Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete 'duplicated' column values and make a delimited file too? Post 302980697 by RudiC on Thursday 1st of September 2016 03:23:46 AM
Old 09-01-2016
Brilliant!
To save a few CPU cycles, the assignment of a constant to q could be done in a BEGIN section. Wouldn't anchoring p to the begin-of-line reduce the regex vulnerability?

Please be aware that - should a page break repeat the header and underline line - these two would be pruned as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first column in tab-delimited text-file

I have a large text-file with tab-delimited genetic data that looks like: KSC112 KSC234 0 0 1 1 A G C T I simply wan to delete the first column, but since the file has 600 000 columns, it is not possible with awk (seems to be limited at 32k columns). Does anyone have an idea how to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number?

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number? Letś say the row number is r and the column number is c. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting rows from a space delimited text file based on the values of a column

I have a space delimited text file. I want to extract rows where the third column has 0 as a value and write those rows into a new space delimited text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete an entire column from a tab delimited file

Hi, Can anyone please tell me about how we can delete an entire column from a tab delimited file? Mu input_file.txt looks like this: And I want the output as: I used the below code nawk -v d="1" 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{$d=""}{print}' input_file.txtBut in the output, the first column is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort csv file by duplicated column value

hello, I have a large file (about 1gb) that is in a file similar to the following: I want to make it so that I can put all the duplicates where column 3 (delimited by the commas) are shown on top. Meaning all people with the same age are listed at the top. The command I used was ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to append suffix to column when column has duplicated values

Please help me to get required output for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 and need separate code for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 Scenario 1 i need to do below changes only when column1 is CR and column3 has duplicates rows/values. This inputfile can contain 100 of this duplicated rows of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)