Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if a string starts with certain values and ends with numbers Post 302980771 by deepakwins on Friday 2nd of September 2016 04:00:01 AM
Old 09-02-2016
Sorry sir, my bad, I had a typo in my statement. It perfectly worked.
Thanks for your time RudiC!

Iam still curious for the RegEx option though. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to know entered string ends with .jar

Hi all, I want to know whelther string entered ends with .jar. Can any one help please.. Thank U Naree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing values with increasing numbers!

Hi all, i have a command named "vmchange" and i must use it for thousands of data which must be changed. For example, vmchange -m N0001 vmchange -m N0002 vmchange -m N0003 ... ... vmchange -m N0100 How can i do that in awk or bash script? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable ends in a particular number

Hi guys, I am working on a server where there are many users. The user names end in a 1 or a 2. I want to write a bash script that will say which users are in which group and was wondering if I could get some help. The only part I am unsure of is how to check if it ends in the number. Here's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wua05
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if string starts with $ symbol

How do I check that a string $AA22CC3 starts with the "$" symbol ? I have tried : checksum='$AAB3E45' echo $checksum case $checksum in $* ) echo success ; esac Thanks ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cillmor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a filename in a directory starts with a certain string

Hello, Trying to iterate over set of file in current directory and check if the file name in that folder matches certain string. This is what I have so far. Here I am checking if the file name starts with nexus, if so echo file name to log file. Getting weird syntax errors. Any help is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines to one line when line starts with and ends with

example: comment Now_TB.table column errac is for error messages 1 - first 2 - second 3 -third ; in this example I need to be able to grab the comment as first word and ; as the last word and it might span a few lines. I need it to be put all in one line without line breaks so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wambli
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping a string of numbers between higher and lower order values(HEX)

I have this below string in a variable cutString=21222222222222222122222222222222 this string is nothing but hex values depicted as below 21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22:21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22 so what i want to achieve is swap the lower order with higher order values in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing up values of rows of numbers

data file contains failed=24 error=23 error=163 failed=36 error=903 i need to get a total count of each value above. i'm looking for the most efficient method to do this as the datafile i provided is just a sample. the actual data can be several hundred thousands of lines. so from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string contains substring surrounded by numbers

Hi, I have a process that generates strings. I would like to check each string and search for substring which contains the letter 'E' surrounded by numbers (both sides of the letter 'E'). few examples: AA4E7012A2 - contains E surrounded by numbers FE18274012 - does not contain E... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanive
3 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)