Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hidden special character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Hidden special character Post 302980089 by apmcd47 on Tuesday 23rd of August 2016 05:33:03 PM
Old 08-23-2016
An alternative to using od is cat -vET or cat -A. This will show all non-printing characters, tab characters and line-ends; I think the set list command in vi just shows the line ends and tab characters.

Andrew

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep in special character

All, I am trying to grep "-----" from a test when i use this i am getting the below error. What is the reason for this ?????... How can i over come this ##) echo "----------------- test_sys_job -----------------" | grep "-----------------" grep: illegal option -- - grep: illegal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Special Character in Vi

Hi, I have special characters in a file in unix which has many xml messages that comes from Messaging Queue. The loading process to the database failed due to special characters. Initially I could not able to detect it when I copy/paste in Windows editor as each line has more than 1000... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)