Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to use space in /tmp to increase root? Post 302979560 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 16th of August 2016 09:17:56 AM
Old 08-16-2016
Did you find out what was using all the space? Your plan to just move /var and hope for the best puts you in a worse position in my opinion.

if you can work out what space is used then perhaps we can discuss a reason and an action plan to suit. If you run du -ksx / and the space used does not tally with the output from df -k then there is a good chance that a directory with content has been over-mounted with a filesystem and the content is now inaccessible, but of course still costing space.

Can you show us the output from the two commands? The du will take quite a while to run.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moved root directory to tmp

I just received a phone call from a customer who accidentally typed this in: # mv * /tmp They did this from the root directory. I think they thought they were in a different folder. So now no commands work. I even adjusted the path to have the /tmp in front of everything. Even when I went... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Increase size of /tmp swap File

Hi Guys I need to increase the size of my /tmp swap file. What is the easiest way to do this. Thanks Carson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmackin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

/tmp out of space error

Hi , I am a documentum consultant and facing a problem with a shell script that launches an installer to install documentum . The problem i am facing is that , when i invoke the below script to install the software it says - The directory /tmp does not contain enough space to extract... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h.shergill
1 Replies

5. Solaris

increase Root size

Dear all, I am very new to solaris, I have installed solaris 10, i tried installing few softwares into file system, unfortunately system failed to install stating "No space left on device " i searched few threads and it says, we have to increase root size. where my root size is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhnki
2 Replies

6. AIX

i-nodes - out of disk space on /tmp

Usage: We run test build jobs that login to our AIX machines and create many small files in /tmp. After these jobs complete, they delete their temporary files that they have created. Issue: After approximately a week /tmp appears to become full. Issuing the command “df –g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bblondin
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Increase /tmp size temporarily

Hi all system Solaris 10 10/09 s10x_u8wos_08a X86 ufs file system I would like to install SunStudio. After the gui comes up it shows that i need to add swap space of at least 900m. the command swap-s shows 880m free. My question is can you temporarily increase swap by 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

increase root partition

i am using redhat 5.4 and my root size shows 98 %, how can i increase root size # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 77G 16G 75G 98% / /dev/sda1 2.4G 82M 2.2G 4% /boot tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
8 Replies

9. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase /tmp file system size dynamically in Solaris zone

Hi Please let me know how to increase the size of /tmp file system from 512m to 1024m dynamically without reboot in solaris zone # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on zones/zone1 11G 1.0G 10.0G 10% / /dev 11G 1.0G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies
devfs(7FS)                                                         File Systems                                                         devfs(7FS)

NAME
devfs - Devices file system DESCRIPTION
The devfs filesystem manages a name space of all devices under the Solaris operating environment and is mounted during boot on the /devices name space. The /devices name space is dynamic and reflects the current state of accessible devices under the Solaris operating environment. The names of all attached device instances are present under /devices. The content under /devices is under the exclusive control of the devfs filesystem and cannot be changed. The system may be configured to include a device in one of two ways: By means of dynamic reconfiguration (DR), using, for example, cfgadm(1M). For devices driven by driver.conf(4) enumeration, edit the driver.conf file to add a new entry, then use update_drv(1M) to cause the system to re-read the driver.conf file and thereby enumerate the instance. The device may be attached through a number of system calls and programs, including open(2), stat(2) and ls(1). During device attach, the device driver typically creates minor nodes corresponding to the device via ddi_create_minor_node(9F). If the attach is successful, one or more minor nodes referring to the device are created under /devices. Operations like mknod(2), mkdir(2) and creat(2) are not supported in /devices. FILES
/devices Mount point for devfs file system SEE ALSO
devfsadm(1M), vfstab(4), attach(9E) NOTES
The /devices name space cannot be unmounted. All content at or below the /devices name space is an implementation artifact and subject to incompatible change or removal without notifi- cation. SunOS 5.10 26 Oct 2004 devfs(7FS)