Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can you use find with ps or doing find excluding file in use Post 302981289 by MadeInGermany on Friday 9th of September 2016 11:59:42 AM
Old 09-09-2016
A bit safer and simpler is
Code:
if cd ${directory}; then
  find . ! -name . -prune -type f -name "*.trc" -mtime +10 -atime +5 | sed "s#^\.#${directory}#" | tee -a /tmp/rm_list_trc.txt
  find . ! -name . -prune -type f -name "*.trm" -mtime +10 -atime +5 | sed "s#^\.#${directory}#" | tee -a /tmp/rm_list_trm.txt
else
  : "cd failed, we better don't delete anything"
fi

---------- Post updated at 10:59 ---------- Previous update was at 10:29 ----------

A solution with fuser, slow but reliable:
Code:
if cd "$directory"
then
  find . ! -name . -prune -type f \( -name "*.trc" -o -name "*.trm" \) -mtime +10 -atime +5 |
  while IFS=  read -r fn
  do
    if fuser "$fn" >/dev/null 2>&1
    then
      echo "'$fn' is in use, not deleted."
    else
      case $fn in
      *.trc) printf "%s\n" "$fn" >&3;;
      *.trm) printf "%s\n" "$fn" >&4;;
      esac
    fi
  done 3>>/tmp/rm_list_trc.txt 4>>/tmp/rm_list_trm.txt
else
  echo "cd '$directory' failed, nothing deleted."
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find excluding the hidden files

Hi , I am trying to use the find command with delete in a directory . Even though i use a wil character search the find command is checking the hidden files which inturn results in error . Can i avoid look that into the hidden files ?? I am using HP unix . find /cv1/ -name "ite*"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find excluding a directory and a file

Hi I have some 5 folders and two files in the current directory. I want to delete all, expect one folder(files in the folder too should not be deleted) and a file in the current directory. Lets say the folder and file that should not be deleted as 'a'(folder name) and 'b'(file name). Can you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Excluding directories with find

How do I exclude directories with the find command on Solaris? I want to skip the directories /proc and /shared. find / -nouser -print This shows me all files and directories that don't have an owner but I need to skip /shared and /proc. I've been able to get it to work on Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
3 Replies

4. Solaris

how to find out the file's name excluding string?

Hello, Under one directory, I can use below command to find out the file names with string "Export terminated successfully without warnings" grep -i -l "Export terminated successfully without warnings" *.* My question is : how I find out the file names without including string "Export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreatJerry
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in excluding a particular directory using Find commad

Hi, I have a directory structure as below /home/gad/Merl/a/a1.txt /home/gad/Merl/b/a1.txt /home/gad/Merl/c/a1.txt How can I find the file a1.txt but not from directory 'a' and it(the filw) should loaded 6 days ago.. Can any one pls help,quick reply much appriciated.. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files for a user, excluding a directory

I have been searching, and cannot find an answer for this. I am trying to find all files for a user, lets call him (test001), and I want to exclude a specific directory. Here is the command I run, it finds all files: find / -user test001 I get this result: > find / -user test001 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2x4
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excluding directories from a find

I've looked at a few similar threads, but I can't bridge from those examples to what I'm working on, so I'm hoping someone can help. I want to extend the following statement find $PathToCheck -type f \( -not -iwholename "$ScriptDir/*" \) -exec md5sum "{}" \;>$NewSigs to exclude several... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command excluding directories and some files

hello. I try to print a list of files but excluding some directories and some files. I would like to write a command for : find "from_dir" "ignore dir1, dir2, ..." "ignore file1, file2,...." "where file are older than 2017-02-03T06:00:00" Note that "DO_IT" is a local function in the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find file with extension and excluding directory

Hi, I have an inquiry on how do I use the find command in Solaris Unix to find some file ends with extension : txt, err in the root directory with modified date of 30days and this find command will also need to exclude b directory and its subdirectory. All the files from the above find criteria... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowfrost88
5 Replies
TOUCH(3)								 1								  TOUCH(3)

touch - Sets access and modification time of file

SYNOPSIS
bool touch (string $filename, [int $time = time()], [int $atime]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to set the access and modification times of the file named in the $filename parameter to the value given in $time. Note that the access time is always modified, regardless of the number of parameters. If the file does not exist, it will be created. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The name of the file being touched. o $time - The touch time. If $time is not supplied, the current system time is used. o $atime - If present, the access time of the given filename is set to the value of $atime. Otherwise, it is set to the value passed to the $time parameter. If neither are present, the current system time is used. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | It became possible to change the modification | | | time of a directory under Windows. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 touch(3) example <?php if (touch($filename)) { echo $filename . ' modification time has been changed to present time'; } else { echo 'Sorry, could not change modification time of ' . $filename; } ?> Example #2 touch(3) using the $time parameter <?php // This is the touch time, we'll set it to one hour in the past. $time = time() - 3600; // Touch the file if (!touch('some_file.txt', $time)) { echo 'Whoops, something went wrong...'; } else { echo 'Touched file with success'; } ?> NOTES
Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Warning Prior to PHP 5.3.0 it was not possible to change the modification time of a directory with this function under Windows. PHP Documentation Group TOUCH(3)