Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters Post 302980631 by RudiC on Wednesday 31st of August 2016 03:22:30 AM
Old 08-31-2016
That is a complex specification to read (and understand). If I did - which I don't dare to assert - a solution to replace "extended" characters with "nomal" ones would be
Code:
echo "\"#$%&0@ABab£¥§©ほぼぽま~अ" | LC_ALL=C sed 'p; s/[\xe0-\xef]../X/g; s/[\xc0-\xcf]./Y/g'
"#$%&0@ABab£¥§©ほぼぽま~अ
"#$%&0@ABabYYYYXXXX~X

Here the characters in question are replaced by X or Y, depending on their representation in UTF-8 - replace them by what you want, e.g. spaces or nothing. If you want to translate to EUR, do so BEFORE those substitutions above, but be aware that then your "fixed length" will be lost.

Last edited by RudiC; 08-31-2016 at 04:55 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Howto convert Ascii -> UTF-8 & back C++

While working with russian text under FreeBSD&MySQL I need to convert a string from MySQL to the Unicode format. I've just started my way in C++ under FreeBSD , so please explain me how can I get ascii code of Char variable and also how can i get a character into variable with the specified ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macron
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace UTF-8 characters with tr

Hi, I try to get tr to replace multibytes characters by ascii equivalent. For example "Je vais à l'école" ---> 'Je vais a l'ecole" But my version of tr (5.97) doesn't seem to support multibyte sets. $ locale charmap; echo "Je vais à l'école" | tr éà ea UTF-8 Je vais aa l'aacole I try to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters other than ISO8859-1

Hi please help in writing a script for replacing all the non-iso8859-1 characters to question marks. I need a pattern of this kind "sed s/<non-iso char range>/?/g < ipfile > opfile" Please help me in this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprajendran
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

8. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters

We are getting extended Ascii characters in the input file and my requirement is to search and replace them with a space. I am using the following command LANG=C sed -e 's// /g' It is doing a good job, but in some cases it is replacing the extended characters with two spaces. So my input... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in refs/replace/ namespace. The name of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist. Replacement references will be used by default by all Git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-REPLACE(1)