Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Need to disable CBC mode cipher encryption along with MD5 & 96 bit MAC algorithm Post 302979342 by amity on Friday 12th of August 2016 02:08:40 PM
Old 08-12-2016
Thanks Jim

Well I logged this issue here because I wanted to know if someone has already gone
through this issue & looking forward to disable specific CBC-mode ciphers only where have issues as I new that disabling all the CBC mode cipher might bring unpredictable results. So now finally even I have decided to go for higher version patch need to be installed for this issue to be resolved.

As far as Disabling 96-bit HMAC And MD5-based HMAC Algorithms are concern, I recently find the solution which is by adding "MACs hmac-sha1" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config & then restart the SSH service. & I believe , there is no patching required in this case.
MAC defaults are mention in man page of sshd_config

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

MD5 to DES encryption

Is it possible to change the type of encryption from MD5 to DES without removing a user? Way back when this server was created, users were created with the MD5 encryption. Now, all users created with DES encryption. Is it possible to just change the type of password encryption? Users using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Larsonist
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to disable encryption below 128 bit in Websphere ?

Hi, Hi I have setup Websphere Portal and Apache server on Solaris. The problem is that clients are allowed to negotiate lower encryption levels and by default the Websphere Apache HTTP server accepts 56-bit keys (your Firefox client requested 256-bit AES below). So How to disable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
0 Replies

3. Solaris

md5 encryption on solaris 8

is there patches enable passwords of greater than 8 characters with only md5 encryption (rather than the older crypt) for solaris 8. I am migrating a number of solaris 8 domains to branded zones. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustin
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

How to Disable Ciphers and Reconfigure Encryption?

Hello, I recently had a Retina scan of my system and there are some findings I do not understand. SSL Week Cipher Strength Supported - Retina has detected that the targeted SSL Service supports a cryptographically weak cipher strength... Disable ciphers that support less than 128-bit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringman
4 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 MD5 encryption support

Hi, I did some NIS migration tests recently. The target is to migrate the NIS server from Solaris 8 to Redhat Linux 6.5. And, I found there are encryption issues while Linux NIS using MD5 hashing password for authentication whereas Solaris 8 clients using DES encryption. It causes issues... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disabling CBC Cipher mode causes login problems

Hi, As part of the security hardening activity in our team, we have to disable CBC mode cipher encryption, and enable CTR or GCM cipher mode encryption. To do this, in sshd_config I comment out these lines : Ciphers aes128-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc MACS hmac-sha1,hmac-md5 and add... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
9 Replies
Digest::HMAC(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Digest::HMAC(3pm)

NAME
Digest::HMAC - Keyed-Hashing for Message Authentication SYNOPSIS
# Functional style use Digest::HMAC qw(hmac hmac_hex); $digest = hmac($data, $key, &myhash); print hmac_hex($data, $key, &myhash); # OO style use Digest::HMAC; $hmac = Digest::HMAC->new($key, "Digest::MyHash"); $hmac->add($data); $hmac->addfile(*FILE); $digest = $hmac->digest; $digest = $hmac->hexdigest; $digest = $hmac->b64digest; DESCRIPTION
HMAC is used for message integrity checks between two parties that share a secret key, and works in combination with some other Digest algorithm, usually MD5 or SHA-1. The HMAC mechanism is described in RFC 2104. HMAC follow the common "Digest::" interface, but the constructor takes the secret key and the name of some other simple "Digest::" as argument. The hmac() and hmac_hex() functions and the Digest::HMAC->new() constructor takes an optional $blocksize argument as well. The HMAC algorithm assumes the digester to hash by iterating a basic compression function on blocks of data and the $blocksize should match the byte-length of such blocks. The default $blocksize is 64 which is suitable for the MD5 and SHA-1 digest functions. For stronger algorithms the blocksize probably needs to be increased. SEE ALSO
Digest::HMAC_MD5, Digest::HMAC_SHA1 RFC 2104 AUTHORS
Graham Barr <gbarr@ti.com>, Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.12.4 2011-07-25 Digest::HMAC(3pm)