Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting DB Password encryption in config file Post 302981288 by Corona688 on Friday 9th of September 2016 11:24:37 AM
Old 09-09-2016
This is an extremely common question but always has the same inescapable conclusion.

If your database can decrypt it at will without secrets -- so can anyone else.

Yes, but --

Encryption does not work that way.

But what if --

Maybe if it --

To prevent people from reading your passwords, chmod.

To prevent people getting access to something which reads the passwords, sudo.

To prevent root from getting at it... You're out of luck.

This question fools everyone eventually... I spent a long while earlier this year down a rabbithole trying to find a way to make arbitrary apache suexec secure, until I realized I was fighting what amounts to the same problem -- how to prove identity to the computer without using secrets.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping with password or encryption

We currently take files (via FTP) off of a mainframe and save them as a text file on our server. This is done via a script. The next thing that is done to that text file is it gets zipped (using ZIP). This all works fine, but it doesn't appear that ZIP (the free version) has any way to password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
2 Replies

2. AIX

File password protection/encryption

Can it be done? Ive read in a few places that the crypt program no longer exists on AIX...if its do-able please tell me how. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Password Encryption (SunOS 5.8)

Hi all, I have a server in the office that we connect to via telnet. Can anyone explain please how i can encrypt the password so it cannot be picked up in plain text by sniffing software like WireShark, etc.? I'm not very experienced in Unix, so any ideas or even links would be great. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: de049
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password encryption

In unix, i know the password encrypt by using salt But how does it work? And how windows protect its password? Thank you for helping in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cryogen
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password encryption...

Hi, I have a Java app that looks for some parameters in a .properties file such as username and password. However I don't want to leave the password in a text file and I can't modify the app... Does anyone have some idea about how to encrypt/hide/etc the password so it's not freely accessible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password encryption

if I change my password on two different servers, using the same string but the encrypted password in /etc/passwd look different. If I copy an entry from one /etc/password to the other server. I can still log in to both servers using the same password. Only now both /etc/passwd entries are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C0ppert0p
2 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password encryption in RHEL

I am working on a script where we are using sqlplus command to connect to Oracle DB. But the schemaname and password used for sqlplus authentication, have to be hardcoded in the script. DBconnection=scott/tiger@SID sqlplus $DBconnection Here any user who reads the script can read the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: max29583
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Password protected excel file without encryption or zipping

All, I have requirement to send password protected excel file in an email from unix/linux box without zipping it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Durgesh Gupta
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protected excel file without encryption or zipping

All, I have requirement to send password protected excel file in an email from unix/linux box without zipping it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Durgesh Gupta
8 Replies
GSEXEC(8)							  GridSite Manual							 GSEXEC(8)

NAME
gsexec - Switch user before executing external programs SYNOPSIS
gsexec [-V] SUMMARY
gsexec is used by the Apache HTTP Server to switch to another user before executing CGI programs. In order to achieve this, it must run as root. Since the HTTP daemon normally doesn't run as root, the gsexec executable needs the setuid bit set and must be owned by root. It should never be writable for any other person than root. gsexec is based on Apache's suexec, and its behaviour is controlled with the Apache configuration file directives GridSiteExecMethod and GridSiteUserGroup added to Apache by mod_gridsite(8) Four execution methods are supported: nosetuid, suexec, X509DN and directory, and these may be set on a per-directory basis within the Apache configuration file. NOSETUID METHOD
This is the default behaviour, but can also be produced by giving GridSiteExecMethod nosetuid CGI programs will then be executed without using gsexec, and will run as the Unix user given by the User and Group Apache directives (nor- mally apache.apache on Red Hat derived systems.) SUEXEC METHOD
If GridSiteExecMethod suexec is given for this virtual host or directory, then CGI programs will be executed using the user and group given by the GridSiteUserGroup user group directive, which may also be set on a per-directory basis (unlike suexec's SuexecUserGroup which is per-server only.) The CGI program must either be owned by root, the Apache user and group specified at gsexec build-time (normally apache.apache) or by the user and group given with the GridSiteUserGroup directive. X509DN METHOD If GridSiteExecMethod X509DN is given, then the CGI program runs as a pool user, detemined using lock files in the exec mapping directory chosen as build time of gsexec. The pool user is chosen according to the client's full certificate X.509 DN (ie with any trailing GSI proxy name components stripped off.) Subsequent requests by the same X.509 identity will be mapped to the same pool user. The CGI program must either be owned by root, the Apache user and group specified at gsexec build-time (normally apache.apache) or by the pool user selected. DIRECTORY METHOD
If GridSiteExecMethod directory is given, then the CGI program runs as a pool user chosen according to the directory in which the CGI is located: all CGIs in that directory run as the same pool user. The CGI program must either be owned by root, the Apache user and group specified at gsexec build-time (normally apache.apache) or by the pool user selected. EXECMAPDIR
The default exec mapping directory is /var/www/execmapdir and this is fixed when the gsexec executable is built. The exec mapping directory and all of its lock files must be owned and only writable by root. To initialise the lock files, create an empty lock file for each pool user, with the pool username as the filename (eg user0001, user0002, ...) As the pool users are leased to X.509 identities or directories, they will become hard linked to lock files with the URL-encoded X.509 DN or full directory path. You can recycle pool users by removing the corresponding URL-encoded hard link. stat(1) and ls(1) with option -i can be used to print the inodes of lock files to match up the hard links. However, you must ensure that all files and processes owned by the pool user are deleted before recycling! OPTIONS
-V If you are root, this option displays the compile options of gsexec. For security reasons all configuration options are changeable only at compile time. MORE INFORMATION
For further information about the concepts and the security model of the original Apache suexec please refer to the suexec documentation: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/suexec.html For examples using the gsexec extensions, please see the GridSite gsexec page: http://www.gridsite.org/wiki/Gsexec AUTHORS
Apache project, for original suexec Andrew McNab <Andrew.McNab@manchester.ac.uk> for gsexec modifications. gsexec is part of GridSite: http://www.gridsite.org/ SEE ALSO
httpd(8), suexec(8), mod_gridsite(8) gsexec October 2005 GSEXEC(8)