Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying multiple files and appending time stamp before file extension Post 302980166 by Jesshelle David on Wednesday 24th of August 2016 05:01:36 PM
Old 08-24-2016
Copying multiple files and appending time stamp before file extension

Hi,

I have multiple files that read:

Code:
Asa.txt
Bad.txt
Gnu.txt

And I want to rename them using awk to

Asa_ddmmyytt.txt and so on
If there is a single command or more efficient executable please share!

Thanks!

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-24-2016 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to delete the files based on the time stamp of the file

Hi Everyone, I want to delete some files in a path based on the time stamp of the file that is i want to delete the file once in a month. Can any one help me on this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy all the files with time stamp and remove header,trailer from file

All, I am new to unix and i have the following requirement. I have file(s) landing into input directory with timestamp, first i want to copy all these files into seperate directory then i want to rename these files without timestamp and also remove header,trailer from that file.. Could... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrams
35 Replies

3. Linux

copying all files except those with certain extension

Hi, I have a root directory which has a big number of other subdirectories and contains a big number of files. I want to copy all these files and directories to another folder except files with certain extension, say .txt, files - how may I do this? Thanks, faizlo (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move files between file systems with privileges, time stamp

Hi I have to move files between file systems but files in new file system must have the same attributes as in old one (privileges, time stamp etc). Which tool is best : - ufsdump / ufsrestore - tar - cpio - pax - dd - mv Or maybe there is sth else, you suggest to use. Thx for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying files of certain extension?

Hi, I am using scp to copy a certain directory over the network. This folder contain some files that I am not interested in. My question is; is it possible to copy files of certain extension only, keeping the same directory hierarchy as it is (that is sub-folders)? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files with an extension

Hi I have a file with 100 million rows. I want to split them into 1000 subfiles and name them from 1.xls to 1000.xls.. Can I do it in awk? Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the dat time stamp just before the last extension of a file?

hi, A file name is in the form inside a variable FILE_NAME="s1.txt.xls" i want to append date and time stamp inbetween s1.txt and .xls. so after appending date time stamp the file name would be MOD_FILE_NAME="s1.txt.201307251422.xls" currently i am using the below code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve time stamp while copying a directory from Server B to Server A?

Experts, Please help me out here. How to preserve time stamp while copying a directory from Server B to Server A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed.vaghar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Appending time stamp for multiple file

Hi All, I am trying to append time stamp to all file with wild character. If you look above I want take all file with wild card *001* and append current time stamp to it. I did below code. But not sure if there is any easy way that can be done in a single step a=date +%s for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)