Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function Returns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function Returns Post 302979351 by Don Cragun on Friday 12th of August 2016 04:44:27 PM
Old 08-12-2016
Saying you're getting an error when you hit return without showing us the exact error you are getting wastes all of our time and delays getting help from us. But, in this case it is obvious that you still have the syntax errors in the tests in your if statement, ksh (and any other shell conforming to the standards) requires whitespace separating all of the arguments in a test command (AKA [ expression ] command), and the numeric equal comparison operator in that expression is -eq; not eq. This might come closer to what you're trying to do, but without seeing how you are calling the functions you're talking about and seeing how you're testing the results produced by this code segment, we don't know whether or not it will do what you need:
Code:
if [ $zone -eq 4 ] || [ $zone -eq 5 ] || [ $zone -eq 6 ] || [ $zone eq 7 ] || [ $zone -eq 10 ] || [ $zone -eq 11 ] || [ $zone -eq 20 ] || [ $zone -eq 21 ] || [ $zone -eq 23 ] || [ $zone -eq 25 ]
then
	$zonecheck=1
else
	echo "That's not a region\n"
fi

or with more readable lines:
Code:
if [ $zone -eq 4 ] || [ $zone -eq 5 ] || [ $zone -eq 6 ] || [ $zone eq 7 ] || \
    [ $zone -eq 10 ] || [ $zone -eq 11 ] || [ $zone -eq 20 ] || [ $zone -eq 21 ] || \
    [ $zone -eq 23 ] || [ $zone -eq 25 ]
then
	$zonecheck=1
else
	echo "That's not a region\n"
fi

and, for something with this many tests, a case statement might be a better choice than an if statement.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function returns string

Can I create a function to return non-interger value in shell script? for example, function getcommand () { echo "read command" read command echo $command } command=$(getcommand) I tried to do something as above. The statement echo "read command" does not show up. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep without returns...

Is there a command where I can pipe my grep into it and it will output it with spaces rather than returns? Example I want to turn prompt$ grep blah file blah blah into this prompt$ grep blah file | someCommand blah blah (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function returns wrong values - solved

Hi I have a small function which returns a wrong value. The function tries to make a connection to oracle database and tries to get the open_mode of the database in the variable status. However when a database is down the value of the status column is set to READWRITE i am not sure why. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep returns nothing

Hi all, I am trying to grep a .txt file for a word. When I hit enter, it returns back to $ The file is 4155402 in size and is named in this way: *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt I use this command, being in the same directory as the file: grep -i "invalid" *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dlsym() returns 0 for an existing function

Sometimes I observe this in gdb: (gdb) br my_function Breakpoint .. at 0x...: file ..., line ... i.e., "my_function" does exist in the current executable. however, dlsym does not find it: (gdb) p dlsym(0,"my_function") $6 = 0 This is a C program; dlsym does find other defined functions and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sds
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation returns no value

#/bin/sh ..... #convert memory to MB let "mmsize_a= ($mmsize)/256" let "mminuse_a= ($mminuse)/256" let "mmfree_a= ($mmsize_a -$mminuse_a)" let "mmfreepercent= (($mmfree_a)/($mmsize_a))*100" # #format output echo "\n\n######################" >>$sndFile echo "\n$sysName Total Memory usage"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function returns a value but cannot be stored in other variable

I need help to store the value returned from the function to one variable and then use that variable. PREVIOUS_DATE_FUNCTION() { date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY YEAR DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1` case "$DAY" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1` case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in function returns value

Hi, I need to return a value from the function. the value will be the output from cat command which uses random fucntion. #!/bin/ksh hello() { var1=$(`cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-!%&()*+,-/:;<=>?_'|fold -w 10 | head -n 1`) echo "value is" var1 return var1 } hello var=$?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit always returns 0

This returns 0 even when it does not delete any files. Is it because -print returns 0? RETVAL=$? Docs_Backups=/media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/Documents_Backups/ Scripts_Backups=/media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/Script_Backups/ # create some old files #touch -d 20120101... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
4 Replies
XmScrollVisible(library call)											     XmScrollVisible(library call)

NAME
XmScrollVisible -- A ScrolledWindow function that makes an invisible descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrolledW.h> void XmScrollVisible( Widget scrollw_widget, Widget widget, Dimension left_right_margin, Dimension top_bottom_margin); DESCRIPTION
XmScrollVisible makes an obscured or partially obscured widget or gadget descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible. The function re- positions the work area and sets the specified margins between the widget and the nearest viewport boundary. The widget's location relative to the viewport determines whether one or both of the margins must be adjusted. This function requires that the XmNscrollingPolicy of the ScrolledWindow widget be set to XmAUTOMATIC. scrollw_widget Specifies the ID of the ScrolledWindow widget whose work area window contains an obscured descendant. widget Specifies the ID of the widget to be made visible. left_right_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the left or right edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved horizontally to make it visible. top_bottom_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the top or bottom edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved vertically to make it visible. For a complete definition of ScrolledWindow and its associated resources, see XmScrolledWindow(3) RELATED
XmScrolledWindow(3). XmScrollVisible(library call)