Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Looping through input/output
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Looping through input/output Post 302979861 by zajtat on Friday 19th of August 2016 11:48:42 PM
Old 08-20-2016
Looping through input/output

Hi,

I've got a directory of about 6000 txt files that look like this:

Code:
a b c d
e f g h
k l m n

I need to execute a command on them to combine them and, in the end, have one big file with all the needed columns taken form all the 6000 files. I've got the "combining" program, but my problem is that once I've combined the first two files that output file should be the input file for adding the third one and so on.
Here is a schematic:

Code:
combining.executable infile1 infile2 > outfile1
combining.executable infile3 outfile1 > outfile2
combining.executable infile4 outfile2 > outfile3
combining.executable infile5 outfile3 > outfile4
etc

I've created a list of all the files than need to be combined (named master-infile) and wrote this loop:

Code:
for i in $(cat master-infile);
do
   for((a=1;a<=6000;i++);
   do
      combining.executable ${i} ${i} > ${a}
   done
done

But the looping variables seem to be all wrong and all sorts of weird combinations of files get combined. I guess I need to get a count of output files? Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by vbe; 08-20-2016 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: icode tags => code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Output from one command as input to another

This site has been very helpful thus far.. I thank you all in advance for sharing the knowledge. Let me get to it. I am trying to write a very small script to take away from the boredom of doing the same thing over and over. Everynow and again I have to get the hex value of a file using a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BkontheShell718
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

input/Output settings

How can we view all the input/output settings of unix environment for a session (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paritoshc
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

input -output file

Hi, I am having an Input file .which is having a list of names. comapring with our database , needs to write the out put in file called output.txt , format should be name--> country--->phone number could you please help me.. thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: looping through the output of a 'system' command

Hi there could anybody point me in the right direction when it comes to looping through the output of a system command in perl (i.e. df -k) doing a test against each line to see if it matches? for example if i have a df -k output like this and I wanted to grab the lines that matched "sda" or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

6. Solaris

SVM Solaris 8 Problem. Metastat output looping

Hi friends, I'm newbie to SVM. Just wanna try installed it on one of our server (to do mirroring for disk0 and disk1) but i think im lost until now. :( the steps i've taken is as below:- 1.prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 2.metadb -a -c 3 -f c1t0d0s7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kronenose
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through for user input

Legends, I want to remain in the script until user passes the correct name. I had tried the below code; but it didn't work out. Please help echo "\nPlease enter the source system: \c" while read SYSTEM_NAME do if ]; then echo "\nMaking $SYSTEM_NAME as source system for particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping and saving output of each line separately

I have been trying this program for a long time. I am trying to read a file named "odon" line by line; read the first line, send it to do a command saved in a file "perm", once the first line has finished going through the content of the file perm, the result is saved with the number of the line.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: iconig
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping through the contents of array for output name

Hi all, I am trying to loop through the string contents of an array, to add it during the saving of the output files. I am trying this code to print each column and save it to unique file name, but it doesn't work. Thanks for any help. fnam=(japan usa uk) alldata.dat contained sample data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping over output of 'ls'

Hi, I have some output from 'ls' command and I want to loop over the output in a bash script. What would be a good way to go about it? For example, if the output of the ls command gives me 'prefix1 prefix2 prefix3', how can I set a loop that will iterate over these? many thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
5 Replies
BUILDAPP(1)							   User Commands						       BUILDAPP(1)

NAME
buildapp - application to create common lisp images SYNOPSIS
buildapp --output OUTPUT-FILE [--flag1 value1 ...] DESCRIPTION
Required flags: --output OUTPUT-FILE Use OUTPUT-FILE as the name of the executable to create Entry-point flags: --entry NAME Use the function identified by NAME as the executable's toplevel function. Called with SB-EXT:*POSIX-ARGV* as its only argument. If NAME has a colon, it is treated as a package separator, otherwise CL-USER is the implied package. --dispatched-entry DNAME Specify one possible entry function, depending on the name of the file that is used to start the application. The syntax of DNAME is APPLICATION-NAME/ENTRY-NAME. If the name used to start the executable matches APPLICATION-NAME, use ENTRY-NAME as the entry point. This can be used to choose one of many possible entry points by e.g. symlinking names to the application executable. If APPLICA- TION-NAME is empty, the specified ENTRY-NAME is used as a default if no other application names match. There may be any number of dispatched entry points, but only one default. Action flags: --load FILE Load FILE. CL:*PACKAGE* is bound to the CL-USER package before loading --load-system NAME Load an ASDF system identified by NAME --require NAME Use CL:REQUIRE to load NAME --eval CODE Use CL:EVAL to evaulate CODE. The code is read with CL:READ-FROM-STRING in the CL-USER package There may be any number of load/load-system/require/eval flags. Each is executed in command-line order before creating an executable. Load path flags: --load-path DIRECTORY When handling a --load, search DIRECTORY for files to load --asdf-path DIRECTORY When handling a --load-system, search DIRECTORY for ASDF system files to load --asdf-tree DIRECTORY When handling a --load-system, search DIRECTORY and all its subdirectories for ASDF system files to load There may be any number of load-path/asdf-path/asdf-tree flags. asdf-path arguments take precedence over asdf-tree arguments. Other flags: --help Show this usage message --logfile FILE Log compilation and load output to FILE --sbcl PATH-TO-SBCL Use PATH-TO-SBCL instead of the sbcl program found in your PATH environment variable For the latest documentation, see http://www.xach.com/lisp/buildapp/ buildapp 1.1 July 2010 BUILDAPP(1)