Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to use space in /tmp to increase root? Post 302979633 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 17th of August 2016 06:08:45 AM
Old 08-17-2016
Okay, so it looks like you don't have the problem I considered.

Does the output from du -kx / | sort -n give you clues as to where all the space is being used?

Is the output from df complete? If all the applications and data are in other filesystems, that is good and it might just be that the root filesystem allocation is too small.

Have you considered all the suggestions in the thread, such as in posts 3 & 9?

I'm still not clear if the filesystem in within LVM (or equivalent) or not. It looks like you might have a simple slice of disk and that may be difficult to work with. What else is on the LUN?

Can we have the output from the various displays to see what has been allocated? We can then consider what is the best way for you to progress.

Kind regards,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moved root directory to tmp

I just received a phone call from a customer who accidentally typed this in: # mv * /tmp They did this from the root directory. I think they thought they were in a different folder. So now no commands work. I even adjusted the path to have the /tmp in front of everything. Even when I went... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Increase size of /tmp swap File

Hi Guys I need to increase the size of my /tmp swap file. What is the easiest way to do this. Thanks Carson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmackin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

/tmp out of space error

Hi , I am a documentum consultant and facing a problem with a shell script that launches an installer to install documentum . The problem i am facing is that , when i invoke the below script to install the software it says - The directory /tmp does not contain enough space to extract... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h.shergill
1 Replies

5. Solaris

increase Root size

Dear all, I am very new to solaris, I have installed solaris 10, i tried installing few softwares into file system, unfortunately system failed to install stating "No space left on device " i searched few threads and it says, we have to increase root size. where my root size is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhnki
2 Replies

6. AIX

i-nodes - out of disk space on /tmp

Usage: We run test build jobs that login to our AIX machines and create many small files in /tmp. After these jobs complete, they delete their temporary files that they have created. Issue: After approximately a week /tmp appears to become full. Issuing the command “df –g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bblondin
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Increase /tmp size temporarily

Hi all system Solaris 10 10/09 s10x_u8wos_08a X86 ufs file system I would like to install SunStudio. After the gui comes up it shows that i need to add swap space of at least 900m. the command swap-s shows 880m free. My question is can you temporarily increase swap by 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

increase root partition

i am using redhat 5.4 and my root size shows 98 %, how can i increase root size # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 77G 16G 75G 98% / /dev/sda1 2.4G 82M 2.2G 4% /boot tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
8 Replies

9. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase /tmp file system size dynamically in Solaris zone

Hi Please let me know how to increase the size of /tmp file system from 512m to 1024m dynamically without reboot in solaris zone # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on zones/zone1 11G 1.0G 10.0G 10% / /dev 11G 1.0G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies
QUOTACHECK(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     QUOTACHECK(8)

NAME
quotacheck -- filesystem quota consistency checker SYNOPSIS
quotacheck [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotacheck [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotacheck examines each filesystem, builds a table of current disk usage, and compares this table against that recorded in the disk quota file for the filesystem. If any inconsistencies are detected, both the quota file and the current system copy of the incorrect quotas are updated (the latter only occurs if an active filesystem is checked). By default both user and group quotas are checked. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotacheck will check all the read-write filesystems with an existing mount option file at its root. The mount option file specifies the types of quotas that are to be checked. -g Only group quotas are checked. The mount option file, .quota.ops.group, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -u Only user quotas are checked. The mount option file, .quota.ops.user, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -v quotacheck reports discrepancies between the calculated and recorded disk quotas. Specifying both -g and -u is equivalent to the default. Parallel passes are run on the filesystems required, in an identical fashion to fsck(8). Normally quotacheck operates silently. Quotacheck expects each filesystem being checked to have quota data files named .quota.user and/or .quota.group located at the filesystem root. If a binary data file is not present, quotacheck will create it. The default filename and root location cannot be overridden. Quotacheck is normally run at fsck time. Quotacheck accesses the raw device in calculating the actual disk usage for each user. Thus, the filesystems checked should be quiescent while quotacheck is running. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. The binary data files will be created by quotacheck, if they don't already exist. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), edquota(8), fsck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotacheck command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution October 17, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution