Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Perl subroutine returning different values in HPUX Post 302980543 by Jcpratap on Tuesday 30th of August 2016 04:09:23 AM
Old 08-30-2016
Perl subroutine returning different values in HPUX

HI ,
I am running a program on hpux in perl.
I am encountering a strange issue where when i print a variable in the sub which is returning it , it prints a different value but when i call it and store value in a variable it gives a different o/p.

the sub is

Code:
sub CheckConfigFilePattern 
{ 
local($FILE) = @_; 
$intLineCount = 1; 
$intSendOpcmon = 0; 
$intCorrectFormat = 0; 

open(CONFFILEHDR, "< $FILE") or die "$!"; 
foreach $strLine (<CONFFILEHDR>) 
{ 
$strLine = trim($strLine); 
if( length($strLine) != 0) 
{ 
print "##############################\n"; 
print "$strLine \n"; 
print "step 0 \n"; 
if( $strLine !~ m/(^#)|(^\s*(\/|\d+)\s+(\/|\d+)\s+(\/|\d+)\s+(\/|\d+)$)/ ) 
{ 
OpcMsg("OS","minor","ConfigFileError","Error in Config File $FILE : Line No. $intLineCount, Text - $strLine","OpC"); 
$intSendOpcmon = 1; 
print "step 1 \n"; 
} 
if ( $strLine =~ m/(^\s*(\/|\d+)\s+(\/|\d+)\s+(\/|\d+)\s+(\/|\d+)$)/ ) 
{ 
$intCorrectFormat = $intCorrectFormat + 1; 
print "step 2 \n"; 
} 
} 
$intLineCount = $intLineCount + 1; 
} 
close CONFFILEHDR; 
if ( $intCorrectFormat != 1 ) 
{ 
OpcMsg("OS","minor","ConfigFileError","Error in Config File $FILE","OpC"); 
$intSendOpcmon = 1; 
print "step 3 \n"; 
} 
print "1st intSendOpcmon: $intSendOpcmon \n"; 

return $intSendOpcmon; 
}

I am printing intSendOpcmon before retruning it inside sub.

Now I am calling it ,

Code:
$intSendOpcmon = CheckConfigFilePattern($CONFFILE); 
if ( $intSendOpcmon = 1) 
{ 
print "2nd intSendOpcmon:$intSendOpcmon \n"; 
exit 0; 
}

But I am getting different values of retruned variable

Code:
#"./cHmem_util.pl" 1 
1st intSendOpcmon: 0 
2nd intSendOpcmon:1

Please check why function is returning different values inside and outside
Code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a perl subroutine regex

Hi, I can't get this script ot work and I wa wondering if anyone could help? I need to open a file and use a subroutine to search each line for a regular expression. If it matches then I need to return a match from the subroutine and print the result? Any help would be greatly... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmd2004
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling perl subroutine from perl expect module

All, Is it possible to call a subroutine from the perl expect module after logging to a system that is within the same program. My situation is I need to run a logic inside a machine that I'm logging in using the expect module, the logic is also available in the same expect program. Thanks,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why Perl Subroutine Passed In Variable is 1?

The following subroutine prints 1 instead of the content of the Equipment variable. Can someone tell me why? #!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe # use strict 'vars'; my $Equipments = "data/equips.txt"; unless (open(EQUIP_FH, "$Equipments")) { print "errors: $Equipments\n"; # This line prints... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tqlam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling perl subroutine from shell script (sh)

Hi, ive a perl script, where it has a subroutine clear() in it, and i've one shell script which runs in background, from that shell script i wanted to call subroutine which is in perl script, that's perl script is not module, just simple script. Eg: perl script <test> #!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asarunkumar
4 Replies

5. Programming

perl: Subroutine question

Hi everyone, I have given up finally trying to find a way to do this. I have a subroutine called LoginFirst where I am starting a new SSH session. I have bunch of subroutines, each one of them uses a (or I have to create a new SSH constructor everytime) ssh connection to get some value so ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_code
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop returning more values

Hi All, Thanks all of you for the help you provide to me. Well, I have one more problem, where I am trying to pull file system information in the loop and display the filesystem percentege. I am using following code to achive this, nut it's giving the weired output. My file system is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass file to subroutine

Hello All, I have 2 perl sub-routines. my $myDir = myDir_path; my $file; sub convert(){ system ("./$myConvertScript >> $myDir/$file_CONV" ); $file2 = $myDir/$file_CONV; } sub addDB(){ open(CONF, $config) or die "Cannot Open $config for reading. "; while(<CONF>){... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ad23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - return an object from subroutine - Net::LDAP

Hi all, I'm not even sure a person can do this in perl, seems like you should be able to though. Here's the error IO::Socket::INET: connect: Operation now in progress at server_search.pl line 256, <DATA> line 466. Here's the perl code... sub ldap_new{ $nl = Net::LDAP->new( "$_" ) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtollefson
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem saving return value of subroutine in perl

Hi all, I have this code #This program read the triplets from file named "data" into #an array of array. use strict; use warnings; use Data::Dumper; use Graph; use Graph::Subgraph; my @S; while (<>) { push @S, ; } print "-----TRIPLETS-------\n"; print Dumper \@S; #Make... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushadrena
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl -Calling the Subroutine Only if the condition is met

Hello All, I am in the process of learning perl.I have a perl script and based on the arguments passed it would the appropriate subroutine that is defined in the script. Now, I need to check a value that is defined in the Environment variables and should call the subroutine only if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filter
1 Replies
Async::MergePoint(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Async::MergePoint(3pm)

NAME
"Async::MergePoint" - resynchronise diverged control flow SYNOPSIS
use Async::MergePoint; my $merge = Async::MergePoint->new( needs => [ "leaves", "water" ], ); my $water; Kettle->boil( on_boiled => sub { $water = shift; $merge->done( "water" ); } ); my $tea_leaves; Cupboard->get_tea_leaves( on_fetched => sub { $tea_leaves = shift; $merge->done( "leaves" ); } ); $merge->close( on_finished => sub { # Make tea using $water and $tea_leaves } ); DESCRIPTION
Often in program logic, multiple different steps need to be taken that are independent of each other, but their total result is needed before the next step can be taken. In synchonous code, the usual approach is to do them sequentially. An asynchronous or event-based program could do this, but if each step involves some IO idle time, better overall performance can often be gained by running the steps in parallel. A "Async::MergePoint" object can then be used to wait for all of the steps to complete, before passing the combined result of each step on to the next stage. A merge point maintains a set of outstanding operations it is waiting on; these are arbitrary string values provided at the object's construction. Each time the "done()" method is called, the named item is marked as being complete. When all of the required items are so marked, the "on_finished" continuation is invoked. For use cases where code may be split across several different lexical scopes, it may not be convenient or possible to share a lexical variable, to pass on the result of some asynchronous operation. In these cases, when an item is marked as complete a value can also be provided which contains the results of that step. The "on_finished" callback is passed a hash (in list form, rather than by reference) of the collected item values. This module was originally part of the IO::Async distribution, but was removed under the inspiration of Pedro Melo's Async::Hooks distribution, because it doesn't itself contain anything IO-specific. CONSTRUCTOR
$merge = Async::MergePoint->new( %params ) This function returns a new instance of a "Async::MergePoint" object. The %params hash takes the following keys: needs => ARRAY Optional. An array containing unique item names to wait on. The order of this array is not significant. on_finished => CODE Optional. CODE reference to the continuation for when the merge point becomes ready. If provided, will be passed to the "close" method. METHODS
$merge->close( %params ) Allows an "on_finished" continuation to be set if one was not provided to the constructor. on_finished => CODE CODE reference to the continuation for when the merge point becomes ready. The "on_finished" continuation will be called when every key in the "needs" list has been notified by the "done()" method. It will be called as $on_finished->( %items ) where the %items hash will contain the item names that were waited on, and the values passed to the "done()" method for each one. Note that this is passed as a list, not as a HASH reference. While this feature can be used to pass data from the component parts back up into the continuation, it may be more direct to use normal lexical variables instead. This method allows the continuation to be placed after the blocks of code that execute the component parts, so it reads downwards, and may make it more readable. $merge->needs( @keys ) When called on an open MergePoint (i.e. one that does not yet have an "on_finished" continuation), this method adds extra key names to the set of outstanding names. The order of this list is not significant. This method throws an exception if the MergePoint is already closed. $merge->done( $item, $value ) This method informs the merge point that the $item is now ready, and passes it a value to store, to be passed into the "on_finished" continuation. If this call gives the final remaining item being waited for, the "on_finished" continuation is called within it, and the method will not return until it has completed. EXAMPLES
Asynchronous Plugins Consider a program using "Module::Pluggable" to provide a plugin architecture to respond to events, where sometimes the response to an event may require asynchronous work. A "MergePoint" object can be used to coordinate the responses from the plugins to this event. my $merge = Async::MergePoint->new(); foreach my $plugin ( $self->plugins ) { $plugin->handle_event( "event", $merge, @args ); } $merge->close( on_finished => sub { my %results = @_; print "All plugins have recognised $event "; } ); Each plugin that wishes to handle the event can use its own package name, for example, as its unique key name for the MergePoint. A plugin handling the event synchonously could perform something such as: sub handle_event { my ( $event, $merge, @args ) = @_; .... $merge->needs( __PACKAGE__ ); $merge->done( __PACKAGE__ => $result ); } Whereas, to handle the event asynchronously the plugin can instead perform: sub handle_event { my ( $event, $merge, @args ) = @_; .... $merge->needs( __PACKAGE__ ); sometime_later( sub { $merge->done( __PACKAGE__ => $result ); } ); } AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-10 Async::MergePoint(3pm)