Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting SSH Output From Remote to Local Session? Post 302981379 by Lost in Cyberia on Sunday 11th of September 2016 08:41:44 PM
Old 09-11-2016
Getting SSH Output From Remote to Local Session?

Hi everyone, after about 2 days of scratching my head on this one, I'm finally ready to punt this and ask for some actual help. Here's the situation. We have 1 server, that runs multiple VM's. To gain access to those VM's we ssh from host01 to the other vm hosts. For example when we first log into the machine, we're always on host01. Then from there we can ssh to host02, host03 etc... What I'd like to do is log into host01 as per normal, and have a script that ssh's to host03, runs a few commands on host03, but puts the output of those commands onto the tty of the screen of host01. The script I have looks like this:
Code:
#! /bin/bash  ssh -t -t $tar_host & <<EOF  sleep 2 echo "On host03" EOF  echo "worked?" exit 0

What this does is basically logs me onto host03, successfully, but there's no output from the echo "On host03" obviously.
What I would want is to be able to ssh onto host03, run a list of commands in the EOF here document list, but have all of the output from those commands make it's way back to my host01 tty..
Is something like this possible? Assuming that authentication to the ssh session isn't an issue (shared keys). Would I need to open up a separate tty session? I've seen a lot of recommendations about playing around with /dev/tty and /dev/pts/ etc.. but nothing concrete so far..
Thank guys, any help is appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mac 10.4>terminal>linux remote server>ssh login accepted>session closed-why?

mac 10.4>terminal>linux remote server>ssh login accepted>session closed-why? AHHHH!! I have been connecting to the server with the line: ssh userid@website.com The remote server accepts my password; logs me in with ssh; posts a lovely welcome message AND closes the session. Is this a "term... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xprankard
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help - getting the output of remote script to local server.

Hi, I have a script that runs for an hour. Have to run it on remote server and need the output it produces on the remote server to decide for failure or success. I run it through a Autosys Job which logs the outputs, both 1 & 2. I use the commands 1) rsh <SERVER> 'nohup /tmp/xyz.ksh &' 2)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
5 Replies

3. Solaris

How to reconnect to a disconnected remote ssh session

hi all How to reconnect to a disconnected remote ssh session on solaris 10 is there any way (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
4 Replies

4. Linux

Create VNC Session on remote machine on which ssh access is denied

Hi Folks, I want to create VNC session on the Remote RHEL machine on which ssh access is denied. Is there any way so that I can create VNC session without ssh access. Let me know all possible ways! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gydave
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh sending local variable to remote system

I am running a useradd script, which works locally but I want to take some of that local information and send it to a remote system, ssh keys are set up between the two systems. I am attaching the script, look at the section titled "Sending information to FTP2" Removed attachment, added... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare local & remote Files over ssh?

I want to make a script to compare list of files in terms of its size on local & remote server whose names are same & this is required over ssh. How can I accomplish this. Any help would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect to remote SSH and write to a local file

Hi Guys, So what I am trying to do is : Host A should do a SSH to Host B to F. Login to the remote host and gather the output of uptime and write to to a file in HostA. So by the end of the script, HostA should contain a file that contains the uptime output of Host B,C,D,E,F. Right now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

8. AIX

Need to remote control client's ssh session

Is there a way that I can remotely control a user's ssh session so I can see what they are doing and walk them through the problem they are having on my AIX based application? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: De@nneG
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to ssh and list files in local directory from remote.

#!/bin/bash script_work_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_work_area" script_config_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_config" dpi_sourceServerList=$script_config_dir"/dpi_sourceServerList" dpi_srvr_42="rtm@1.1.1.1"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep remote multiple hosts output to local server

Hello all, i'm trying to create a report by greping a pattern on multiple remote hosts and creta a simple report, actually i did this, is ther any better way to do this. #!/bin/bash for host in `cat RemoteHosts` do ssh $host -C 'hostname 2>&1; grep ERROR /var/log/WebServer.log.2019-09-21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
0 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)