Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Python: Suppress lines not substituted Post 302980704 by zaxxon on Thursday 1st of September 2016 05:19:45 AM
Old 09-01-2016
Thank you, itkamaraj. I had it tried so far with match() and search() and it didn't work.
Now I just noticed why - I used:

Code:
re.match('<partial-pattern>', ...

...where I assumed I can use just a part of a pattern like when you use Linux/Unix grep; this seems not working so I have to use at least something like:

Code:
re.match('.*<partial-pattern>.*', ...

cheers
zaxxon

Last edited by zaxxon; 09-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: clarification, typos

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Suppress last N lines printing

Hi, I want to know different ways of suppressing printing of last N lines. Can anyone help? Thanks, Sree (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chakri400
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Only one particular occurence needs to be substituted !!!

In a file, field separetor in line is irregular number of spaces, so I canot use field in sub function to get my charecter replaced with empty space. I would like to substitute only one perticular charecter with space at perticular posiotn, so I canot use perticular character as that may occur... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaka
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to suppress dd output?

I have to stop the output of dd from writing to terminal. Here is the command: sudo dd if=boot1h of="/dev/r$temp1" Here is the output: 2+0 records in 2+0 records out 1024 bytes transferred in 0.000804 secs (1273715 bytes/sec) I have tried >> log.txt but it doesn't work. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msf5042
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

substituted variable assignment

I try to run this script, however, it gives an exception in line 3. How do I do an assignment to a substituted variable? #!/bin/bash name=fruit ext_$(eval echo ${name})=apple tmp=ext_$(eval echo ${name}) if ]; then echo "apple" elif ]; then echo "orange" fi echo ${!tmp} Error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelokh
2 Replies

5. Programming

Way to print a code with substituted macro..?

Is there any way to produce a code with all use dmacro to be substituted up to 'ready for compilation' condition? Some macro are build up and it is hard to replace all them up to final code by hand. I need to see the final line after all macro been applied by preprocessor. How that could be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tool to suppress lines where value=0

Hello everyone, Here's the problem, I have a list generated by this command; watch -n 5 'iptables -nvL | grep "DROP"' It generates output that looks like this (severely truncated for clarity) Every 5.0s: iptables -nvL | grep "DROP" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: putter1900
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 lines of python

Hi, Please can you tell me what the last two lines in the python code below are doing? data = open('input.txt', 'r').read() # should be simple plain text file chars = list(set(data)) data_size, vocab_size = len(data), len(chars) print 'data has %d characters, %d unique.' % (data_size,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1Brajesh
2 Replies

8. Programming

Create a C source and compile inside Python 1.4.0 to 3.7.0 in Python for ALL? platforms...

Hi all... As you know I like making code backwards compatible for as many platforms as possible. This Python script was in fact dedicated for the AMIGA A1200 using Pythons 1.4.0, 1.5.2, 1.6.0, 2.0.1, and 2.4.6 as that is all we have for varying levels of upgrades from a HDD and 4MB FastRam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)