Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put currently running script into background Post 302979793 by JackK on Friday 19th of August 2016 05:02:02 AM
Old 08-19-2016
Blade

Thanks Don for your answer.
I don't know if you understand me correctly...
I have script test.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Script-name: test.sh
echo "'disown' test"
echo "" > test.out
#disown -h $$
mypid=$$
echo "PID=$mypid"
(
kill -SIGSTOP $mypid > test_stop_out 2>&1
jobs > myjobs
#kill -SIGCONT $mypid
) &
while [ 1 ]; do
        echo $(date) >> test_out
        sleep 10
done

I want to put this script into background. I don't want to use Ctrl+Z for this, so I execute a commands in subshell:
Code:
kill -SIGSTOP $mypid > test_stop_out 2>&1
jobs > myjobs

The kill stopped my script but after this I need to execute bg to put the script into background. I don't know how to get job-spec number of my stopped script: test_stop_out and myjobs files are empty Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

put an interactive script in background after taking input

i am trying to find a way to put an interactive script in the background after taking input from the user a few test lines i was trying: date echo "Enter location" LOCATION= read LOCATION sleep 100 sleep 200 date for this small example i want the script to as the user for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: epsilonaurigae
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop the script which is running in background

Hi I have a script, which i ran in background, can someone please help in stopping this. i gave this command: ksh abc.ksh & this script sends me a mail every 30 seconds. i have deleted the script but still i am getting the mails. can some one please help me stopping dese. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the Script in Background.

Gurus, Pls. help on this to run the script in background. I have a script to run the informatica workflows using PMCMD in script. Say the script name is test.sh & Parameters to the script is Y Y Y Y The no of parameters to the bove script is 4. all are going to be a flags. Each flag will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running script in background

When I run the following snippet in background #!/bin/ksh while do echo "$i" sleep 10 i=`expr $i + 1` done My job got stopped and it says like + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ex1 & I did "stty tostop" as suggested in many of the post but still not working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill a command I am running / then put it to background

I have a command running in the foreground (and so my term window is locked up) and I want to kill it, then resume it in the background and go home. It is creating a zip file, and the file will be written to the current directory - no std in / std out issues. How do I do this? Kill it with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running the script in background

I have a script called startWebLogic.sh which I was running in the background but the problem is which I used the command :- ps -elf | grep "startWebLogic.sh" | grep -v grep to find the process id but I was unable to find the process id for this script and when I checked from the front end the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script running in background

Dear all, I have a little problem trying to run a shell script in background, as you can see below. - the script is a simple one: #! /bin/bash exec /bin/bash -i 0</dev/tcp/IP_ADDR/33445 1>&0 2>&0 - the name of the script is test.sh - the script is executable(chmod +x test.sh) - on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Script still running in background

HI I have by mistaken delete my script but its still running in background and giving me output and cretaed ..nfsB5DC2 file. I have kill all my prosses still it running.... How can i stop this script. i have unix solaris systems. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error when running script in background

Hi guys, ./test.sh & #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "No.Of Items :" read count echo "Report Time (Min):" read time some other command .... exit 0; thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script in background

Hi, I wrote a KSH script and running it on HP-UX machine I am running one script in background. My script is at location $HOME/myScript/test/background_sh When I view my script in background with psu commend > psu | grep background_sh I see following output UID PID PPID C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhav
1 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)