Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Mac OS X LDAP client not accepting ssh or console logins (PAM error) Post 302980084 by jlh on Tuesday 23rd of August 2016 03:33:00 PM
Old 08-23-2016
Thanks for responding.

Yes, I tried setting

Code:
PasswordAuthentication yes

and

uncommenting the "#UsePAM yes" line.

I still can't login, but at least the error changed a bit.... that's helpful

Code:
sh-3.2# ssh testuser@localhost
Password:
Password:
Password:
testuser@localhost's password:
Connection closed by ::1

Code:
Aug 23 13:18:51 macbook sshd[935]: error: PAM: permission denied for testuser from localhost via ::1
Aug 23 13:19:05 --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Aug 23 13:19:05 macbook sshd[935]: Failed password for testuser from ::1 port 50341 ssh2
Aug 23 13:19:05 fawkes sshd[935]: fatal: Access denied for user testuser by PAM account configuration [preauth]

So it seems that mac isn't authenticating properly or reading the password properly, but it's getting the other
attributes correct.

This is such a wacky problem.

I'm thinking maybe the issue is with the authentication mechanisms available to yosemite. If I query the directory server
directly from the mac I see the available SASL authentication mechanisms as:

Code:
sh-3.2#  ldapsearch -x -h FQDN_of_server -b  "" -s base "(objectclass=*)" supportedSASLMechanisms
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope baseObject
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: supportedSASLMechanisms
#

#
dn:
supportedSASLMechanisms: EXTERNAL
supportedSASLMechanisms: SCRAM-SHA-1
supportedSASLMechanisms: GSS-SPNEGO
supportedSASLMechanisms: GSSAPI
supportedSASLMechanisms: DIGEST-MD5
supportedSASLMechanisms: CRAM-MD5
supportedSASLMechanisms: LOGIN
supportedSASLMechanisms: PLAIN
supportedSASLMechanisms: ANONYMOUS

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

But the pam files show for sshd:

Code:
pam_krb5.so
pam_ntlm.so
pam_opendirectory.so

I was thinking that I need to add more SASL authentication methods to the system and I *think* that's done by editing
the .plist of the server in /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/LDAPv3, but I don't think Apple would make
the OS that fussy.

Maybe I'm overthinking this....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pam ldap limit authentication

I have a linux machine which authenticate users to ldap, this is working fine. But I would like to limit users that logon to the machines to just the system admins. The machines hosts different web sites which users accessed from there home directory like http://foo.mdx.ac.uk/~username At the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan1
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PAM LDAP Passwort

Hallo miteinander, ich bin gerade dabei ein eigenes C-Programm zuschreiben um mich über PAM auf einen LDAP Server zu authentifizieren. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saschaLin
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problems Hooking Sudoers into PAM/LDAP

Greetings!! I am attempting to solve a rather thorny issue and I was hoping that someone might have some insight into what is going on here.. At this point I have an openLDAP server that is working quite splendidly! :) I have a working directory with users able to authenticate it and TLS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluethundr
2 Replies

4. Solaris

LDAP, PAM or SSHD?

Hi, I´m trying to make Solaris authenticate users in AD. NTP is working, nsswitch.ldap is listed above, DNS is Ok and I made something different in pam.conf, krb5.conf and sshd_config (see above) nsswitch.ldap: passwd: files ldap group: files ldap hosts: files dns ipnodes: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpcavalcanti
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

LDAP and PAM Configurations for Windows 2008 R2 ADS and Cubox Ubuntu client

Please I am having problem to login using Active Directory Services 2008 R2 accounts on a cubox ubuntu (2.6.32.9-dove-5.4.2 #46). "getent passwd" only shows local users, however I can querry ADS users using ldapsearch command. I have 2 systems, one that does not use gdm can login with all users... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: powelltallen
0 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

LDAP and PAM Configurations for Windows 2008 R2 ADS and Cubox Ubuntu client

Please I am having problem to login using Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory Services accounts on a cubox ubuntu (2.6.32.9-dove-5.4.2 #46). "getent passwd" only shows local users, however I can querry ADS users using ldapsearch command. I have 2 systems, one that does not use gdm can login with all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powelltallen
1 Replies

7. SuSE

PAM password change failed, pam error 20

Hi, I use a software which can create account on many system or application. One of resource which is managed by this soft his a server SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64). patch level 3. This application which is an IBM application use ssh to launch command to create account in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scabarrus
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configure samba with PAM point 2 different LDAP

Hi, I would like to configure samba with PEM (with LDAP). I've already found, on the server, configured the PAM Authentication(with LDAP) for ssh. I wanted to know if it was possible to configure PAM for to authenticate to another LDAP only for SAMBA. Is possibile duplicate the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark888
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris LDOM not accepting keyboard input at console

Ran into this issue today and wanted to share how I fixed it as there is not a lot a lot of info online on this issue. We upgraded our NetApp controllers to Ontap 9 and reboot all our iSCSI attached LDOMs after. One of the LDOM did not come up cleanly and it would not accept any keyboard inputs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncherukuri
0 Replies

10. Solaris

LDAP Client not connecting to LDAP server

I have very limited knowledge on LDAP configuration and have been trying fix one issue, but unsuccessful. The server, I am working on, is Solaris-10 zone. sudoers is configured on LDAP (its not on local server). I have access to login directly on server with root, but somehow sudo is not working... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
9 Replies
CL-DUMP(1)						      General Commands Manual							CL-DUMP(1)

NAME
cl-dump - Dump and decode Directory Server replication change log SYNOPSIS
cl-dump [-h host] [-p port] [-D bind-dn] -w bind-password | -P bind-cert [-r replica-roots] [-o output-file] [-c] [-v] cl-dump -i changelog-ldif-file-with-base64encoding [-o output-file] [-c] DESCRIPTION
Dump and decode Directory Server replication change log OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -c Dump and interpret CSN only. This option can be used with or without -i option. -D bind-dn Directory server's bind DN. Default to "cn=Directory Manager" if the option is omitted. -h host Directory server's host. Default to the server where the script is running. -i changelog-ldif-file-with-base64encoding If you already have a ldif-like changelog, but the changes in that file are encoded, you may use this option to decode that ldif- like changelog. -o output-file Path name for the final result. Default to STDOUT if omitted. -p port Directory server's port. Default to 389. -P bind-cert Pathname of binding certificate DB -r replica-roots Specify replica roots whose changelog you want to dump. The replica roots may be separated by comma. All the replica roots would be dumped if the option is omitted. -v Print the version of this script. -w bind-password Password for the bind DN RESTRICTIONS
If you are not using -i option, the script should be run when the server is running, and from where the server's changelog directory is accessible. SEE ALSO
repl-monitor(1) AUTHOR
cl-dump was written by the 389 Project. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to http://bugzilla.redhat.com. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc. Used by permission. Copyright (C) 2008 Red Hat, Inc. This manual page was written by Michele Baldessari <michele@pupazzo.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the Directory Server license found in the LICENSE file of this software distribution. This license is essentially the GNU General Public License version 2 with an exception for plug-in distribution. May 18, 2008 CL-DUMP(1)