Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Python GNU parallel single command on multiple cores Post 302980501 by jacobs.smith on Monday 29th of August 2016 10:46:09 AM
Old 08-29-2016
Python GNU parallel single command on multiple cores

Hello,

I have a 4 core machine.

Here is my initial script

Code:
cd /work/
python script.py input.txt output.txt 1 2 3

This script runs for 1.5hrs.

So I read across the web and figured out that you can use GNU parallel to submit multiple jobs using parallel. But I am not sure if I can run single command on multiple processors. Still, I went ahead and used the following command

Code:
cd /work/
parallel python script.py input.txt output.txt 1 2 3

Here is the error

Code:
parallel: Warning: Input is read from the terminal. Only experts do this on purpose. Press CTRL-D to exit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename multiple files with a single command

Hi I have following list of files at a path: 01.AR.asset 01.AR.index 01.AR.asset.vf 01.AR.asset.xv I want to rename all these files as follows: 73.AR.asset.Z 73.AR.index.Z 73.AR.asset.vf.Z 73.AR.asset.xv.Z Can any body give me a single command to acheive the above results. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple command in single command?

Dear Unix Guru, I have several directories as below /home/user/ dir1 dir2 dir3 Each directory has different size. I want to print each directory size (Solaris command du -hs .) Can you please guide me how to achieve this? Thanks Bala (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple pipes toward a single awk command

Hello, I would like to pipe two variables into awk, but I don't know how to do. Each variable, "a" and "b", are in fact a list of data. They are not files. So to get awk to work with it I am using: echo $a | awk 'FNR==NR{print $1}FNR!=NR{print $4}' The above works, but when I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to make bash [or another shell] use all CPU cores to execute a single script?

I wrote a very simple script that matches combinations of alphabetic characters (1-5). I want to use it to test CPU speeds of different hardware/platforms. The problem is that on multi-core/processor systems, only one CPU is being utilized to execute the script. Is there a way to change that?... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out multiple files with a single command?

I have a log directory: /logs/foo.log /logs/bar.log /logs/err.out I'm trying to find a way to > /logs/*.log > /logs/*.out to blank them out, but of course, that doesn't work. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gnu parallel and awk syntax quotes

I have many files that has the following structure. CHR SNP BP A1 TEST NMISS OR SE L95 U95 STAT P 1 rs2980319 766985 A ADD 4948 1.068 0.08356 0.9065 1.258 0.7853 0.4323 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple command in a single line?

Normally i would do this- cd abc ls -ltr I wish to run above command in a single line, like this- cd abc | ls -ltr But above command doesn't works, it simply runs the second command, ignoring the 1st one. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sftp multiple files in single command

Hi All, I would like to sftp 2 files with a single command. I tried the below options, sftp suer@test13:"/u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh /u01/home/oracle/.profile" ./ But what actually happens is Fetching /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh to /u01/home/oracle/.profile /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid2013
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get count of multiple word in single command

Hello Experts, I have a log file that contains 4 different type of exception : 1- Exception 2- Fatal 3- Error 4- Exec My requirement is to find count of each type of exception, i tried using combination of -E and -C but that doesn't seems to be working : grep -ec 'Exception' -ec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)