh; posts a lovely welcome message AND closes the session. Is this a "term... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xprankard
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help - getting the output of remote script to local server.

Hi, I have a script that runs for an hour. Have to run it on remote server and need the output it produces on the remote server to decide for failure or success. I run it through a Autosys Job which logs the outputs, both 1 & 2. I use the commands 1) rsh <SERVER> 'nohup /tmp/xyz.ksh &' 2)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
5 Replies

3. Solaris

How to reconnect to a disconnected remote ssh session

hi all How to reconnect to a disconnected remote ssh session on solaris 10 is there any way (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
4 Replies

4. Linux

Create VNC Session on remote machine on which ssh access is denied

Hi Folks, I want to create VNC session on the Remote RHEL machine on which ssh access is denied. Is there any way so that I can create VNC session without ssh access. Let me know all possible ways! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gydave
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh sending local variable to remote system

I am running a useradd script, which works locally but I want to take some of that local information and send it to a remote system, ssh keys are set up between the two systems. I am attaching the script, look at the section titled "Sending information to FTP2" Removed attachment, added... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare local & remote Files over ssh?

I want to make a script to compare list of files in terms of its size on local & remote server whose names are same & this is required over ssh. How can I accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect to remote SSH and write to a local file

Hi Guys, So what I am trying to do is : Host A should do a SSH to Host B to F. Login to the remote host and gather the output of uptime and write to to a file in HostA. So by the end of the script, HostA should contain a file that contains the uptime output of Host B,C,D,E,F. Right now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

8. AIX

Need to remote control client's ssh session

Is there a way that I can remotely control a user's ssh session so I can see what they are doing and walk them through the problem they are having on my AIX based application? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: De@nneG
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to ssh and list files in local directory from remote.

#!/bin/bash script_work_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_work_area" script_config_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_config" dpi_sourceServerList=$script_config_dir"/dpi_sourceServerList" dpi_srvr_42="rtm@1.1.1.1"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep remote multiple hosts output to local server

Hello all, i'm trying to create a report by greping a pattern on multiple remote hosts and creta a simple report, actually i did this, is ther any better way to do this. #!/bin/bash for host in `cat RemoteHosts` do ssh $host -C 'hostname 2>&1; grep ERROR /var/log/WebServer.log.2019-09-21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)